International > Australian

Being "out" in your local community

(1/2) > >>

Sarah82:
As I've mentioned before, ad nauseam I know, I'm a carer living in a fairly close knit retirement village with my Nana.
I recently started outing myself, to my Nana's friends and some of the people with whom I have regular interactions, telling them about my transition the hows and whys of it.

So far all the reactions I have received are positive and even on my recent trips out as myself I faced no negativity or mockery... Although a friend of mine said in jest "Who, in their right mind, would antagonise a 6'2" transwoman who is a former boxer and crowd controller?"

I wanted to know how my brothers and sisters here in Australia have found this stage of their transition?

I've heard the horror stories but I have always thought that most Australians are too layed back worries about what others are doing, I think it might be to do with the heat.

Thanks for humoring me.
Hugs,
Sarah

Rainbow Bay:
I haven't really had any negative responses in my coming out.

Although, I lived as genderqueer for awhile before transitioning and one morning on my way to work a big islander guy asked me if I was a 'he' or a 'she'. I didn't say anything, and besides I was using gender neutral pronouns at the time, haha. He asked me again and I remained silent and then he just walked away looking confused.

But since transitioning everyone has been nice and polite to me. I live and work in the inner-west of Sydney so it feels like a pretty safe bubble to me. It's probably different for transpeople living in more rural or conservative areas. idk.

Cindy:
I've had no problems at all. Well except that each grocery trip is twice as long as the shop assistants and I need to catch up on our love lives :laugh:

As for rural areas, I do recall my psych telling me a story. He reassigned a transman from a rural community and several weeks later got a later back from the local pub.

Dear Dr,

Thank you for helping X. He is a lot happier being a guy and now doesn't beat us up at the pub every Friday.

Yours the staff and guys at XYZ Pub.

Rainbow Bay:

--- Quote from: Cindy on November 10, 2015, 02:03:37 am ---
Thank you for helping X. He is a lot happier being a guy and now doesn't beat us up at the pub every Friday.

Yours the staff and guys at XYZ Pub.

--- End quote ---

Haha, this is great. Another social benefit of embracing transgender people. xxx

Serenation:
My youth was pretty rough in rural Australia in the late 80's early 90's, I was born with messed up hormones and people didn't like it. I guess that's more people having an issue with intersex than anything else (and it's not like they knew, they just seen that I was different). After going full time female I had 0 issues. People are always very kind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version