General Discussions > Hobbies

Model trains, yes I love trains and girls can...

<< < (2/8) > >>

big kim:
A partial interest in railways.I  was born in 1957 and grew up in the 60s when Dr Beeching destroyed the UK rail network.3 of my local   stations were closed down. I like local history and I often look at old railway photos.

Lady Smith:
It just goes to show what a diverse hobby railway modelling is.  There really is something to suit everyone.  I've always been steam era as I'm just old enough to remember the last days of steam on the NZ Government Railways.  Diesels have never done a thing for me, though some early electric locos will quicken my interest.
I started out modelling the Midland Railway and later the London, Midland and Scottish in 00 and then when finescale scratch building took my fancy I modelled the Furness Railway in finescale 'S' scale. No photos survive from this time unfortunately.

When I started having problems with aging eyesight and pains in my hands from the years I'd spent as a heavy truck mechanic I moved up a size again to '0' gauge working in old fashioned coarse scale.  This time it was the London & South Western Railway that captured my interest.  After working in finescale old fashioned coarse scale was a revelation and I soon discovered i was having fun instead of spending hours and hours shaping tiny pieces of brass accurately and soldering them together with tiny tools.
I had to sell a lot of my '0' gauge stuff when I became ill, but I have kept back some vintage pieces which I'm hoping to be able to set up as a layout again.

'In the spirit of' LS&WR loco I built from a pile of left over distressed tinplate loco parts, robotics gears & motor and cast fittings. This little loco is able to haul a surprising number of not very free rolling tinplate goods wagons. The handbuilt wooden coach is very old and is a treasure that I was very lucky to find.  I have other handbuilt wooden models from this era as well. The coach bogie in the foreground is also made from scrap bits and is for an as yet unfinished project.
[Link Removed]

I think that will be enough from me for now  ;D

Lady Smith:

--- Quote from: big kim on December 10, 2015, 01:59:39 am ---A partial interest in railways.I  was born in 1957 and grew up in the 60s when Dr Beeching destroyed the UK rail network.3 of my local   stations were closed down. I like local history and I often look at old railway photos.

--- End quote ---

Oh yes, I remember the horrible Dr Beeching well  :(  :'(

big kim:
He also destroyed a lot of historic architecture, there were some splendid stations demolished. Lady Smith you have made some excellent models, let's see more please

Tysilio:
Yes, please, Lady Smith, those are some great models! And I love your silly little people -- they sort of keep things in perspective...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version