News and Events > Religious news

Being Christian and Transsexual

<< < (11/11)

TSL_NB:
I don't know if this is the appropriate thread to share this, but here goes:

Since coming out, I have found myself reconnecting with God in a wonderfully whole and complete way.

And, overall, my experience with others since coming out has been actually pretty good.   

However, the one aspect where I have received some negative reactions, wasn't with coming out as trans, and not even saying I'm trans and a Christian.

It's when I have told people I am transgender, but also pro-life.

I know this can be a divisive topic, and many people have varying, and different opinions on it, but this is something I have really thought long and hard about, and I would like to share why I came to these conclusions, as a matter of my faith.

For starters, I think we need to re-frame how it is publicly viewed.  It's been framed as a 'woman's right to choose,' but as we now understand better, this is not gender-specific.  Men can be the 'XX provider,'  and women can be the 'XY provider' (for lack of a better way of saying it).

But also, for me, while growing up, and struggling with my own identity, I can't keep count of how many times I would hear some truly horrible remarks about people who were transgender, from supposedly pro-life leaning people themselves.   Things like 'If I knew my kid was going to be queer, I would be pro-abortion.'   That's just terrible, and just wrong, and really damaged me at a very deep level.

Plus, as we know, how our gender identity is really something that is with us from the very beginning, some horrible regimes out there would love nothing more than to have the flexibility to terminate pregnancies if it turns out the child is 2SLGBTQIA+ of any kind.   

And, furthermore, the truth is, I don't think we understand life at all, as a human species.   Having five kids of my own, and seeing two of them from conception (the other three are my stepkids, but still my kids), I can tell you their personalities shone right from the start. 

It's hard to explain, but seeing them as kids now, I saw their spirits right then, too.   

Life truly is a gift, and I don't think it should be denied.   

I never want to deny the rights of anyone else, just like I wouldn't want my own denied, and I've struggled over this, but if I am in error, I feel like at least I'm erring on the side of caution.

I know some may disagree, and that's okay.  I was just surprised at some of the less-than-civil reactions I have received on this one item (but, NONE of that was from here....everyone here has been truly wonderful).

Anyhow, I wanted to get this off my chest.   
Thanks for listening, again. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version