News and Events > Religious news

Being Christian and Transsexual

<< < (11/11)

TSL_NB:
I don't know if this is the appropriate thread to share this, but here goes:

Since coming out, I have found myself reconnecting with God in a wonderfully whole and complete way.

And, overall, my experience with others since coming out has been actually pretty good.   

However, the one aspect where I have received some negative reactions, wasn't with coming out as trans, and not even saying I'm trans and a Christian.

It's when I have told people I am transgender, but also pro-life.

I know this can be a divisive topic, and many people have varying, and different opinions on it, but this is something I have really thought long and hard about, and I would like to share why I came to these conclusions, as a matter of my faith.

For starters, I think we need to re-frame how it is publicly viewed.  It's been framed as a 'woman's right to choose,' but as we now understand better, this is not gender-specific.  Men can be the 'XX provider,'  and women can be the 'XY provider' (for lack of a better way of saying it).

But also, for me, while growing up, and struggling with my own identity, I can't keep count of how many times I would hear some truly horrible remarks about people who were transgender, from supposedly pro-life leaning people themselves.   Things like 'If I knew my kid was going to be queer, I would be pro-abortion.'   That's just terrible, and just wrong, and really damaged me at a very deep level.

Plus, as we know, how our gender identity is really something that is with us from the very beginning, some horrible regimes out there would love nothing more than to have the flexibility to terminate pregnancies if it turns out the child is 2SLGBTQIA+ of any kind.   

And, furthermore, the truth is, I don't think we understand life at all, as a human species.   Having five kids of my own, and seeing two of them from conception (the other three are my stepkids, but still my kids), I can tell you their personalities shone right from the start. 

It's hard to explain, but seeing them as kids now, I saw their spirits right then, too.   

Life truly is a gift, and I don't think it should be denied.   

I never want to deny the rights of anyone else, just like I wouldn't want my own denied, and I've struggled over this, but if I am in error, I feel like at least I'm erring on the side of caution.

I know some may disagree, and that's okay.  I was just surprised at some of the less-than-civil reactions I have received on this one item (but, NONE of that was from here....everyone here has been truly wonderful).

Anyhow, I wanted to get this off my chest.   
Thanks for listening, again. :)

BritneyX:

--- Quote from: TSL_NB on September 16, 2020, 03:20:33 pm ---It's when I have told people I am transgender, but also pro-life.

--- End quote ---

Don't know if you will read this, but here it goes.  First, I would like thank you for having the courage to speak your Truth.  I too have received the worst blowback from those who should have been the most supportive.   There are a number of people and groups out there that make demands in inclusion and acceptance, yet they fail to do it themselves.  They have a narrrow outlook, either from a lack of understanding or they are engrossed with pandering of politics.

As for everything else within this discussion, take it direct to Jesus.  He is always listening.

amandam:
I'd like to see some sources on what DebbieB said.

Delilah9:
I'm a transgender Muslim, I'm happy to know you here. It doesn't matter who you are, it matters how you feel inside. I feel like a girl inside. This is important to me.

Mary_M:
If you are transgender then your internal gender identity differs in some way from your assigned sex at birth.
The former is the gender identity of your mind/soul/spirit/heart the latter is based on your physical bodily appearance.

Which of these is fundamental and which can be modified to match the other?
The science is clear: you can change your bodily appearance and gender expression, but you cannot change the gender identity of your mind.

But which of the two does God declare to be fundamental?

"Do not look on his appearance ... for the LORD does not see as mortals see; they look on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart" 1 Sam 16:7

"For a person is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is true circumcision something external and physical.  Rather, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is a matter of the heart it is spiritual and not literal.  Such a person receives praise not from others but from God."  Rom 2:28-29

In the last quote, replace "Jew" by "man" or "woman" as appropriate and replace "circumcision" with "gender identity": having a male or female gender identity is at least as, of not more, fundamental than having a Jewish identity.  So if the verse applies to Jewish identity then, a fortiori ("how much more"), does it apply to gender identity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version