General Discussions > Gender Studies

Mathematics and the Male brain

(1/10) > >>

KarlMars:
Do you believe that being better at math has anything to do with the male brain? I can't do math very well at all. When I was in the remedial math class there were mostly guys in it.

Paul Muad-Dib:
No.

I sucked at math all through school. Didn't grasp a word of it.

Teachers put me in the lowest set for maths in high school and my parents freaked about it. They went in and demanded I be moved from this set where nobody was learning anything and the teacher didn't seem to give a <poo> either and ordered me moved into the highest set for maths on the condition I "prove" my ability wasn't a write-off. My dad taught me after school and I worked my ass off. Got top marks. This probably had a whole lot to do with my confidence being destroyed in school by bad maths teachers and the fact my father was an adept and accomplished teacher himself.

Mathematical ability has nothing to do with what sex brain you have but how you are taught in my opinon. I was bad because the teaching was bad, I started to doubt my own ability, hated and feared the subject and ended up in a vicious cycle that was easily broken within a year by some decent coaching and a willingness to succeed.

suzifrommd:

--- Quote from: alienbodybuilder on March 07, 2016, 10:00:15 pm ---Do you believe that being better at math has anything to do with the male brain? I can't do math very well at all. When I was in the remedial math class there were mostly guys in it.

--- End quote ---

I know many women who excel at math and numerical subjects.

OTOH, for some reason I can't explain, it seems more males than females seem to enjoy it. Might be the social aspect. The need for companionship and cooperation seems to be found more often in females than males. Math and computer work tends to be a solitary pursuit more of the time.

KathyLauren:
In high school, I was the top of my class in math.  I entered several provincial math contests and won a couple.  My recollection is that there were more girls than boys entering the contests from my class.

'Course, now, many years later, I find out that I have a female brain.   ???

Elis:
I was really bad at maths and couldn't grasp it at all. I was put into the lowest set at secondary school because of it. From the articles I've read girls do better than boys at maths in school. Maybe due to the social aspect; but I think due to girls being able to generally concentrate better than boys. Whether that's down to nature or nurture who knows.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version