General Discussions > Gender Studies

Mathematics and the Male brain

<< < (2/10) > >>

Eva Marie:
For me learning a new subject has more to do with the teacher and the book. I'm currently working on my computer science degree and there is a TON of math to get through. I was doing OK with all of the math until this semester when the combination of a horrible textbook and a teacher that was whipping through the subject without explaining anything caused me to get stuck on some topics leading to me withdrawing from the class. I plan to do studying over the summer using a different textbook and will take another swing at it in the fall.

I don't believe that men have an inherent ability to do math and women don't - I think we all have different ways of learning and the way math is taught today works against the way that women learn.

KarlMars:

--- Quote from: T.K.G.W. on March 08, 2016, 06:35:11 am ---No.

I sucked at math all through school. Didn't grasp a word of it.

Teachers put me in the lowest set for maths in high school and my parents freaked about it. They went in and demanded I be moved from this set where nobody was learning anything and the teacher didn't seem to give a <not allowed> either and ordered me moved into the highest set for maths on the condition I "prove" my ability wasn't a write-off. My dad taught me after school and I worked my <not allowed> off. Got top marks. This probably had a whole lot to do with my confidence being destroyed in school by bad maths teachers and the fact my father was an adept and accomplished teacher himself.

Mathematical ability has nothing to do with what sex brain you have but how you are taught in my opinon. I was bad because the teaching was bad, I started to doubt my own ability, hated and feared the subject and ended up in a vicious cycle that was easily broken within a year by some decent coaching and a willingness to succeed.

--- End quote ---

Your father sounds great. I'm discouraged because many jobs/careers I'm looking into say they require math, yet I've known a lot of men who did similar jobs who had mental disabilities or were illiterate.

Devlyn:

--- Quote from: alienbodybuilder on March 07, 2016, 10:00:15 pm ---Do you believe that being better at math has anything to do with the male brain? I can't do math very well at all. When I was in the remedial math class there were mostly guys in it.

--- End quote ---

No, I believe that's stereotyping at it's finest. 

KarlMars:

--- Quote from: Devlyn Marie on March 08, 2016, 10:35:01 am ---No, I believe that's stereotyping at it's finest.

--- End quote ---

One thing I've noticed is that many binary trans people are more interested in fitting gender stereotypes than cis people. Some cis people I know call me sexist and think my perception is warped. If it is I don't know how else to think. When I look at the way different people perceive the world around them and themselves in relation I keep thinking we all might as well mentally be on our own planet. It reminds me of the song by Louis Armstrong "What a wonderful world".

suzifrommd:

--- Quote from: Devlyn Marie on March 08, 2016, 10:35:01 am ---No, I believe that's stereotyping at it's finest.

--- End quote ---

As a teacher in a mathematically related field, I can state that the phenomenon is 100% real even if the reasons are obscure.

In the introductory classes in my subject, the ratio of boys to girls is 1 to 1. In the intermediate classes and advanced classes it's about 5 to 1. This held true both when male teachers and when female teachers taught the introductory classes. It held true when a male (me) taught the intermediate and advanced classes and holds equally true now that a female (still me) teaches them.

Given that these are elective classes that students choose whether or not to sign up for, one must concluded that males prefer to study this subject in depth in much greater numbers than females. This is not stereotyping. It's factual observation of a phenomenon that has held steady during the entire 15 years I've been teaching this subject.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version