Author Topic: Things you'd like to see in the new survival world?  (Read 5699 times)

Offline ThaliaNyx

• Friend
  • Just being me
Things you'd like to see in the new survival world?
« on: March 17, 2016, 04:08:36 pm »
Since the release of Minecraft 1.9, there's been a lot of discussion about making a new survival world when the server updates. What I'm wondering is what everyone would like to see in that world - mostly for the spawn area, but also for player homes, plugins, game dynamics, et cetera. I've heard several ideas, and come up with some myself, but I thought it would be helpful to have a place for suggestions.

I'm really looking forward to hearing your ideas!
Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long, till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on

Offline ThaliaNyx

• Friend
  • Just being me
Re: Things you'd like to see in the new survival world?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 04:20:55 pm »
No offense to the previous server, but I think the spawn could be improved upon. I often have difficulty trying to find a safe path to guide new players down from the spawn platform. Maybe instead there could be a big plaza area with a bunch of buildings all around. Some of these could be server-run shops, and others could perhaps be rented by players wanting to sell stuff, instead of the current market system. (I've had good experiences with the chest shop system used on some other servers).
Other buildings in this area could include a community farm, an advanced cobble generator, perhaps an Iron Foundry (an iron farm that only works if placed in the spawn chunks), a PVP arena, and a central station.
Beyond these buildings, the city would sort of fade into the natural biome, probably a plains, mesa plateau, ice plains, or maybe even desert biome. It'd be really nice to have a wide variety of biomes close by, as well.
I think that's all I've got as far as the spawn area is concerned. I'd love to hear your suggestions!
Somebody to lean on

Offline ThaliaNyx

• Friend
  • Just being me
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 04:36:49 pm »
Another topic I want to mention is the new End. Considering it was one of the major facets of the 1.9 update, the mechanics of the End Reset plugin will probably have to change. Currently, the plugin resets the End about 48 hours after the dragon is defeated. However, where players used to go in, defeat the dragon, and leave, they now will have to go in, defeat the dragon, and explore the ring of outer islands in search of the five End City dungeons. Finding even one of these dungeons can take hours - which many of us don't have. A week would probably be a more feasible timeline.
It's also worth noting that there is now a way to respawn the dragon using the extremely rare drop, End crystals; however, a region-wide reset would probably still be more effective.
The other thing I wanted to mention is that when the End resets, it's always exactly the same terrain. This hasn't been too much of a problem before, as the End was always more about the battle than the exploration. Now, though, with the new dungeons and terrain, there's more need for variety. I'm not sure if this is possible, but it would be great if every time the End reset, it chose a random seed to generate. This would mean that every week, the dungeons would be in new locations, with different sets of loot every time.
I think that wraps up my thoughts on the End; if you have anything you'd like to add, please do!
Somebody to lean on

Offline ThaliaNyx

• Friend
  • Just being me
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 04:43:18 pm »
Just a bit of a shoutout - Nicole and I are planning a huge hexagon-based spaceship called the Hecate. It's probably going to use a lot of end-themed materials, so lots of purple and black and maybe also end-stone-green. Tractor beams, tardis control room bridge, beacon anchors, fully automatic bakery, lots of guest rooms - it's going to be pretty cool.
Somebody to lean on

Matthew

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 04:57:34 pm »
No offense to the previous server, but I think the spawn could be improved upon. I often have difficulty trying to find a safe path to guide new players down from the spawn platform. Maybe instead there could be a big plaza area with a bunch of buildings all around.
[...]
Other buildings in this area could include a community farm, an advanced cobble generator, perhaps an Iron Foundry (an iron farm that only works if placed in the spawn chunks), a PVP arena, and a central station.

For older players who were with us for the first ever spawn, that is exactly how it was set out. We had a central town with a town hall, charity/donation shop, regular shop, community farms and staff houses.

For the second (current) spawn we wanted to have a less structured feel, and mimic single player survival, where players have more freedom, whereas the original spawn was very structured, and players complained that it was hard to find spaces as more places around spawn were taken, because everyone wanted access to the main town.

For the new survival, I do plan to implement a structure similar to our original survival - with possibly a city hall containing a list of rules, helpful commands and a staff board, so that new players can easily access key information. We would also have a donation centre / charity shop, a regular shop and community farms.

However to create this, we would require help from staff and regular players to get started - it would be a community project. :)

Currently, the plugin resets the End about 48 hours after the dragon is defeated. However, where players used to go in, defeat the dragon, and leave, they now will have to go in, defeat the dragon, and explore the ring of outer islands in search of the five End City dungeons. Finding even one of these dungeons can take hours - which many of us don't have. A week would probably be a more feasible timeline.

Myself and Susan will look closely into all plugins on the server and how the update will effect them - and we will only update the server when most plugins will work as effectively as they do now.

We will look into whether or not the end plugin will be updated, and if not we'll look for an alternative.

Offline ThaliaNyx

• Friend
  • Just being me
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 05:10:21 pm »
For the second (current) spawn we wanted to have a less structured feel, and mimic single player survival, where players have more freedom, whereas the original spawn was very structured, and players complained that it was hard to find spaces as more places around spawn were taken, because everyone wanted access to the main town.
I should probably let Nicole describe this in more detail, but she's planning a giant rail system that'll probably be amazing.

However to create this, we would require help from staff and regular players to get started - it would be a community project. :)
I would love to help with the spawn as soon as its possible! (And I'm sure Nicole would as well)
Somebody to lean on

Offline SilverWing

• Former Minecraft Admin
  • Friend
  • Former Minecraft Staff
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 07:17:30 pm »
Okay. So, the thing I'm really interested in is the transport system: the roads, railways, and warps. My ideas are a railway system that is mostly underground, fancy roads, and more of the glass warp things at the main spawn. Also, there should be a central railway station. Most of it would be underground, however a large glowstone lit glass dome would be aboveground. Internally, I'm thinking of flying buttresses, arches, stuff like that. Also, with the rail lines and roads, they would go out in the four directions. Don't of the roads near the spawn would be on massive suspension bridges. This would be a project that I would be willing to supervise or run solo. (Translation: Maaaaaaatt, pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease can I do it? Pweeeeeeeeeese?)
There should be warps to places. This way players might not be so bent on getting access to the main spawn because there would be easy access to the rest of the map with the roads, rails, and warps.
I agree with Thalia on the End Reset plugin. Her reasoning is sound.
(My reaction to the prospect of the new server, by the way: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)
Former Susan's Place Minecraft assistant Administrator.

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 07:30:30 pm »
 ??? ??? ???

"And he talked for forty-five minutes and nobody understood a word that he said"

:laugh:

Bonus points for the first person to get the reference!
Veteran, US Army

Matthew

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 08:44:30 pm »
Also, there should be a central railway station. Most of it would be underground, however a large glowstone lit glass dome would be aboveground. Internally, I'm thinking of flying buttresses, arches, stuff like that. Also, with the rail lines and roads, they would go out in the four directions. Don't of the roads near the spawn would be on massive suspension bridges. This would be a project that I would be willing to supervise or run solo. (Translation: Maaaaaaatt, pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease can I do it? Pweeeeeeeeeese?)

This would be a staff project, so I would request all staff members to help out. We can build on ground tracks leading in various directions to where people would be close to - what we don't want is a huge station with 50 different tracks leading to everyone's house :P

We can plan this in staff areas and bring it in ASAP, it is a good idea. :)

Offline laurens_luck

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 11:58:11 pm »
I mean, blast mining is always good; maybe put a script that allows only authorized persons (who hold a scripted book or something) to use TNT, as well as  an improved shop/economy system. but those are just my opinions.

oh, will I lose my farm/house in the transfer?

Matthew

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 04:04:10 pm »
oh, will I lose my farm/house in the transfer?

Yes, as we are resetting the world we will be starting all over, but that's one of the fun parts of Minecraft - building something from nothing!

I mean, blast mining is always good; maybe put a script that allows only authorized persons (who hold a scripted book or something) to use TNT, as well as  an improved shop/economy system. but those are just my opinions.

TNT has many uses, and in survival I think that it would be useful for users to access that.

As far as the physical shop goes, we will be creating a new one with the new survival. We also use an economy plugin (/sell commands) which may be updated with 1.9

Thank you for your input!

Offline SilverWing

• Former Minecraft Admin
  • Friend
  • Former Minecraft Staff
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 01:23:55 am »
I'd like to suggest that the shop be built in a different format. The current one is kind of hard to navigate with all the signpost things everywhere, it can get hard to locate stuff, and not to mention there's an issue with some of the things displayed for sale can't be bought.

Offline ThaliaNyx

• Friend
  • Just being me
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 02:48:53 pm »
I think I'd like to build a community blaze farm, but I also recently found a design for a wither skeleton farm. A blaze farm would be great because lots of XP, but then again, wither skeletons are really difficult to find. I'll probably end up building both, but which would be more important first?
Somebody to lean on

Offline ElricOfAmestris

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 01:31:25 pm »
...Currently, the plugin resets the End about 48 hours after the dragon is defeated. However, where players used to go in, defeat the dragon, and leave, they now will have to go in, defeat the dragon, and explore the ring of outer islands in search of the five End City dungeons. Finding even one of these dungeons can take hours - which many of us don't have. A week would probably be a more feasible timeline... ...I think that wraps up my thoughts on the End; if you have anything you'd like to add, please do!

i second this.

also, fixing the store is a great idea. but if we are to interact with other players, i think having a farmer's market area where each player is plotted a "booth" (maybe up to 20 blocks of frontage and maybe 40 blocks deep) side by side along a "market street" near the spawn or community builds would be great too. and so as not to mess with the economy. maybe the store only offers the base stuff. so that when players can provide a service, like enchants or horse breeding, or even fishing, they have a way to sell/trade. i'm thinking i'd like to see a hermitcraft type system.

Offline ThaliaNyx

• Friend
  • Just being me
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 08:42:59 am »
i think having a farmer's market area where each player is plotted a "booth" (maybe up to 20 blocks of frontage and maybe 40 blocks deep) side by side along a "market street" near the spawn or community builds would be great too. and so as not to mess with the economy. maybe the store only offers the base stuff. so that when players can provide a service, like enchants or horse breeding, or even fishing, they have a way to sell/trade. i'm thinking i'd like to see a hermitcraft type system.

Ooooh, a farmer's market sounds pretty cool. (I'm also a fan of Hermitcraft, by the way!) The only problem with the Hermitcraft system is that, on that server, there's no way to make sure people pay for things. They do, however, have some protection by means of the whitelist, so only trusted players can join.

On the other hand, there are a lot of plugins for economy, like chest shops and global market. The problem with chest shops is they would only work for identical items, unless you had a chest for each unique item you wanted to sell. The server had global market when I first joined, which would work for unique items, but Susan removed it once she found it could be used to transfer items between worlds, enabling massive exploitation on Skyblock. And for things like horse breeding, I think the only solution would be to design a redstone contraption with item sorters and slime blocks.
Somebody to lean on

Offline SilverWing

• Former Minecraft Admin
  • Friend
  • Former Minecraft Staff
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 09:42:26 pm »
Is there not some sort of way to modify it to prevent transfer between worlds?

Offline ElricOfAmestris

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 08:01:12 am »
Ooooh, a farmer's market sounds pretty cool. (I'm also a fan of Hermitcraft, by the way!) The only problem with the Hermitcraft system is that, on that server, there's no way to make sure people pay for things..

yeah some redstone "vending machines" which are locked by protection, so others can't cheat it/break blocks would work. only the owner can modify anything on that area. and with booths being at least 20 wide, gives plenty of room to have multiple chests of unique items and the 'coin slots' would take only the items req'd. (example: 1 diamond = 1 purchase)

on another note: i'm, kinda just blah... knowing 1.9 reset is coming, i wanna play. but i don't want to invest time building stuff, knowing it's about to *poof* at any moment. basically, i'm just dinking around now. think i seen all there is already. done got all my achievements.

Offline ElricOfAmestris

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 08:14:34 am »
Okay. So, the thing I'm really interested in is the transport system: the roads, railways, and warps. My ideas are a railway system that is mostly underground, fancy roads, and more of the glass warp things at the main spawn. Also, there should be a central railway station.

i'm liking this idea. a central station and subway system.
thing is, if there's to be any order to it, there'd have to be some guidelines. can't have some spaghetti monster no one can make heads or tails of.

if there's a person dedicated to building the rails,  it'd have to be know they are the one to contact about all rail stuffs.
also, if a player wants to have a rail come by their base, we'd have to agree on a set Y-level (i think the current server has a lot of rails at 64 Y level.) and if the railroad construction folks are to make a place near your base, just give them the X and Z's.

also, labeling of destinations

also, should have destinations to community locations, should there be any, such as iron farm, each biome, store, spawn, market street, crop farm, etc...

just some thoughts

Matthew

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 08:29:07 am »
Currently we have /warp [location] , and in the new survival we can choose to use this for community farms.

If people were to collaborate and build a farm intended for use by everyone, I would set up a warp so that it is immediately accessible by any player, for example:

/warp SIronFarm

would take a user to an Iron Farm in the Survival world.

As far as the chest idea goes, a user market is a great idea - does anyone know the specific plugin to get this to work?

If we can find a good plugin for a user market, it is something that will be seriously considered.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Offline ElricOfAmestris

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 10:02:42 am »
If we can find a good plugin for a user market, it is something that will be seriously considered.
Thanks for the input, everyone!

NOTE: each link below has an embedded youtube video explaining the plugins. very interesting to watch

Well, after some thorough research, it seems implementing the chest/vending is kind of a step back.
there is a great plugin for an auction house gui here: http://www.mc-market.org/resources/1079/
which would allow players to list items for sale and allow others to buy stuff.

also, for the main store: https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/bossshop.222/ looks to be the best bet. it allows admin to set prices on stuff and it doesn't have to be in game money, it could also be xp levels, points (somehow assigned to player for stuff [which i think is interesting, like 1 point per passive mob kill, 3 points for blaze kill, 5 points for wither kill, 1000 points for achievement get, 5000 for ender dragon kill... random numbers for example's sake.] but also, admin could create items to be bought for conversion. like if i had a million in game money, i could buy 1000 xp levels, or sell my xp levels for points, points for items, etc...)

i don't think EVERYTHING should be in the shop though. just the conversion stuff, maybe some unique special items (for a premium) and the basics, blocks which can't be crafted, ingots, passive mob spawn eggs, etc... this way, there's an open market for those who craft or farm stuff. no one person is an island. one can't do all things at the same time and some people are better at some things than others.

just my thoughts.

oh, and if i read right, that one plugin is premium and the cost is $10. if that's correct, i'll reimburse with another donation should you utilize it. (let me know if it costs more for some reason, $10 is kinda my limits this month.)

Tags: