Author Topic: Name change second thoughts?  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Rufio

Name change second thoughts?
« on: March 22, 2016, 07:01:05 pm »
I picked out a new name, filed the paperwork, and now it's just a matter of waiting until it's official. And while I'm waiting, I can't help wondering if I picked the wrong name and if I shouldn't have gone with another choice instead.

I assume I'm not the only one here who's had second thoughts about their name choice. What did you do to convince yourself? Did you change your mind entirely?

Offline Dena

• Family
Re: Name change second thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 08:11:18 pm »
My name just seemed right when I found it and I lived with it for about 3 years before I could legally alter my paper work. Nothing better came up in those three years so I stayed with it. Granted it was a bit uncomfortable having a license with my male picture and name while I was full time as a woman but there were no other options.
Rebirth Date 1982 - My Transition

Offline Arch

• The Boy from Venus
  • Elves be queer folk indeed.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 12:34:46 am »
My first name is right for me. I wish I could change my middle name, but that's water under the bridge. I'm not going through yet another name change.

The only real reason I want to change it is that it appears on my institutional class web sites. If not for that, I could probably live with just the middle initial. But noooo, Blackboard has to list it.

Now that I think about it, maybe I can ask the Blackboard tech person to take the name off...except that the real expert retired not long ago, and I've heard that the new folks are not that knowledgeable.

Even so, I still wish I could change my middle name. So I guess I haven't convinced myself.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter

Offline AlexisRene

• Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 10:40:37 pm »
Fully realize this thread is almost 4 years old.

Same issue as the op. Have been questioning name choices now that am working on making a legal name change. It is one thing to dislike a name given to you by your parents. But completely another to miss the chance or think of the perfect name. Admittedly am over thinking this & have went by my screen name here for years. Just keep thinking if it needs to be more formal like Alexandra or tweaks as such.

Anyone else question or over think this?  ;)

Radar7

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 04:16:56 pm »
Fully realize this thread is almost 4 years old.

Same issue as the op. Have been questioning name choices now that am working on making a legal name change. It is one thing to dislike a name given to you by your parents. But completely another to miss the chance or think of the perfect name. Admittedly am over thinking this & have went by my screen name here for years. Just keep thinking if it needs to be more formal like Alexandra or tweaks as such.

Anyone else question or over think this?  ;)

I'm also definitely overthinking my name as well. I've gone by my current chosen name for over 2 years now, but there's still things I'm not 100% sure about with it. One thing that gets to me, is I want to be 110% certain about myself and my feelings before I do anything or say anything. I'm probably not much help, but it is nice to know I'm not the only one overthinking this.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 05:09:50 am »
Having second thoughts about anything so life changing as a name change is common. There is always that nagging voice in the background questioning the wisdom of our choices.

In the end though, a name change is nothing more than a choice. We make choices every day, most being trivial and inconsequential. A legal name change does take some time and expense, so why not just try out a nickname and see if you like it. If the new name works for you, then make it official.

Common mistakes (if you want to call them a mistake) are choosing a trendy name that was not popular (or even unheard of) when you were born. This is always a dead giveaway that you changed your name. If stealth is in your future, you might not want to out yourself this way.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Allie Jayne

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 05:26:20 am »
I'm with Rakel, a name is like a pair of shoes, you need to wear them for a while to see how they fit, and if you are comfortable. Pick one and try it out.

My sister in law gave me my name 15 years ago when she said she couldn't relate to me as a male. Today it became my legal name as my new Birth Certificate arrived.

Allie ( Officially!)

Pammie

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 02:46:14 pm »
I'm with Rakel, a name is like a pair of shoes, you need to wear them for a while to see how they fit, and if you are comfortable. Pick one and try it out.

My sister in law gave me my name 15 years ago when she said she couldn't relate to me as a male. Today it became my legal name as my new Birth Certificate arrived.

Allie ( Officially!)
Congratulations Allie!
I’ve pretty much always had my name, my feminine side always used my initials which were and are Pam

I opened the door and the light shone in

Offline Allie Jayne

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 04:13:33 pm »
Congratulations Allie!
I’ve pretty much always had my name, my feminine side always used my initials which were and are Pam

I opened the door and the light shone in

Thank you Pammie! My soon to be ex wife hasn’t been as enthusiastic, so it’s lovely to be able to share my news here! Now comes months of changing my name everywhere else!!

Hugs,

Pammie 

Offline Heather A

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 04:40:37 pm »
I'm probably not much help, but it is nice to know I'm not the only one overthinking this.
I'm going through some of the same thoughts while I love the name Heather I picked it nearly at random I don't know why and it stuck as a name I use for myself.  Now that the opportunity to actually transition is possible I'm rethinking the name, mostly because I can keep my initials and personal and work email could stay the same.  It will make it easier to transition since I can keep the same logins for work and I can just steathly change my user name for most websites and hopefully no humans I just meet for the first time will need to know.

Radar7

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 06:21:13 pm »
I'm going through some of the same thoughts while I love the name Heather I picked it nearly at random I don't know why and it stuck as a name I use for myself.  Now that the opportunity to actually transition is possible I'm rethinking the name, mostly because I can keep my initials and personal and work email could stay the same.  It will make it easier to transition since I can keep the same logins for work and I can just steathly change my user name for most websites and hopefully no humans I just meet for the first time will need to know.

That's my thought as well. If I could find something that is both similar and that I like, it'd be much easier.

Offline Allie Jayne

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 07:26:32 pm »
My new name is very close to my old name and so my email address doesn’t change and neither does my signature. I am appreciating this as I plough through all the other things I need to change names on, I just finished at the bank and had to sign 10 times.

Allie

Offline Heather A

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 07:36:30 pm »
My new name is very close to my old name and so my email address doesn’t change and neither does my signature. I am appreciating this as I plough through all the other things I need to change names on, I just finished at the bank and had to sign 10 times.

Allie

Congratulations that is a huge accomplishment Allie.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 04:38:06 am »

Allie

Interesting, Allie. I did the same thing.

I just wanted a slight modification of my official credentials, similar to the slight modification of my genitals. I am really the same person, just slightly rearranged.  ;D

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.

Offline Allie Jayne

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 06:45:33 am »
Congratulations that is a huge accomplishment Allie.

Thank you Heather! It did feel good when I got home and checked my bank account on line to see MY name on the account! I am officially a person!

Allie

Offline TonyaW

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 07:21:41 am »

Allie ( Officially!)
Congratulations Miss Allie!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline Allie Jayne

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 02:08:35 pm »
Congratulations Miss Allie!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thank you Tonya!! My name badges at work were changed a week ago, so I’m already starting to forget whatsisname!

Hugs,

Allie

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 02:59:11 pm »
Congratulations Allie.  My chosen name is like you, a derivation of my birth name.  Now almost a year after the official court order, I can spot junk mail when it is my dead name.  That really makes me feel good and right!  I hope you get there too.

Allie
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline Allie Jayne

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 03:09:15 pm »
Congratulations Allie.  My chosen name is like you, a derivation of my birth name.  Now almost a year after the official court order, I can spot junk mail when it is my dead name.  That really makes me feel good and right!  I hope you get there too.

Allie

Thanks Allie! Luckily I don’t get much junk mail, unluckily it’s mostly bills. It will take a while to get all of those changed, so I’m starting with the most important and working my way down. The hardest is Property titles, as they want the same process as selling, plus site surveys to change names. I am seeing a lawyer about those!

Hugs,

Allie

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 09:28:34 pm »
...The hardest is Property titles, as they want the same process as selling, plus site surveys to change names. I am seeing a lawyer about those!

I did my real estate ownership change myself. All I did was take a certified copy of my court ordered name change to the county property tax office and they issued a new title.

Tags: