Community Conversation > Legal Matters

Name change second thoughts?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Rakel:
Having second thoughts about anything so life changing as a name change is common. There is always that nagging voice in the background questioning the wisdom of our choices.

In the end though, a name change is nothing more than a choice. We make choices every day, most being trivial and inconsequential. A legal name change does take some time and expense, so why not just try out a nickname and see if you like it. If the new name works for you, then make it official.

Common mistakes (if you want to call them a mistake) are choosing a trendy name that was not popular (or even unheard of) when you were born. This is always a dead giveaway that you changed your name. If stealth is in your future, you might not want to out yourself this way.

Allie Jayne:
I'm with Rakel, a name is like a pair of shoes, you need to wear them for a while to see how they fit, and if you are comfortable. Pick one and try it out.

My sister in law gave me my name 15 years ago when she said she couldn't relate to me as a male. Today it became my legal name as my new Birth Certificate arrived.

Allie ( Officially!)

Pammie:

--- Quote from: Allie Jayne on February 12, 2020, 05:26:20 am ---I'm with Rakel, a name is like a pair of shoes, you need to wear them for a while to see how they fit, and if you are comfortable. Pick one and try it out.

My sister in law gave me my name 15 years ago when she said she couldn't relate to me as a male. Today it became my legal name as my new Birth Certificate arrived.

Allie ( Officially!)

--- End quote ---
Congratulations Allie!
I’ve pretty much always had my name, my feminine side always used my initials which were and are Pam

I opened the door and the light shone in

Allie Jayne:

--- Quote from: Pammie on February 12, 2020, 02:46:14 pm ---Congratulations Allie!
I’ve pretty much always had my name, my feminine side always used my initials which were and are Pam

I opened the door and the light shone in

--- End quote ---

Thank you Pammie! My soon to be ex wife hasn’t been as enthusiastic, so it’s lovely to be able to share my news here! Now comes months of changing my name everywhere else!!

Hugs,

Pammie 

Heather A:

--- Quote from: Radar7 on February 11, 2020, 04:16:56 pm --- I'm probably not much help, but it is nice to know I'm not the only one overthinking this.

--- End quote ---
I'm going through some of the same thoughts while I love the name Heather I picked it nearly at random I don't know why and it stuck as a name I use for myself.  Now that the opportunity to actually transition is possible I'm rethinking the name, mostly because I can keep my initials and personal and work email could stay the same.  It will make it easier to transition since I can keep the same logins for work and I can just steathly change my user name for most websites and hopefully no humans I just meet for the first time will need to know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version