Author Topic: Hi everyone, It's my Birthday!!!  (Read 32049 times)

Online Laurie

Re: Hi everyone, It's my Birthday!!!
« Reply #1120 on: May 11, 2017, 01:50:25 pm »
Thank you Rebecca,

I did send off a message to my doctor requesting EMLA and asking him for his ideas and/or suggestions. We shall see how it goes in a week.

Hugs,
   Laurie
“Sit with me, and I'll not be alone. Hold my hand, and I'll not feel alone. Cry with me, and I'll no longer suffer alone.” ― Richelle E. Goodrich,

Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol

Offline amberwaves

• Friend
« Reply #1121 on: May 12, 2017, 09:12:01 am »
Hi Ladies,

Just checking in.  All this talk of electrolysis.  I could use it, but it's not in the cards anytime soon due to financial reasons.  Luckily my facial hair is blonde so not a whole lot of beard shadow.  It would be nice to not have to spend so much time shaving every morning though.  I can get by with every other day, but it irritates me.  Living in the middle of nowhere means my options are limited for electrolysis anyway.  It's on my someday list.

Sorry to hear about your emotional day Sarah.  They happen sometimes.  I hope your doing better now.  I've been pretty emotionally unstable lately myself.  Not weepy, but irritable and such.  I honestly believe it's a reaction to being cooped up in the house so much lately.  I turn into a real jerk after about 2 days cooped up.  Plenty of things to be doing, but no desire to do them.

Our eldest daughter was formally diagnosed with ADHD and we started her on medicine.  It seems to help her somewhat, though I think the dosing will change next week when we go back for a follow up.  This has been another source of my foul mood lately.  She is a little me.  She acts so similar to how I did as a child.  I've suspected strongly for years that I had, and still suffer from, undiagnosed ADHD.  To get her help makes me so happy.  However, I see the effects on her and lament that I am unable to get that same help.  Back in 2012 I was seeing a psychiatrist about depression and moods.  I brought up that I thought I had ADHD and she just said, "we don't deal with adult ADHD here". That was it, end of discussion.  Seriously wtf.  I just let it drop.  I wan to do something about it but we are poor, have crappy health insurance and I can't afford to go out of network to do anything about getting help.  We are getting prescriptions for our daughter through our family Dr.  I've thought about asking him, but I assume he will just try to refer me back to psychiatry (the same a-holes who dismissed it to begin with).  It sucks to be poor and it's incredibly difficult to not be poor when your conditions remove most chance of successful long term employment.  Just very frustrating.

Offline SarahElizabeth1981

• Sarah
  • Friend
« Reply #1122 on: May 12, 2017, 06:39:51 pm »
Hey everyone,
great news about getting your appointment Laurie. EMLA cream is an over the counter item here. Canada, Alberta to be specific I suppose it could vary from one province to the next. i also only use it on my upper lip the rest is tolerable without anything. I don't know about there but it's also not cheap and you only get a tiny little tube of it. 

I don't know if anyone else mentioned but I know for myself it's more painful if I'm not well rested. Also being as relaxed as possible usually makes it more tolerable for me as well.

I know I've mentioned it before but for anyone that reads this that lives in a larger city. I go to a school it's a fraction of the cost of professional electrolysis. I would not be anywhere  near as far along if I had to pay full price. after my session yesterday the girl let me look at my sheet and I counted up how many appointments I've had. I've had about 60 hours of electrolysis on my face.  which is how much I thought I had. I'm guesstimating about another 15 - 20 and my face will be pretty much clear. perhaps a little less. it will depend a lot on the students I get to work on me. Also, since I started taking Estrogen the area under my jaw is a lot more sensitive. 

Sorry to hear about your difficulties Amber. It seems a little weird that a Psychiatrist would say they don't treat it but not give you some advice about who would. Doesn't seem very helpful.

Offline Rebecca

• Were the voices in my head distracting you x
« Reply #1123 on: May 13, 2017, 01:07:57 am »
Oh good call Sarah I forgot electrolysis tips and great news for your progress. Won't be long until you can bin the razor :)

Drink loads of water which you should be doing anyway to keep your skin hydrated to speed up healing and reduce initial damage.

Also one I learned the hard way is to avoid caffeine. Being a stimulant it amplifies pain.

After a particularly late night at work I was hitting the caffeine hard through coffee, chocolate and tablets but OMG the pain that night at electrolysis was through the roof. Tears flowing freely as time went on but I managed to stay still and avoid ugly crying until the end.

My electrolycist was surprised as although it has hurt a bit more each time I've handled it well. When chatting to her I mentioned I was maybe just tired as my body was running on caffeine and sugar that day.

She gave me "that look" and went like yeah caffeine boosts all your responses including pain.

So obvious I should have known after that I've pretty much stopped caffeine. Well for that and I heard it can inhibit breast development (right or wrong I don't care I'll play safe).

Offline Rebecca

• Were the voices in my head distracting you x
« Reply #1124 on: May 13, 2017, 01:18:28 am »
No idea what you use after but I've got the Sterex witch hazel gel which feels great.

I get mine done at night and the next morning I'm all back to normal. Well close enough at least; I can see a bit or 2 but nothing that would draw attention.

At first I got it done on a Saturday morning and by the Monday I'd still look a bit like I'd been attacked by a swarm of angry bees but I was doing 3-4 hours at a time. By the next session my skin would be flawless and ready to go through it all again.

One thing is for sure though it's worth every second.

Offline ElizabethK

• New Pics on the way
« Reply #1125 on: May 13, 2017, 01:52:41 am »

I don't know if anyone else mentioned but I know for myself it's more painful if I'm not well rested. Also being as relaxed as possible usually makes it more tolerable for me as well.

I know for me if I am able to relax I can cope much better, I have Valium prescribed if I need it. The more relaxed I am the more likely I am being able to "breathe" through the pain. I have been Asking my Tech to target specific hairs and show me different levels of "currents" to see what I can tolerate. I have numbing injections but I also get my Tech to work on other area's other then the numb area alternating between so I can "recover"....being relaxed makes such a difference when she is working in the area with no coverage.

Also one I learned the hard way is to avoid caffeine. Being a stimulant it amplifies pain.

After a particularly late night at work I was hitting the caffeine hard through coffee, chocolate and tablets but OMG the pain that night at electrolysis was through the roof. Tears flowing freely as time went on but I managed to stay still and avoid ugly crying until the end.

I understood that caffeine can make things worse but I didn't realise the impact could make such a difference. I will normally have 2 -3 cups in the morning and then nothing till later again in the day....Looks like I need to revaluate my coffee intake. I have always ensured I drank plenty of water and moisturise religiously...but the caffeine :eusa_doh:
I have elected to have additional short 20 min sessions each week with Emla cream only, to clear up the stragglers. I really need to have a look at my prep for these days, because if I am honest the last prep I did was awful and so was my session....thanks for the timely reminders ladies  :D
“Care about people’s approval and you will be their prisoner”
Tao Te Ching

Transition Begun 25/09/2015
Fulltime from 8/03/17

Offline Dena

• (S) Global Moderator
« Reply #1126 on: May 13, 2017, 09:42:18 am »
Part of the problem is caffeine is a diuretic which would counter your effort to remain hydrated. Not all people respond to caffeine in the same way. In my  case, I seem to be somewhat sensitive to most of the effects and while it keeps me from sleeping well, it doesn't really keep me from feeling sleepy when I drink it. Because of this, I limit my self to ice tea once in a while.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber.
Use dena@susans.org only if you are unable to PM

Online Laurie

« Reply #1127 on: May 13, 2017, 04:07:29 pm »
Hi ladies,

Thanks for the tips and info. It took me two attempts but my doctor said he will have some EMLA creme sent out. My electrologist did warn me about caffeine and recommended drinking lots of water. Seems everyone wants me to drown myself these days. That reminds me I need to get drink some more in prep of my labs and IV on Monday. 3 month CT scan don'tcha know?  I think I'll go to the store and look for some witch hazel too.  I'm excited to be starting electrolysis but a little apprehensive at the same time.

Hugs,
   Laurie
“Sit with me, and I'll not be alone. Hold my hand, and I'll not feel alone. Cry with me, and I'll no longer suffer alone.” ― Richelle E. Goodrich,

Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol

Tags: