General Discussions > Hobbies

Anyone like to learn languages?

<< < (2/15) > >>

SlateRDays:

--- Quote from: SonadoraXVX on July 16, 2016, 04:31:08 am ---Very much, I'm fluent in Latin American Spanish, and I'm I have dabbled in French, German, and Mandarin, but like yourself, I have not had much time lately, since I'm in grad school now and work full time, but do have Rosetta Stone courses in Russian, French, Korean, Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese, Mandarin.

Its great to be able to understand other cultures and have windows into their great works, being able to translate the works yourself and get your personal interpretation of their literary works. In today's global world, it behoves to know how other people think and are saying.

Cheers  ;D

--- End quote ---

This is another reason I study. Connecting with people, although I ended up speaking english since I haven't mastered anything yet, but the others are willing to share abit about the language and culture and just everyday things. Reading and singing are my interests here and being able to sing in different language is a deeper goal, but it'll take time since the language basics must come first. Plus script reading and reading books interest me. What is it they read where they are?

What inspired you to choose those specific languages? Do you ever want to travel to these places physically?

SlateRDays:

--- Quote from: Deborah on July 16, 2016, 09:02:24 am ---I do but I have always had a hard time with it.  I have some kind of mind blockage.  But this thread has given me the motivation to try again.  Maybe with the dysphoria under control the mind blockage will open.

Sapere Aude

--- End quote ---

What kind of languages are you interested in? How do you like to learn? Medical vocab, technical vocab, listening, etc.

Deborah:

--- Quote from: SlateRDays on July 18, 2016, 08:56:11 am ---What kind of languages are you interested in? How do you like to learn? Medical vocab, technical vocab, listening, etc.

--- End quote ---
I'd like to learn enough Ancient Greek to read the literature from around 300BC to 100AD in the original languages.  So my focus is mainly just on reading and comprehension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlateRDays:
Had you found any good resources for learning on your search? I've heard Ancient Greek is pretty tough.

Deborah:
I do have several resources.  I have Logos Software so I have copies of all the philosophers and also The Bible in the original Greek.  Logos also has some other resources to help.  I have also downloaded some apps and have a college textbook to learn with.  Right now though I am mainly just memorizing words as I read along with a Greek text and using Flashcards to reinforce it.  Logos extracts the section of text I am interested in and builds a Flashcard deck for my phone.  So as long as I do a small section at a time it should be manageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version