Author Topic: Post-op and transition complete (almost)  (Read 6194 times)

Offline Clara Kay

Re: Post-op and transition complete (almost)
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2017, 10:32:57 am »

However, transsexing encompasses more than socialization...

I think I like your term 'transsexing'.  I like words to have meaning, and transsexing does remove the ambiguity of 'transitioning'.  It's why I prefer 'transsexual' to 'transgender' when describing myself when necessary.  I'd like to find a word that captures the state of being comfortable with one's sex whether as it was assigned at birth or reassigned later in life.  Many of us do achieve the same sex/gender congruence that cisgender people experience.

Offline Sophia Sage

• Family
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2017, 02:48:17 pm »
I think I like your term 'transsexing'.  I like words to have meaning, and transsexing does remove the ambiguity of 'transitioning'.  It's why I prefer 'transsexual' to 'transgender' when describing myself when necessary.  I'd like to find a word that captures the state of being comfortable with one's sex whether as it was assigned at birth or reassigned later in life.  Many of us do achieve the same sex/gender congruence that cisgender people experience.

"Transsexing" isn't my word, but a word from a dear friend who was around way back in the day; she'd been living a woman's life for over 20 years when I transitioned.  Anyways, to me, "transition" is about the front half of passing -- getting your body and voice right, your documentation right, the therapy and surgeries and so forth.  Then, when there's no more ambiguity, it's all about adapting to living with correct gendering now in place.  That's transsexing.  And, like transition, eventually this too will be over.

Achieving that congruence is, to me, the essence of the cis experience.  Might as well claim it. 

What you look forward to has already come, but you do not recognize it.

Offline Karen_A

• Friend
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2017, 06:42:14 pm »
I think I like your term 'transsexing'.

AFAIK the person who coined that went by a screen name who's initials were KG and had a very loyal following.

She also had a system for defining where someone was in the process of "transsexing".  She called them Step Phases and it had level from 0 to 6 ... They were commonly referred to as SP levels

I have a feeling if I posted them here they would be somewhat controversial ... I know I argued about then back in the day! ;)

- Karen

Offline Sophia Sage

• Family
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2017, 12:05:17 pm »
She also had a system for defining where someone was in the process of "transsexing".  She called them Step Phases and it had level from 0 to 6 ... They were commonly referred to as SP levels

Oh gosh, let's see if I can remember...

The first three were Face, Voice, and Sex.  The embodied half of transition, what people directly perceive, and from which the subconscious automatic gender assignment first happens.

The other three were something like Socialization, Narrative, and... Memory (or perhaps Eidos)?  The "transsexing" part, which is all about long-term relationship stuff (including friends and coworkers as well as lovers).  All of which require the first three steps in order to happen.
What you look forward to has already come, but you do not recognize it.

Tags: