Community Conversation > Legal Matters

Selective Services..

<< < (2/3) > >>

SusanK:
Kati, I suspect until you have successfully completed your transistion, including having your birth certificate changed to "F" then you will have to use "M" since it still your birth sex and it's what the Selective Service uses to define who registers. I suspect you have to register and then change it when you have the new birth certificate to verify you are no longer officially male. And then I suspect that will take time and several efforts, as the Selective Service is the most curmudgeon of the federal agencies, meaning they don't like removing anyone from their rolls and from being 1-A.

Thanks for the memories of 1968 and being 1-A. Not that I need it, but I'm personally worried our President will request reactivating the draft next year (since registering was never stopped and the list of eligible men is ready and waiting). All the Army needs is authorization and funding, and with the lack of new soldiers for the endless, unwinnable war, it's almost inevitable to try to reactivate it. And don't expect any Democrat to yell too loud unless they're already an anti-war one. After all it's about fighting terrorists and supporting the troops, ya' know.

I'll park the soapbox.

--Susan--

SocalledLife:
Fill it out with male, and keep your fingers crossed that they don't start a draft again.  No point in even trying to reason with the fed over something that they very likely will never use.  Even if you were drafted you would most likely be tied up in the system for a very long time in your situation.  If not, we will probably be in the same unit!  ;D

If all else fails,
"You can get anything you want at Alice’s restaurant"

DANA

daisybelle:
I guess ENDA does not provide answers for this either....

Daisy

SusanK:

--- Quote from: SocalledLife on November 08, 2007, 01:37:29 pm ---Fill it out with male, and keep your fingers crossed that they don't start a draft again.  No point in even trying to reason with the fed over something that they very likely will never use.  Even if you were drafted you would most likely be tied up in the system for a very long time in your situation.  If not, we will probably be in the same unit!  ;D

If all else fails, "You can get anything you want at Alice’s restaurant"
--- End quote ---

Don't hold your breath about no draft. I'm betting we'll hear about it from Bush sometime in the spring-summer next year (hints in the State of the Union?) because Iraq is depleting troops so fast they can't be replaced despite the stop-loss (discharge, retirements), extended tours, shorter stateside tours, lower recruitment standards (no HS diploma, criminals, illegal/legal immigrant, etc.), more NG callups and reservists and higher re-enlistment bonsuses.

Almost all the generals are saying if we don't lower the troop strentgh in Iraq we'll need the draft by the spring 2008 because the Army and Marines will be exhausted. And that doesn't count any other global need for military forces, like after-attacking Iran or another "surge." The draft is almost inevitable unless something drastic happens. But then I'm hoping I lose my bet about this.

--Susan--

Breastquest:
They have raised the age at which one can enlist, and the atmosphere has definitely changed for the better since i got out in '90.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version