Author Topic: Hair Removal Confusion  (Read 215 times)

Offline Jessie007

• Neighbor
Hair Removal Confusion
« on: March 20, 2017, 08:36:50 pm »
Hi everyone! I have just started looking into hair removal on my face. There is a lot of information out there about different methods of removing hair but I am finding it confusing as to what is fact and what is sales hype.

I more or less have my mind set on electrolysis. It seems to be the most reliable permanent method. I called a laser clinic that uses a Candela GentleLase Pro machine. They told me that laser cannot permanently remove facial hair and will always need touching up from time to time, depending on the individual.

I just had a trial electrolysis treatment for 1/2 hour with multiprobe (16 probes) galvanic electrolysis. Next week I am booked in at another place that uses single probe thermolysis.

From what I am reading, it seems that multiprobe galvanic electrolysis is the most reliable method for permanent results. But it also seems that a lot depends on the skill of the operator of the machine.

The person that did my galvanic treatment seemed to be very knowledgable and has treated many trans clients but there are some things she said that left me scratching my head wondering. The person I am booked in to see next week for the thermolysis method seems very honest and also quite knowledgable and has also treated many trans clients. I have a better feeling about this person from our email conversations.

My concern is that I have read that thermolysis is more effective on thinner hair and has a higher regrow than rate than galvanic. I am suffering from information overload and having trouble separating facts from sales hype.

I would like to hear different peoples experiences and the method you used and how happy you are with the results.

Jessie

Online Dena

• (S) Global Moderator
Re: Hair Removal Confusion
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:05:15 pm »
As I posted in another thread, I was treated with the blend with is thermolysis and galvanic. My face wasn't marked by the treatment and I have find, feminine hair on my face with about 10 survivors. I haven't been treated in almost 30 years and other that taking out the survivors from time to time, I don't do anything else to my facial hair.

The basics are Galvanic kills the hair by creating a lye compound in the root of the hair which destroys the hair by chemical means.

Thermolysis works by generating heat to kill the hair.

The blend combines the chemical actions with heat to make both more effective.

The disadvantage to the blend is that it's single needle so it takes several seconds to treat each hair.

A blend machine is capable of doing both galvanic or thermolysis and my operator had the needle set for doing multi probe galvanic though she never used it. You might ask if the machine is capable of doing the blend and why they decided on one process over the other.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber.
Use dena@susans.org only if you are unable to PM

Offline ElizabethK

• New Pics on the way
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 12:53:09 am »
I am being treated with Blend also and a 1 needle arrangement. I am also having laser removal. I agree you may never get them all with laser but then if you don't have the right operator you could spend a fortune going back over old areas because of poor skill level. I seem to get only a very small grow back rate and patches that have been cleared only once 3 +months ago remain completely clear.

When I grow out my beard now I have huge amounts less of dark hairs then when I started, this is due to the laser treatment. The next few treatment of laser will have me down to once every 6 months. All the time the Electrolysis is picking up the greys and stubborn black hairs, that laser will not kill.

Most skilled operators seem to do blend these days so the right current is applied to the right hair, less damage, scarring and regrowth. Regrowth occurs when the current applied does not fully kill the hair follicle even though the hair may come out.

Hope that helps

Liz
“Care about people’s approval and you will be their prisoner”
Tao Te Ching

Transition Begun 25/09/2015
Fulltime from 8/03/17

Offline LShipley

• Friend
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 03:41:43 pm »
If you are light skinned and dark facial hair i highly suggest looking into a reputable laser company first.

I grew up with a full dark italian beard, very heavy terribly dysphoric. My first laser treatment obliterated it and it never showed its face again. It regrew through treatment but on SUCH a smaller scale it was amazing. The laser company i chose also has a lifetime package so if there is any future regrowth they zap it for an office copay ($20)

You ask a laser tech they will say do laser. You ask an electrolysis and they will say the opposite.

I tried an electrolysis first because of that misinformation and not realizing i was ideal for laser. It took a month for the first session to heal and my upper lip is still scarred because of how painful it was on my thick dark hair.

If you are ideal for laser it will save a LOT of time and pain.

Offline ainsley

• Flint, MI Survivor
  • M GO Blue!!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 03:53:31 pm »
Electrolysis is the only permanent method.  I have had many laser sessions on my face.  It does not get them all, nor keep them away.  Electrolysis has killed them and they do not grow back.  I am doing just thermolysis.  If possible, just do electro.  That is my 2 cents.
Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!

Offline Jessie007

• Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 04:27:48 pm »
I called a laser place yesterday. It is a place that was actually recommended to me by the electrologist I am seeing next week. The person at the laser place told me that the laser isn't permanent, which surprised me a little. I expected them to claim their method is the best and only way. They told me it will reduce the hair for long periods but will always return, especially on the face. Apparently different parts of the body react differently, but the face is probably the most stubborn. I haven't completely ruled out laser, but I will stick with electrolysis for now and see how it goes. I am looking forward to starting this process.

Offline zirconia

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 06:13:26 am »
Hi, Jessie
The right laser at a high enough fluence can permanently remove hair. If you're in the U.S.A. the clinics are probably forbidden to say so, though. Where electrolysis is concerned, every machine can—all really depends on the skill of the operator.

Offline LShipley

• Friend
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 03:39:51 pm »
Electrolysis is the only permanent method.  I have had many laser sessions on my face.  It does not get them all, nor keep them away.  Electrolysis has killed them and they do not grow back.  I am doing just thermolysis.  If possible, just do electro.  That is my 2 cents.

What is your hair color? Your roots look quite light in your picture but it could be lighting.

Offline ainsley

• Flint, MI Survivor
  • M GO Blue!!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 08:02:49 am »
My head hair is dyed.
My facial hair was black or grey/white.  I used laser on the dark hairs on my face starting 4 years ago.  I thought I was down to just the white/grey so I started electrolysis.  As I began growing it out for that I see waaaaaay too many black hairs coming back in.  They are just not permanently removed from laser.  Not a complete waste of money, because some were.  But, now I am getting only electrolysis and the aesthetist is treating black and the white/grey hairs.

I learned my lesson.  If i had begun with electrolysis I would have saved a lot of money and would be done by now...
Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!

Tags: