Author Topic: Amateur Radio Operator  (Read 3364 times)

Offline steph2.0

• AKA Galaxy Girl
  • Replacing existing with living
Re: Amateur Radio Operator
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2018, 08:20:57 am »
Tech since the late 70’s, grandfathered into Tech Plus, but haven’t been active since the early 80’s. Don’t even have a working rig any more.

Changing the name was a breeze on FCC’s website.

Stephanie
Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/11/2019 * Name and Gender Change on Birth Certificate 11/21/2019 * Accepted Internally That Transition is Completed 11/28/2019

Offline Joelene9

• Astronomer
  • M-F Transsexual blossoming
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2018, 04:41:29 pm »
This was the Military Auxiliary Radio System (MARS). In the 1960's there were not many communication satellites, no internet, no nothing. Overseas telephone was by under sea cables. The MARS system allowed service members a few minutes of personal talk time with their family. 

There were many other MARS stations in use at the time, but Senator Goldwater's station paid for the domestic long distance telephone call once the link to his stateside station was established. This was before cell phones where any call outside your area code was charged as long distance. Other stations made a collect call to the service members home to complete the communication link.
We had a MARS station aboard my ship in the early 1970's. A couple of my shop mates made calls home on that. The antenna was mounted off of the "Vultures row" section of the island. One night it was arcing at the base as I heard the operator through open doors just CQ'ing away. When I got out I worked for a shop that 2 fellows were operating. One of them was in the Air Force and he operated a MARS station in Laos. He was picking up a lot of interference on 3.579 MHZ. He was picking up all of those color burst crystals being tested in the color TV factories in that part of Asia. I don't have a Ham license, but a commercial one. I repaired transceiver radios and cellphones.

Joelene

Offline Danielle Kristina

• Friend
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2018, 10:36:26 pm »
My HF antenna is up and running.  I’m back on the air!!!

Offline Sarah1979

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2018, 08:16:48 pm »
Very nice!! What modes are you using? Rig?

Michelle_P

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2018, 10:43:18 am »
What call signs do you use?
May be can i reicieve your signals with my swl radio equipment an can i send you an swl report by mail

BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT POSTING CALL SIGNS!

Call signs point to your full name and address as filed with the FCC, all a matter of public record and easily found with a Google search.  Posting a call sign here can lead to very unpleasant results.

• Friend
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2018, 12:49:33 pm »
Very nice!! What modes are you using? Rig?

I’m running a Kenwood 430S through an 80 meter inverted v up about 30 feet.  Eventually I want to get on digital modes such as PSK31, but for now I run SSB.  Mainly I’m on 75 meters mid to late night.

Offline Sarah1979

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2018, 05:57:48 pm »
Very nice, I have a G5RV that I never use, and the aforementioned buddipole, but usually I use a ATAS120 mounted on my truck fed from a FT857.  On 40 meters and below, the loading coil is too big to get any decent power out of it, but it works ok on 20m and higher.  I have used it pretty well on JT65 and PSK31 though.

Offline Sarahthenerd

• Neighbor
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2018, 06:40:44 pm »
I'm glad to hear the name change is easy on the fcc website. I think I'm due to renew in a few years anyway.

Sent from my P00A using Tapatalk

• Friend
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2018, 10:56:40 pm »
What call signs do you use?
May be can i reicieve your signals with my swl radio equipment an can i send you an swl report by mail

I won’t post my call sign, but I will say that I’m a Texas station and can be heard regularly at the lower portion of the General Class segment of 75 meters.

Offline Sarah1979

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2018, 04:44:48 am »
I won’t post my call sign, but I will say that I’m a Texas station and can be heard regularly at the lower portion of the General Class segment of 75 meters.

I've got my Buddipole with me, but I have to get some other parts to make it usable on 80 meters, currently it's stuck only being effective at 20m and up :(

• Friend
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2018, 09:24:09 pm »
I've got my Buddipole with me, but I have to get some other parts to make it usable on 80 meters, currently it's stuck only being effective at 20m and up :(

I’m on 20 fairly often, but mostly on 75.  Hopefully soon I’ll have a 40 meter antenna up so I won’t have to use my 75 meter antenna on 7 MHz.  I don’t go above 20 much since the propagation is so lousy for those upper bands, which is a shame because I miss 10 meters.

Offline Leesh

• Laura
  • Friend
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2020, 11:16:32 am »
I don't have a licence, but I've been thinking about it.

Offline Zumbagirl

• Family
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2020, 05:40:20 pm »
I don't have a licence, but I've been thinking about it.

I use my license these days mainly for drone flying. With a license the skys the limit when it comes to transmitters and flying distance. I think next year I am going to get an FAA drone pilots license so then I can fly commercially or for profit and not just running around a park or in the woods.

When I went for my license I did the classroom route and it to me it was an awesome way to learn radio theory. The instructor would tell us about some transmitter features and then take us to the shack and show us in action. I learned a lot about antenna design from the classroom route.

Offline Kay Kozee

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2021, 04:32:23 pm »
I have my General license. I usually just monitor the local repeaters. Nice to see other HAMS here!

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2021, 04:39:58 pm »
IMPORTANT NOTE:

Please be very careful regarding posting your Ham Radio call sign !!!

Call signs can be easily referenced to your full name and address as filed with the FCC, all a matter of public record and easily found with a Google search. 

Posting your Ham Radio call sign can compromise your private contact information.

Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Tags: