Activism and Politics > Politics

Do you think your country would elected a trans* person to its highest office?

<< < (3/13) > >>

SailorMars1994:
^^^ run!!

In Canada I could see an MP get elected as either a Liberal or New Democrat. Maybe one day soon we could have a red tory Conservative. As far as provincial politics I can see the same but with even a trans Conservative MLA is not out of the question is a few provinces. The Conservative party (different named used) in Quebec would very likely let a trans person run as would the Newfoundland Conservatives (Thanks Danny Williams for showing support as early as 2004) and maybe the Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island Conservatives?? Elsewhere in the county I could see a trans person get elected in any province but likely would have to be either Liberal or New Democrat as other Conservative parties elsewhere have a sizable religious-right audience. However, Patrick Brown, the Ontario Conservative leader (and likely Premier next year) has really gone out of his way to quite any bigots and be accepting to the LBGT comminity!

Serana95:
Usa* Honestly no we have a huge amount of conservative Christians here and most are sadly very trans/homophobic. Hell we can't even get an openly atheist in office, the job pretty much demands a Christian white collar male.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

Raell:
At least 20 transgender candidates are currently running for office across the United States, NBC News reports.

“We are making 2017 the year of the trans candidate," said Victory Fund President Aisha C. Moodie-Mills, whose organization has endorsed trans candidate Danica Roem for a seat in Virginia’s House of Delegates.

"We have more transgender people running this cycle than almost all other cycles combined.”

NBC: Twenty Transgender Candidates Running for Office in US http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/transgender-candidates-20-running/2017/06/12/id/795637/ via @Newsmax

SailorMars1994:

--- Quote from: Serana95 on August 22, 2017, 12:01:24 am ---Usa* Honestly no we have a huge amount of conservative Christians here and most are sadly very trans/homophobic. Hell we can't even get an openly atheist in office, the job pretty much demands a Christian white collar male.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

Yes and no. Hillary did win 3 million more votes, but at the same time she did lose states that should have not justed voted for her under normal circumstances, but they should have been easy cake walks (Pennsylvania and Michigan). I remember being optumistic about her win but doubtful even before the result came in. Earlier that day I looked at polls and it showed Ohio being considered a safe Trump state, right then and there I knew she was in trouble. Unless you are JFK no winning person has won the White House without Ohio in the past 7 decade. She could have still won without it  but Ohio is a huge deal and one you want on your side as it is a huge swing state and bell weather state.

As for Trans candidate I dont know, I am sure Colorado would vote for one, as with Washington, Oregon and perhaps California and maybe even New Mexico. I would say a trans-person would easily win Vermont with that state being the least religious, more progressive (atleast on social issues) and having a history of being signifgantly less bigoted compared to other places. But with it being such a small rural state you have more luck finding a cow to run then a trans person. Massachusetts comes next as it is poltically similar to VT, just with a major city. Maybe in another 5 to 10 years the map will be more open :)!

sarah1972:
The Danica Roem candidacy is a great example of some of the uphill battles for trans candidates - she is running in a neighboring county and she does get a lot of media coverage here.

She is running in a county which traditionally has been very conservative, to the tune that I was told to avoid the area out of safety concerns. In recent years, the Washington, DC spreading suburbs have brought a more liberal population to her county. The population growth also lead to a lot of local issues from traffic congestion to insane power line construction. These are the areas Danica tries to focus on. She has been a newspaper reporter for many years and has a great understanding of local issues. Her goal is to focus her entire campaign on resolving local issues, the top one being traffic congestion.

Unfortunately - a lot of discussion is still about her being a trans women. Almost every bit of media coverage picks up on her being trans. She is also facing a second challenge: she has received sizable campaign contributions from out-of-state organizations supporting her run for office, something which does not necessarily sit well with locals.

Lastly she is running against a long term (11 terms!) incumbent, extremely conservative who has pushed for all kind of crazy legislation restricting transgender, women and LGBT rights. He has also deliberately misgendered Danica a few times in interviews and speeches.

Danica is receiving an outpouring of support from many but it will be a real uphill battle for her to make it in that area. Unfortunately especially due to her being trans. It is very hard for me to say but a cis women running on the same platform would have a much better shot in this area. It is very unfortunate that people focus on the wrong things. She wants to solve local issues, she wants to fight for her constituents and she knows a lot about every day worries of the area. That is what should count, nothing else.

I still hope for a small miracle this November!

--- Quote from: Raell on August 22, 2017, 02:08:37 am ---At least 20 transgender candidates are currently running for office across the United States, NBC News reports.

“We are making 2017 the year of the trans candidate," said Victory Fund President Aisha C. Moodie-Mills, whose organization has endorsed trans candidate Danica Roem for a seat in Virginia’s House of Delegates.

"We have more transgender people running this cycle than almost all other cycles combined.”

NBC: Twenty Transgender Candidates Running for Office in US http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/transgender-candidates-20-running/2017/06/12/id/795637/ via @Newsmax

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version