General Discussions > General discussions

Learning the C programming language

(1/9) > >>

redhot1:
I'm starting to learn about programming in C programming language. I'm using a book to learn from. Are there other programmers who know the language here? I'm sort of new to programming, though I only made it so far in the Python programming tutorials. I don't think me and Python click at first, but I'll try it again later. I'll be finished or almost finished with my book near mid-July.

KathyLauren:
I had been an experienced programmer for years when I first tried to learn C just because, in the biz, you have to know it at least a bit.  It has to be the world's most hideous programming language.  There's an apocryphal story that the inventors of C deliberately set out to write the most inelegant language they could come up with and were surprised when it was taken seriously.

If you just want to learn programming, there are easier languages.  But if you need to learn C because you need it for a job or a project or something, you have my sympathies.

HereComesTheRain:
I'm a computer science major, though admittedly only in my first year. C is a fine language but from what I understand C#, or even more so C++, are simpler and more widely used. Python is a good beginning language for the C languages because they're both object-oriented script-based languages. If you find Python a little unwieldy, Lua is an even simpler beginner language, its the first one I ever learned, but its not near as powerful as the others and is a purely scripting based language.

stephaniec:
you'd probably be better off leaning C+ , it's easier

femfem:

--- Quote from: redhot1 on May 01, 2017, 04:42:51 pm ---I'm starting to learn about programming in C programming language. I'm using a book to learn from. Are there other programmers who know the language here? I'm sort of new to programming, though I only made it so far in the Python programming tutorials. I don't think me and Python click at first, but I'll try it again later. I'll be finished or almost finished with my book near mid-July.

--- End quote ---
You're starting with C?!?! I know PHP (probably almost advanced PHP, actually), Python, SQL, JavaScript, model-view-controller frameworks, and object-oriented programming.  And even I don't know if I'd want to program in C.  Java is probably equivalent, in respect to difficulty, and I won't even begin learning it until August lol.

I strongly recommend trying Python again, and I have tons and tons of notes you can use for it.  You have to make it hands-on, btw....practical, as opposed to just theoretical. :)

K.C.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version