Author Topic: Threats force cancellation of trans cartoonist's Halifax book launch  (Read 354 times)

Online KathyLauren

• Casting off dull certainty
Threats force cancellation of trans cartoonist's Halifax book launch

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/transgender-cartoonist-sophie-labelle-hate-death-threats-book-launch-1.4123683

Sherri Borden Colley, CBC News, May 19, 2017

"Death threats and hate-filled messages forced the cancellation of a Halifax book launch for Montreal-based transgender cartoonist Sophie Labelle."
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-03-09 Boobs growing; 2017-04-20 Out publicly, beginning full-time

Offline Laurie

Now that just sucks. Can't comment anymore one it. But it sucks.

Laurie
“Sit with me, and I'll not be alone. Hold my hand, and I'll not feel alone. Cry with me, and I'll no longer suffer alone.” ― Richelle E. Goodrich,

Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol

Offline Dee Marshall

• I'm not hiding anymore! I'm who I am and proud!
  • Family
I hate more that it caused her to move because they doxed her and published her address.

:

April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!

Think outside the voice box!

April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!

Offline toxicketchup

That's just downright cruel. I guess even Canada isn't exempt from this kind of nonsense.

Seeing people treated this way based on such nonsensical, arbitrary feelings turns my stomach.
PSN: Toxicketchup363 (Please include a brief message if you add me so that I know you're not a complete stranger)

Online sarah1972

Threats force cancellation of trans cartoonist's Halifax book launch
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 09:37:17 pm »
The entire situation did get out of hand badly. Even commentators and friend trying to help her keep Facebook under control all the sudden have been threatened. So far she is not giving up. She is an incredible strong women and I so hope she can pull through this.
Not sure I would be that strong, i may just hide somewhere...

I also love her comics...

Offline staciM

• Friend
It seems there may be more behind this story (a few sides) than a random act of hatred and threats.  Read some of the extended story in the margins and make your own conclusions.  Also, Canada has nothing to do with the story other than the artist is Canadian based.  The threats didn't come from Canadian groups.
- Staci -

Online Cindy

• The Forum Administrator
I'm locking for review and clean up.

Offline Joanna50

• Joanna
  • Changing to be better than I was.
Thread is now unlocked.
Sucked in by my job and off site till the end of June's third week.

1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit January 29, 2016

Tags: