Author Topic: Martial arts anyone?  (Read 137 times)

Offline Lady Lisandra

• Neighbor
Martial arts anyone?
« on: August 03, 2017, 06:25:21 am »
I'm going to start training martial arts. I've done excercise my whole life. I've been to the gim and play lots of sports, but since I started my transition I quit every physical activity because I was afraid of gaining unwanted muscle.

Now I want to start again. I'm tired of gyms, and I think I'll never be truly happy with playing any sport. So I thought about martial arts. I'm not concerned about toned muscles anymore. It sound fun, useful, and last but not least, it will help me with my back problems caused by years of computer and contrabass. It's getting worse...

Does any of you have experience with martial arts? Any suggestion?
- Lis -

Offline elkie-t

• Family
Re: Martial arts anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 04:46:39 pm »
I recently signed up for Krav Maga class, doing 4 times a week. Not cheap, not fancy, but awesome workout (it takes so much energy to kick and punch...) and by the end of the hour I feel every muscle in my body. I don't think there's better or worse MA, but this one makes a lot of sense for me, since it's targeted for defense against a street violence (one vs many, no rules) type of fight. Might be handy one day (better not need it obviously).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lady Lisandra

• Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 06:41:55 pm »
Sounds great! I'm mostly interested in chi kung, maybe kung fu. Sadly I'm not in the best economic situation. Next year will be better.

It may be to soon to know, but how did your muscles respond? Do you look like Rambo already, or are they keeping a normal volume?
- Lis -

Offline elkie-t

• Family
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 07:07:47 pm »
I don't expect any visible muscle gain from these exercises. We don't lift no weights there, it's mostly high repetitions aerobics with some stretching

Offline elkie-t

• Family
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 07:13:43 pm »
If you cannot afford going to fancy classes, yet are interested in more activity-oriented fitness, you might look for yoga (sometimes included with basic gym membership or given for free) or classic boxing (I heard classic boxing training is a great cardio exercise and boxing club membership runs about $50s per month, not much more than a regular gym).

A girl needs to know how to kick like a mile, not like a girl :) I mean it's great exercise too, but I couldn't convince myself to do regular fitness routines, too boring.

Offline Lady Lisandra

• Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 07:30:31 pm »
Exactly my problem! I've been to the gym for too much time and I'm tired of it (back in my "macho" days).

I might have to consider alternative activities...
- Lis -

Offline elkie-t

• Family
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 07:38:47 pm »
I wanted to join a MA program for 20 years... Never had either time or money... Happy that I did it now, it makes me feel good

Tags: