Community Conversation > Transsexual talk

Grrr, why is this so complicated?

<< < (2/107) > >>

amberwaves:

--- Quote from: Roll on October 02, 2017, 10:58:09 am ---You think that's bad, I've been trying to get ahold of Medicaid to ask about what they do and do not cover regarding gender issues and it's just an endless cycle between two automated numbers, I can't even get to the point they don't call me back. :D Literally I call the number on my card, it has no menu options that go to a person, then says "for all other issues call 1-888-whatever" super quickly and hangs up. So I had to go back through it, being quick to grab the number. I call that number, it goes through a few other menu options that don't lead to a person and then does the same thing for the first number! I then called social security and they said they can't answer any questions about medicaid, and the only numbers they had were the ones I already tried. At this point if I could just get through to an overseas call center I'd be happy. :D

--- End quote ---
Yeah that is terrible.  My situation isn't the end of the world, obviously.  I just needed to vent.  There does need to be serious reform in how health care is managed in this country.  By and large it is just flat out inaccessible.  I hope you find a way to get ahold of someone soon.  Do you have anything like a county assistance office or something you can go to?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Roll:

--- Quote from: amberwaves on October 02, 2017, 11:05:48 am ---Yeah that is terrible.  My situation isn't the end of the world, obviously.  I just needed to vent.

--- End quote ---

Oh, mine isn't the end of the world either, I just thought the medicaid looping thing was pretty funny honestly and thought I'd share. ;) (And vent some too myself!)

The only county place is SS, which don't seem to have any insight. Which is really, really weird. You'd think that social security and medicaid would be more in tune with one another. Isn't bureaucracy grand?

HappyMoni:
Amber,
   The insurance thing is ridiculous. I think they make it purposely hard to get people to give up and save them money. As for your change in urgency, I totally relate. Once we see the real possibility is out there our brains kick in to overdrive and demand it get done. The only time I could remotely relax pre-surgery was to get stuff arranged to make it happen.
I was such a mess before surgery. It is so cool after. I don't know how others feel but for me, it removed that giant dysphoric itch I have always had. You will get there Girl. I had tried to get pre approval for surgery myself. It was too soon and the doctor had to initiate the process, but they ended up assigning a nurse to help with my questions. She was a good  source of info for me. Don't know if that is a possible for you. I used Aetna.
Moni

amberwaves:
Thanks for chiming in Moni!   Yes indeed the system certainly seems designed to be inaccessible.  I severely doubt it is due to malicious intent, more likely it is decades of bureaucratic and regulatory bloat.

I am, or at least seem to be, in a hurry.  However, it's not about the destination per see.  That is a long ways off and I will wait until it's closer to get impatient about it.  I am mostly impatient about getting started and getting everything in order.  Historically, I have been a "fly by the seat of my pants" type of person.  I am trying to be a reasonable adult about things and plan things out.  For the most part, my transition has been a carefully measured endeavour.  This stands in stark contrast to my life in general. 

Also, my luck is terrible and I'm trying as best I can to hedge my bets so as not to get smacked around by reality.  The longer and more drawn out the situation becomes the more I can just feel the window of opportunity creeping closed.  For a while, GCS was far off in the nebulous future.  Then it just so happened that I saw the stars and planets align into a potential. Suddenly, the future was not some nebulous thing, but a distinct path that could be planned for with contingencies galore.  All it would take is some self righteous jerks in power to sunder that path.  Another chance would be unlikely until a long time in the future.

I did finally get my response.  Yes, a masters level therapist is fine.  They just couldn't seem to understand why I was so concerned to get verification.  If I just assumed and moved forward to be wrong it would legitimately screw over me, my wife, and our three young children.  I have already screwed things up enough over the years that our margin for error is tiny.  As it is I'm going to have to go about certain things in an untypical manner timing wise.

I would like to thank everyone has listened to me rant and vent.  I'm most assuredly not done doing it.  I am only done with it regarding this matter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Roll:

--- Quote from: amberwaves on October 03, 2017, 04:54:50 pm ---They just couldn't seem to understand why I was so concerned to get verification.  If I just assumed and moved forward to be wrong it would legitimately screw over me, my wife, and our three young children.

--- End quote ---

Oh god, I hate it when people act like you're crazy for seeking clarification before moving ahead on something. I run into all the time, particularly when dealing with academics. Like planning ahead and getting things right is a bad thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version