Author Topic: Health insurance question?  (Read 838 times)

Offline Jayne01

• Family
Health insurance question?
« on: November 02, 2017, 05:27:00 am »
Hi there. I was just wondering if anybody here in Aussie land has private health insurance that covers any transitioning costs, or knows of any insurance that provides this type of cover?

I have about 40hours of electrolysis and countless hours of therapy under my belt. I don’t know how far I need to transition. If I need to go all the way, which I am learning is a real possibility, it would be nice if insurance could help with some of the costs. I would like to have this worked out before I need the insurance because there will be waiting periods before I could make a claim.

Things that immediately come to mind are:
• voice training/therapy
• surgical procedures (GCS, FFS, VFS)
• electrolysis

I may not need all of these things, other than electrolysis on my face. Facial hair has got to go!!!

Thank you.
Jayne

Offline LizK

• I once dreamt I met a unicorn......
Re: Health insurance question?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 07:23:23 pm »
Hi Jayne

I have just been through this and got myself Private health cover for my SRS/GCS next year.

As far as voice training and surgery goes you are able to claim via Medicare for about half the cost of the sessions. As far as the surgery goes, what is covered will depend on wether or not your surgeon can see that it is medically necessary.

Electrolysis is not covered as far as I know because it falls under elective procedures(yeah right LOL).

If you are in Australia and you use your insurance then you will only be able to use the surgeon from Melbourne or Sydney. My understanding is that if you go overseas not only will your insurance not cover it but no surgeon here will touch you if you have a problem(not life saving stuff).

Happy to chat a bit more privately if you want further details ElizabethK@susans.org or just PM me

Hope that helps

Liz 
HRT since 17 May 2016, Fulltime from 8 March 2017, GCS Scheduled November 28 2018, Transition Begun 25 September 2015 

67D20H05M BWCA? ;D

When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be – Lao Tzu

Offline jagfel

• Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 05:28:36 am »
I'm with Medibank which is going to cover top surgery & hysto for me but cannot guarantee they will cover MtF procedures under the same cover as I haven't looked into that side.

Alternatives for bottom surgery are a compassionate early release for super. This applies if you go overseas for surgery.

Offline AnonyMs

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 05:35:34 am »
It's a good idea to do laser before electrolysis if you can. Much cheaper, faster, and less painful.

Offline Jayne01

• Family
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 02:20:08 pm »
Laser scares me a little. I’ve heard a few stories where the laser has triggered more hair to grow. My electrologist was treating a guy who had laser done on his arms and it stimulated hair to start growing like crazy. So then he had to get electrolysis done on it. I also spoke with a laser place and they themselves told me that laser is not permanent and that I would have to go back once or twice a year. I have also heard of several success stories, but overall I just got confused from the mixed reports about laser. Electrolysis is expensive and slow but has been proven to be permanent and I don’t find it too painful. My electrologist told me she can work faster with me because I have a higher pain threshold, so that’s a positive at least.

Offline AnonyMs

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 07:09:41 pm »
If laser does cause problems it's got to be fairly rare. It's very popular, and approved in the USA for permanent hair reduction. And it's you electrolgist telling you that...

As far as I can work it out, laser doesn't get everything but what it does kill is gone for good.

Offline Jayne01

• Family
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 01:29:55 am »
Actually my electrologist is a very nice person and very honest. She has many trans clients and she told me that many of her clients start with laser and then she finishes up with electrolysis. I was seriously considering starting with laser but when I spoke to a laser place (proper laser not IPL) they told me themselves that it would not be permanent and would have to keep going back. I just wasn’t confident to have laser treatment, especially when the laser place themselves told me it wasn’t permanent. If the horror stories are rare, I’m just the kind of person to be in that rare group.

Online Cindy

• The Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 01:51:36 am »
Hi,

Much as Liz said. I am with HCF and they covered everything except laser or electrolysis. Well partially covered it. Always check the fine details with the company as they may try to get out of anything that they consider 'cosmetic' or 'psychiatric' unless you have psychiatric cover.

As for Laser vs Electro. I've only had Laser and no problems. I had some regrowth problems but that was as a result of chemotherapy. Laser removed that as well.

I'm around 8 years post transition.

Oh and there is a new surgeon going to be offering reassignment surgery and based in the ACT. Trained with the UK mob. No details at the moment as to whether he will be doing any phallo work.

Offline Jayne01

• Family
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 01:29:34 am »
Thanks Cindy. I will start looking at different policies and see what they offer.

I am happy to continue with electrolysis for now. Tomorrow I am having a 4 hour session. It’s the first session since starting HRT 2 months ago. I usually do 3 hours per week but I took a break when my wife and I went on holidays. It will be interesting to see if the HRT has any effect on my pain threshold.

Good to know there is a new surgeon offering surgery so that there is an extra option available.

Offline Claire_Sydney

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 07:34:40 am »
I had my final surgery earlier this year and now consider my gender transition complete. I elected to go overseas for both SRS and FFS although Andy Ives in Melbourne would be a credible option worth investigating for SRS.

I did hours and hours of electrolysis and about 50 sessions of laser over a few years.

You can't beat the laser for killing lots of hairs very quickly.

Just my ten cents worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Claire_Sydney

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 07:43:46 am »
Also, I think the surgeon you are talking about is Dr Keiren Hart, who is operating out of Barton Private Hospital and National Capital Private Hospital in Canberra.

He has primarily worked in Australia as a urological surgeon, although he trained in SRS with Tina Rashid and Phil Thomas in the UK.

Offline Jayne01

• Family
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 10:05:20 am »
Which laser clinic did you use Claire? I’m assuming it was in Sydney from your username.

Offline AnonyMs

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 05:24:43 pm »
Which laser clinic did you use Claire? I’m assuming it was in Sydney from your username.

I've heard a few women say good things about Laser Clinics Australia. They are all over the place, do proper laser (not IPL) and have frequent discounts.

https://www.laserclinics.com.au/

Offline Claire_Sydney

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 01:45:38 pm »
Yes, I used Laser Clinics Australia. It is a national chain, I think.

Initially, they had never knowingly met a transgender person, and it was pretty problematic.

However, they are much more aware of their position as an allied health service provider now, and they have done some diversity training.

I know two other transwomen who go to the same store for facial hair laser.

I believe all their stores use both the Candela Alexandrite and YAG lasers depending on your skin colour.

Good luck. Let us know how you go.

Offline Jayne01

• Family
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 02:02:56 pm »
Thank you Claire. For now I am happy with the electrolysis but if I start feeling that it is moving along too slowly I might do some laser sessions to speed things up. I am all of a sudden feeling the urge to accelerate my transition, so sticking with the electrolysis might be a good way to keep it going at a reasonable pace. I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself and I certainly don’t want to go too fast that my wife can’t keep up with her own process.

Jayne

Offline Ellement_of_Freedom

• Family
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 05:16:26 am »
Hiya! Just an FYI - actual laser is illegal in WA unless it's done by a doctor. Naturally that makes it extremely expensive compared to other states.

That leaves IPL or electrolysis.

So really it leaves electrolysis. :P

Offline Jayne01

• Family
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 05:54:48 am »
Hiya! Just an FYI - actual laser is illegal in WA unless it's done by a doctor. Naturally that makes it extremely expensive compared to other states.

That leaves IPL or electrolysis.

So really it leaves electrolysis. :P
Illeagal?? Wow, that didn’t even cross my mind as a possibility. There seem to be laser clinics popping up all over the place in Sydney. I’m guessing many of those are IPL.

Jayne

Offline Ellement_of_Freedom

• Family
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 02:34:04 am »
Illeagal?? Wow, that didn’t even cross my mind as a possibility. There seem to be laser clinics popping up all over the place in Sydney. I’m guessing many of those are IPL.

Jayne
It's completely backwards and makes no sense, right? Every other state has plenty of laser clinics around and available at affordable prices. It's even cheaper in Australia than in the US, actually. ASIDE from WA...

Tags: