General Discussions > Addiction

Quit smoking

(1/4) > >>

MeTony:
Why do we have to quit smoking to get treatment?

I stopped smoking 25 years ago but use snus, wet snuff, that I put under my lip. No smoking hazards but a lot of nicotine. It is 10 times harder to quit snus than cigarettes.

I quit twice, when I was pregnant. I quit for 1,5 year. When I stopped brest feeding I could not resist snus anymore and was stuck again! It is a powerful drug. I was motivated 400% when I quit snus, I had an innocent human in my body taking damage of nicotine if I used snus. But I don’t know if I can get that motivation again for myself. To not damage myself.

Is it nicotine that is dangerous? Or is it something else in the cigarettes?

Tony

Cindy:

--- Quote from: MeTonie on November 12, 2017, 01:33:20 am ---Why do we have to quit smoking to get treatment?

I stopped smoking 25 years ago but use snus, wet snuff, that I put under my lip. No smoking hazards but a lot of nicotine. It is 10 times harder to quit snus than cigarettes.

I quit twice, when I was pregnant. I quit for 1,5 year. When I stopped brest feeding I could not resist snus anymore and was stuck again! It is a powerful drug. I was motivated 400% when I quit snus, I had an innocent human in my body taking damage of nicotine if I used snus. But I don’t know if I can get that motivation again for myself. To not damage myself.

Is it nicotine that is dangerous? Or is it something else in the cigarettes?

Tony

--- End quote ---

I know I may be one of those people who gave up and then preaches but I don't preach.

Nothing in snuff or cigarettes is any good to you.

Nicotine is a very good poison and has been used as poison to kill vermin.

I know giving up nicotine is incredibly difficult as it is highly addictive, I think it has been reported to be as addictive as heroin or more so.

If you want motivation just look at my throat every time you want to take some.

You really don't want to have your throat removed, it isn't a good look.

Rakel:
The association with Cancer is well documented. Snuf users are more prone to mouth cancers. Photos of people with mouth cancer are very disfiguring and the treatment is worse.

Also well documented are the cardio-vascular effects. Heart attacks and strokes are first on the list of adverse effects.

Is there any doubt as to why smokers do not live as long as non-smokers.

The damage is caused by nicotine and a number of other chemicals. It makes no difference if you inhale vapors or absorb the chemicals through the insides of your cheeks.

MeTony:
I need to build up motivation. Maybe I’ll be motivated when I get further along the trail of transition. I have barely started my journey.

It is also expensive as hell!

When dysphoria hits you, it’s hard to get motivated to quit your ”pacifier”.

Deborah:
I used to smoke, Starting when I was 14, and it was heavily triggered by dysphoria.  On those many occasions I quit for a year or two I usually just switched to snuff (it was the thing in the Army).  I got badly addicted to nicotine and found long term quitting nearly impossible.

So I switched to e-cigarettes.  I still get the nicotine at whatever level I desire without all the other harmful chemicals.  I don’t know if it is harmless or not, the science of that is still indefinite.  But it is a lot less damaging than what I did previously and compared to smoking has zero immediate negative cardiovascular effects.  It does fill the niche as pacifier and eliminates the desire for tobacco.

I have told my HRT Dr. and she is unconcerned.  Previously she had been very concerned about smoking and had told me to stop.

So if you are trying to stop other tobacco use and are unable to do so then this is a workable alternative that greatly reduces risk and negative health effects, at least for the short term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version