General Discussions > Employment Opportunities

Job hunting in IT

<< < (3/3)

sarah1972:
Do not underestimate the skill of being able to use google...

About 10% of my e-mails every day are just answering question which could have been easily googled. And many times, I just google and send what I find

The real skill here is to filter out the noise and decide what the best result is to solve your problem.

So having that skill (even tough you cannot write it in your resume) is actually something I value a lot :-)

--- Quote from: Roll on November 15, 2017, 09:05:13 am ---I don't think resorting to google is a negative either. So many people I've worked with over the past year or so will just bash their heads against the wall, convinced they know how to solve something, then I'll just google it and have it taken care of in minutes. Knowing what you don't know or looking for refreshers is super important to actually getting things done. Why go through endless trial and error when someone else has already done it for you? :D

--- End quote ---

Sarah_P:
Thank you everyone! Even the head of the regional IT department here said she & her people all resort to google for answers. I just can't imagine NOT reaching out for assistance for something you can't figure out yourself, but I know there are a lot of people who do just that.

What I need to do then, is (hopefully) get whatever entry-level position in IT I can, and continue to work on my coding & web development skills.
So today I finally finished up my resume, got a cover letter written, and applied for a Support Analyst position in Kansas City. All the job duties look like exactly what I've been doing the last 12 years!  I've also got some contact information for some people in the regional library system up that way, and will look into who does IT services for both the Kansas & Missouri sides of KC's libraries.

The main thing is I've got to find something & get moved within the next few months, or my physical changes will be too hard to hide. If you've not read some of my other posts, that could be life-threatening in this little town I live in.

Gertrude:
Doing desktop support and coding are two different disciplines in IT. Unless you work for a small organization or are a freelancer, there’s not a lot of call for both. If one of my kids wanted to get into IT, I’d tell them to either become a developer or go into project management getting a PMP and six sigma. There’s better money there. Information security too. Maybe the best bet is to get an entry level IT job at a university where you could further your education for free. It’s more laid back than the private sector and more accepting of lgbt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version