International > English (UK)

Thursday, ITV1

(1/3) > >>

davina61:
just seen a trailer for a transgender documentary 9pm on Thursday ITV1 , incase anyone is interested

VickyS:
Thanks for that!  Actually my mum rang me to tell me about it as she wants to know as much about it as possible.  She also asked me what a transsexual is.  I think that's positive!

For those who watched it, what did you think? 

Considering it is a three part series, I think too much emphasis was put on the surgery and the final stages of transition and not much at all on dysphoria and what it feels like.  I thought this was a missed opportunity as it would be good for the general population to know the hell that is dysphoria and understand why we would want to change our bodies to fit with our internal identities.  BUT I am also aware that the surgery will get more ratings which is what making TV programmes is all about I guess.

I enjoyed it.  Few cringeworthy moments, but good non the less. I will be watching next week.

It must have affected me as this morning driving to work, I imagined myself in the place of the lady receiving SRS and having the 'pack' removed.  She was in terrible pain, crying & swearing but thanked the surgeon.  I cried this morning when I thought of me in her place.   

Elis:
Just reading the description of it on the ITV website made me cringe. Had the usual misconceptions that we were born one gender and we decide to become something else. Is it so hard to make a trans documentary which doesn't always focus on surgery and hormones.

And of course they never mention how long it takes to get medical help. It's shameful how bad the waiting times are.

Yes it's a good thing that the recent spate of documentaries shows that this is something we need to do and not a choice; but it still leads people to believe we were born one gender and become enough; that we're all stereotypically binary and that we all medically transition.

VickyS:

--- Quote from: Elis on January 12, 2018, 05:37:19 am ---Just reading the description of it on the ITV website made me cringe. Had the usual misconceptions that we were born one gender and we decide to become something else. Is it so hard to make a trans documentary which doesn't always focus on surgery and hormones.

And of course they never mention how long it takes to get medical help. It's shameful how bad the waiting times are.

Yes it's a good thing that the recent spate of documentaries shows that this is something we need to do and not a choice; but it still leads people to believe we were born one gender and become enough; that we're all stereotypically binary and that we all medically transition.

--- End quote ---

There is a lot of work to do to educate the masses!  It's a very difficult thing as most cis-folk are not interested unless it directly affects their lives. Apart from the bigots who just seem to hate everything.

They did imply more than once that it was a choice to become the opposite gender rather than saying that the person was always that gender but their bodies developed in the wrong direction and transition is repairing that.  Little things like that (from the TV company's point of view) make such a difference. Although having said that, it was implied once I think but not directly stated.

I'm not sure if having lots of documantaries and publicity is an overall good or bad thing.  In one way it's good as it gets the concept of being trans into the public's mind but then you get the idiots saying people are doing it because it's fashionable or a cool thing to do these days.  Human stupidity knows no bounds...

Elis:

--- Quote from: VickyS on January 12, 2018, 06:26:39 am ---There is a lot of work to do to educate the masses!  It's a very difficult thing as most cis-folk are not interested unless it directly affects their lives. Apart from the bigots who just seem to hate everything.

They did imply more than once that it was a choice to become the opposite gender rather than saying that the person was always that gender but their bodies developed in the wrong direction and transition is repairing that.  Little things like that (from the TV company's point of view) make such a difference. Although having said that, it was implied once I think but not directly stated.

I'm not sure if having lots of documantaries and publicity is an overall good or bad thing.  In one way it's good as it gets the concept of being trans into the public's mind but then you get the idiots saying people are doing it because it's fashionable or a cool thing to do these days.  Human stupidity knows no bounds...

--- End quote ---

Very true. Many documentaries on TV if not all favour being sensationalist rather than accurate. It's both a good and a bad thing you can get more accurate knowledge wither on the Internet or YouTube than on tv

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version