Author Topic: Jessica's Rose Garden  (Read 51122 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
Re: Jessica's Rose Garden
« Reply #960 on: December 25, 2020, 07:57:09 am »
Jessica,

I hope this continues to be a wonderful day for you and Susan.

Hugs,

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Jessica_Rose

« Reply #961 on: December 28, 2020, 09:43:32 am »
Four years ago today, 28 December 2016, I discovered the source of my anger and rage. It's been an amazing journey, and I still have a lot to learn. This year has been tougher than most due to COVID-19. Adding to the pain, in February we lost my mom to cancer, in April we lost one of our furry companions, and in May our youngest daughter graduated and moved away to start her career (both happy and sad about this) -- so we have an empty nest. I have been working from home since mid-March. Other than Susan, the only person I regularly socialize with is my electrologist. The reduced socialization makes it feel as though I have regressed. Some days I wake up not realizing I'm a woman until I look under the sheets.

Pronouns. Strangers always get it right, friends are close to 100%, family gets it right most of the time -- the person who most often gets it wrong is me. For some reason when I think about myself, my thoughts include the wrong name and the wrong pronoun. It's difficult to overcome five decades of suppression. Hopefully one day my brain will catch up with reality.

I have one more significant surgery planned, although I'm considering a few minor procedures to fix little things that bother me. Unfortunately, it isn't just vanity driving my desire to look my best. In some places being read as transgender can result in being assaulted, or worse. The more boxes I check off, the safer I will be.

Almost every legal document that matters now has 'Jessica' on it. I'm not sure if we can update our daughters' birth certificates. If they would just add my name and leave my dead name, then I don't see much reason to try changing them. However, there is one important piece of paper we can fix, and I'm trying to convince Susan that we should take care of it. Fixing it will remove any potential legal issues related to our marriage. We have plenty of time to plan something simple, next June will be our 37th wedding anniversary...

Changing your perception of yourself isn't easy, neither is changing everyone's perception of who you are. The only way to be truly happy is by being true to yourself -- not by being the person others want or expect you to be. I'll close this post with some lyrics from the clean version of 'Perfect' by P!NK:

You're so mean when you talk
About yourself, you are wrong.
Change the voices in your head,
Make them like you instead.

So complicated, look how we all make it,
Filled with so much hatred, such a tired game.
It's enough, I've done all I can think of,
Chased down all my demons, I'll see you do the same.

Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel
Like you're less than, less than perfect.
Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel
Like you're nothing, you are perfect to me.

Love always -- Jessica Rose

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #962 on: December 28, 2020, 09:48:56 am »
Jessica,

We love you too.

Thank you for being you.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline RandyL

• On the way
« Reply #963 on: December 28, 2020, 04:32:02 pm »
Jessica, you are like a rocket, arcing brightly into the sky and illuminating the way for others. I think I'm on the slow boat to China

We love you and are delighted that Susan and you can be happy together.

Happy New Year! Randy

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

Casting about for my best path forward...

My personal blog thread: Randy the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randy's HRT Journal

Offline Jessica_Rose

« Reply #964 on: January 09, 2021, 02:57:53 pm »
Chrissy, I tried being someone else and that didn't work out very well. For better or worse, being myself is the only viable option left.

RandyL, I'm not sure about being a rocket. Most rockets burn out and crash into the ocean, while those that make it into space usually burn up during reentry! I do understand what you're saying though. Many of those who started around the time I did have moved on, and I think I know why. Staying here reminds me of who I pretended to be, along with the pain and anguish I caused others. I may decide to retire from Susan's one day. As long as I think my posts may be helping even just one person, I'll probably hang around.

On Monday I made the first major payment on my upcoming surgery, my final payment is due on the January 19th. Hopefully the current spike in COVID-19 cases won't cause a delay. I am skipping a holiday party for the softball team I photograph over the summer -- fifty to sixty people in an enclosed area really doesn't sound like a good idea right now. I will probably also miss out on a niece's wedding in April due to COVID. Although the wedding will be outdoors, there is still a chance of exposure. My daughter's wedding is just two weeks later. Although I love my niece, my daughter takes precedence.

I probably had my last laser session a few days ago, there is virtually no dark hair left to treat. I have also backed off on electrolysis a little. Instead of four to five hours per week, I'm down to three now. That will drop even more after next week, since I must stop facial electrolysis one month before surgery. After nearly four years of electrolysis, coarse hair is getting extremely rare now.

My journey has taken much longer than I expected, and it has also cost much more than I had planned. Was it worth it? Knowing what I know now, would I do it again? Yes to both. If I had not taken this leap I would probably be dead by now, and I may well have taken a few others with me. The person I pretended to be is gone, and my soul is finally learning how to dance in the sun.

Offline Jessica_Rose

« Reply #965 on: January 13, 2021, 08:30:47 pm »
Today was a good day. I had an appointment with a new dental hygienist. She took a few x-rays, checked my gums, then did a cleaning. After she was done, she began looking for anomalies and noticed the scar from my last surgery. She said 'wow, that's a long scar. Looks like you had a jaw reduction.' I told her she was correct, then added 'that's not all.' She eventually noticed my lip implants, and commented that implants are better than fillers because they are permanent. She asked if I had any other surgeries. She seemed accepting, so I decided to show her my 'before and after' photos. She had no idea. She said if I had not told her, she would never have guessed that I had transitioned. Later she mentioned her daughter was great with eye makeup, then said her daughter could show me how to make my beautiful blue eyes really stand out! Maybe some makeup lessons are in my future...

Something else happened over the weekend, something rather important. There is a certain legal document which still has my dead name, and I really want to fix it. I asked Susan about the document a few weeks ago, and she finally answered. For the second time in her life, she has agreed to marry me. I have already contacted a wedding planner, and she loves our story. We are planning a simple, outdoor ceremony in a local park. Our current anniversary is June 2nd, which is a Wednesday, so that won't do. The following Saturday is June 5th, which would have been my parents' 66th Anniversary. Sadly, my mom is no longer with us, but my dad thinks it's a great idea. So on June 5th 2021, Susan and I will once again say 'I do'. Unlike the first time, both of us will be wearing wedding dresses.

Offline RandyL

• On the way
« Reply #966 on: January 14, 2021, 12:10:19 pm »
...So on June 5th 2021, Susan and I will once again say 'I do'. Unlike the first time, both of us will be wearing wedding dresses.

Congratulations to the two of you! Will there be a honeymoon? Don't they say "many happy returns"? I don't know what that means, but I hope your mutual love will flow in return from/to each of you.

My personal blog thread: Randy the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

Offline Jessica_Rose

« Reply #967 on: January 23, 2021, 09:06:08 am »
@RandyL , any honeymoon will probably be delayed for a little while. I expect we will have some guests staying at our house, and we would be poor hosts to run out on them! We haven't taken a trip for ourselves in several years, and June is a nice time to travel in this part of the country, so I expect will we head off somewhere for a week or so.

In three weeks, Susan and I will be heading down to Scottsdale for my next surgery. We already paid the clinic, hotel reservations are in place, and my vacation time has been approved. Although surgery is expected to take about 8 hours, recovery should be quicker and less uncomfortable than my previous surgeries. As much as I enjoy working with Dr. Ley and her staff, hopefully this will be my last visit for the foreseeable future.

We are also making progress on our wedding plans. We ordered new rings (Susan picked them out), we narrowed down possible dresses (although always on the lookout for others), we started working on a guest list, and we may have found a photographer. Our planner is also checking on the possibility of a slightly different venue.

Offline Jessica_Rose

« Reply #968 on: January 31, 2021, 07:41:53 pm »
In two weeks Susan and I will be in Scottsdale for what will hopefully be my last big surgery. My COVID-19 test will be on February 15th, along with my pre-op appointment. The next morning I need to arrive at the surgical center around 5:30am, with my eight-hour nap scheduled to begin at 7:30am. No visitors are allowed, so I won't see Susan again until I am released on February 18th. My post-op appointment will be on February 23rd, and hopefully we can start the drive home later that day.

Our new wedding rings should arrive tomorrow (February 1st), and we have booked a photographer. Our wedding planner is looking into alternative venues. The first alternative venue quoted a price outrageously high. Our original venue is free, and that one will always be available! Susan bought some white sandals yesterday, and our daughters helped me select a wedding dress -- they both agreed on the same one! We will probably order our dresses within the next few days.

As if this year wasn't already shaping up to be busy, we are making plans for another big change in our lives. We still have several things to research, but if everything falls into place we will have another announcement to make within the next month or two.

Offline RandyL

• On the way
« Reply #969 on: February 01, 2021, 08:37:58 pm »
Well Jess, February is the right time to go to Scottsdale. I hope your surgery goes well and the recovery is as smooth as possible. I also hope Susan can have a nice, sunny vacation while you're indoors.

Offline Jessica_Rose

« Reply #970 on: February 08, 2021, 04:38:55 am »
Randy, it will indeed be nice to warm up a bit! We will be leaving for Scottsdale next Saturday. So far, everything is still on schedule.

Our new wedding rings have arrived, and we are both very happy with them. We also hired a photographer. We haven't ordered our dresses yet. After a bit more research, we decided to find a more reliable source! We visited a wedding venue on Saturday (The Pinery at the Hill) which was much more reasonably priced than the first, and we plan to visit a second venue (Black Forest by Wedgewood) tomorrow. From what we can tell the prices are similar. The main difference is that the Black Forest venue has the option of indoor or outdoor ceremonies, while the Pinery is indoors only. We plan to keep the number of guests low due to COVID, we want those attending to feel safe.

I have asked a very special friend to be my Matron of Honor. Unless something unexpected comes up, she has agreed. She was the very first person I came out to, I told her two weeks before I found the courage to tell Susan. I was frightened and vulnerable, and she welcomed me with open arms. Imagine what could have happened if she had reacted negatively. We saw each other on a weekly basis for well over two years, and she constantly offered advice and comfort. My friend has retired now and I haven't seen her in over a year, but I will always remember her kindness. Although CJ at times caused me quite a bit of discomfort, that's the job of an electrologist! Second only to Susan, I can't think of anyone else who played a more important role in my life these last few years.

Offline RandyL

• On the way
« Reply #971 on: February 08, 2021, 01:03:10 pm »
I'm glad I got to "enjoy" CJ's ministrations for a period of time before she retired. Kris has now filled that role for me and I actually look forward to our time together. Hugs, Randy

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

Offline Jessica_Rose

« Reply #972 on: February 12, 2021, 02:12:27 pm »
CJ helped a lot of people, and Kris is filling CJ's shoes very well.

Our tour of the Wedgewood venue went well, but we have decided to go with The Pinery for our ceremony and reception. I made the deposit this morning, so the venue is reserved for our wedding. Now we just have to decide on some dresses, and a few hundred other things.

Offline Jessica_Rose

« Reply #973 on: February 23, 2021, 09:36:08 am »
I missed a recent anniversary, but I have been busy...

Two years and two days ago, I had GCS. I've had several surgeries since then, and yesterday I returned from my most recent one. Each was a major step, and each presented unique challenges and discomforts. Although physically painful at the time, I don't remember the pain -- I remember the sense of freedom associated after completing each step. Now all the major surgeries are done, my finances can begin to recover, and I can go on with my life without worrying about my next surgery. It was a long road, but every step was worth the cost. Thanks to all of you for your support.

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #974 on: February 23, 2021, 11:55:09 am »
@Jessica_Rose
Dear Jessica:

You are exactly right, any pain that you had experienced as a result of surgeries and healing is usually a
past long forgotten memory as you celebrate your successes and happiness with your "new" body !!!!

As for you and most of us that are transitioning or have transitioned...
....  I too have many anniversaries... many of which I forget and remember to celebrate !

My mind and body are just living life as Danielle.   I know from your postings that I read
that you are living life as Jessica.
     "Ain't it grand"  !!!!!! 

HUGS and more HUGS,
Danielle

***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #975 on: February 23, 2021, 05:47:59 pm »
I missed a recent anniversary, but I have been busy...

Two years and two days ago, I had GCS. I've had several surgeries since then, and yesterday I returned from my most recent one. Each was a major step, and each presented unique challenges and discomforts. Although physically painful at the time, I don't remember the pain -- I remember the sense of freedom associated after completing each step. Now all the major surgeries are done, my finances can begin to recover, and I can go on with my life without worrying about my next surgery. It was a long road, but every step was worth the cost. Thanks to all of you for your support.

Jessica,

Congratulations on all of your progress.  I stand amazed of all you have done and all of your sharing and helping others learn.

Chrissy