Author Topic: Acoustic guitar  (Read 425 times)

Offline Vicente

• Neighbor
Acoustic guitar
« on: February 22, 2020, 01:07:45 pm »
Wondering if anyone else plays guitar?

I found an old one and got new strings for it (pretty sure I got the wrong kind but still plays haha). This model plays with steel strings and tbh I find the sound way more pleasant to listen than nylon.
I had previously messed around with guitars before, but that's my first time trying to seriously play.

Offline Haley Conner

Re: Acoustic guitar
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 01:31:32 pm »
be sure to put water on your fingertips occasionally while practicing if you don't have thick callouses.

Offline JennyTG

• Family
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 01:59:05 pm »
I used to a lot but I stopped for a few years.  I have a Squire Strat Jap stock that is stored away.  I sold my acoustic.  I hope to purchase another acoustic and electric before too long.  Plus I need a decent combo amp to give me a better sound than what I learnt on.  So just in transition at the mo.  Good luck with your acoustic, it took me a long time to find the one I liked for a decent price.  I went with Maton from Australia in the end.  I might go used next time.

~Jenny~

Offline Vicente

• Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 06:57:33 pm »
@Haley Conner

I wasn't aware that was a thing! I read about the callouses but never about moisturizing. I practice only 20 minutes and it's not enough to make my fingers hurt. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

@JennyTG

Definitely encourage playing again! It's such a stress reliever.
Mine is a Memphis, it does feel a bit oversized but not uncomfortable. Maybe I need to get used to it still haha. If I manage to learn acoustic, definitely will look into getting a electric too, they sound amazing.

Offline JennyTG

• Family
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 02:42:35 am »
Good luck.  Get an electric soon if you can, it will help tremendously with your learning.  I probably would've given up playing if all I had was acoustic.  Oh I will get back into it, hopefully this year sometime.  Will send pics when I get my setup how I like it.

~Jenny~

Offline Andrea Candle

• Friend
    • My Music Channel
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 02:53:36 am »
My favorite acoustic guitar will be with 12 strings, I love the natural sound of the chorus  ;D
“Stop thinking and end your problems.” Lao Tzu

Offline Vicente

• Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 01:29:22 pm »
@JennyTG

Now I'm curious, what's the difference between electric and acoustic? Does it sounds better?
And please! I'd love to see tbh  ;D it will be a joy knowing you're doing something that makes you happy.

@Andrea Candle

I didn't knew these existed and I'm in love!
Whenever you can, I highly recommend getting one! Playing is very fun, specially something you like.

Offline Stevie

• I think I'm a verb
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 03:55:38 pm »
String tension is less on an electric guitar, so it's a bit easier on your fingers if you are just starting to play.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Offline Andrea Candle

• Friend
    • My Music Channel
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 01:39:44 am »
My favorite….

“Stop thinking and end your problems.” Lao Tzu

Offline georgie

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 01:48:52 am »
Been singing forever and playing guitar since 1975!  A number of years ago started doing some of the local open mics and have met some wonderful people.  Early last year I got my wife to sing on a few songs with me.  Sometimes we do the open mic as a duo.  It's a lot of fun...once you get past the initial stage fright that everyone has.  Guitars...I have more than I can play at one time!  *wink*

Offline Maddie

• Family
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 09:17:48 am »
Have changed hundreds of strings on guitars I played, and rarely change them unless they break. And I rarely break strings.

Acoustic, electric, bass, they're all great in different ways.  Depends what your going for...I'm not an expert, just like playing them.
I think a good guitar stays in decent tune and has strings that sit close enough to the neck to get clear tones without buzzing the frets when fingered properly. 
That last part is an important note ;)

A guitar that feels right, for whatever reason it does.

Offline Jennifer300

I love many different types of music
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 05:10:42 am »
I play for my own relaxation and enjoyment.  I am not that good, but I do enjoy playing.  I guess if I had real dedication and put time into it I would be a lot better.  I have played for a few decades, acoustic and electric.  I also play a bit of keyboards.  There are so many sounds and what sounds best at a certain time to me depends on my mood.  I truly believe music is the best thing I will experience on earth.  It can lift you up when you are feeling down, energize you when you feel tired, and generally improve you outlook on life if you let it.  I have a American Fender Stratocaster Deluxe from around 1999, it is a rare paint that looks green in one light and blue in another.  I fell in love with it immediately because of the way it played, and the color just reminded me of the ocean, calm and happy.  This is a video someone posted of my same model, the lighting does not do it justice.   I like the electric for lead guitar and playing along with many types of music. 

I have cheap acoustic I purchased also around 1999 that is nude, it has no varnish on the wood, it is more vulnerable to dirt and oils so I protect it but it has a very warm sound. 

I purchased one for travleing about a year ago and it doesn't play quite as well as the others but is very small and allows me to play more if I am away from home.  it really has a lot of cool features in the electronics such as an input I plug my phone into that allows me to play music into the guitar, and the electronics will blend what I am playing with it so I can play along with other prerecorded music.  It is an electric acoustic and although it has almost no body to resonate sound like a conventional acoustic, the electronics and pickups do a pretty darn good job of replicating the acoustic sound.  It stays in tune fine, but when you do need to tune it the knobs are recessed for saving space and makes it a bit harder to tune.  It also has a built in tuner.   

I do love the sound of a 12 string and have played one before, but it is a bit harder to hold the strings down and the necks are wider to accommodate the extra strings. 

Offline Maddie

• Family
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 08:50:12 am »
Nice humbucker-equipped strat, Jennifer.  Pretty too!

I also play for fun and hobby. 
My acoustic is a Yamaha A1R cutaway 6 string.  Nothing fancy, but works for my level of prowess, (or lack of).
Onboard tuner most handy because it will slip flat some. 
Also have a sweet old Harmony/Airline that I played in 40 US states and will sell.. if I can get enough for it.

Tags: