Author Topic: FFS with Dr. Zukowski  (Read 713 times)

Offline bloo11

FFS with Dr. Zukowski
« on: May 15, 2018, 04:39:53 am »
Hi!

So, I'm getting my first facial feminization surgery in a few days, which will be a browlift/hairline advancement/fat grafting to lips. It will be in Chicago with Dr. Zukowski.

It's the second plastic surgery I will have undergone, the first of which was breast augmentation with a completely different surgeon. That said, what are people's opinions of Dr. Zukowski and his work? Obviously, since surgery date is so near, the surgery has already been paid for, I've taken a couple of friends' advice to use him as a surgeon, and there's really no backing out. I'm still curious, though.

My own experience with him has been that he's really professional (apart from apologetically being half an hour late for our pre-op call), and he's not as pushy as I imagined him being. When we did the consultation, he basically said that I just needed a browlift and breasts, and I'd be indiscernible as TS, even to him. He was very sweet and said that my face would be in the top percentile of femininity, relative to the rest of his clientele (I can provide before-and-after pics to anyone who's considering him).

As far as the surgeries go, has anyone had any of the aforementioned things done? What was the recovery like? I am not paid salary, and instead work in the service industry, so I'm hoping to get back to work, and save up for the next surgery, as soon as I can. Basically, I'm intending to spend a week in a hotel near to Zukowski's office, and then I'm flying to Florida with my boyfriend (he lives there, and I'd rather just hang out at his place while recovering, as opposed to being alone at mine). Will I be able to go to the beach, or eat out, at anytime within the two weeks succeeding surgery? Haha.   

Thanks!
Have been transitioning 3.5 years. Name-change: 05/2016, Legally female: 06/2016, Breast augmentation: 09/2017, Graduation with BS in Informatics: 12/2017, Browlift/hairline advancement/lip augmentation: 06/2018

Offline Breeze 57

Re: FFS with Dr. Zukowski
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 12:45:54 pm »
If you don't mind, could you share some information with me as I am also interested in using Dr. Zukowski for FFS.

1)  How long did you have to wait to get in to see him for your initial appointment?
2)  How long a wait before you decided you wanted to proceed and the surgery date?
3)  Could I ask, ballpark, how much this is costing?  I also work in the service industry and do not have unlimited funds.

I'm thinking I want to get the bags under my eyes worked on and browlift/hairline advancement.  Not sure if he would do both of these at the same time or not.  Thanks for any information you can supply.

I've actually heard he is a very good plastic surgeon for FFS.

Offline yayo

• \m/
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 07:24:18 pm »
Like any surgeon, it’s a dice roll. You might get lucky and have a great outcome or not so lucky.

I’m personally pleased and grateful for my results with Dr. Z thus far. I had a rhino and fat graft. But fat grafts are risky. I think my lips and cheeks settled just about perfectly. I’ve seen others that didn’t settle as well...it’s unpredictable for everyone and varies with weight loss and gain after surgery.

As for his manner, he was great with me. Kind. Not pushy or too much of a salesman. He said when you’re young, the less surgery you get the better. Then other times he could be a bit of a jerk. Professional isn’t a word I’d use for him. And while some of his work is gorgeous, some is very overdone.

Just some random opinions.

Offline bloo11

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 02:57:02 am »
If you don't mind, could you share some information with me as I am also interested in using Dr. Zukowski for FFS.

1)  How long did you have to wait to get in to see him for your initial appointment?
2)  How long a wait before you decided you wanted to proceed and the surgery date?
3)  Could I ask, ballpark, how much this is costing?  I also work in the service industry and do not have unlimited funds.

I'm thinking I want to get the bags under my eyes worked on and browlift/hairline advancement.  Not sure if he would do both of these at the same time or not.  Thanks for any information you can supply.

I've actually heard he is a very good plastic surgeon for FFS.
1) Well, I will he honest and admit that I've never talked to Dr. Zukowski in person. I have had 3 phone calls with him, and 2 of 3 of them were free consultations. It took no more than 3 weeks to get him on the phone for these calls, and he was quite informative. One was even on a Sunday.
2) Well, I've wanted FFS pretty much my entire life. Even living as a guy, I wanted something done about my stupid brow. So, I really just had to decide who to undergo these procedures with. I chose him because of his proximity to my place. I actually regret using a more mainstream surgeon for breast augmentation, as opposed to Zukowski, as I am upset about how far apart by boobs are, even if they're quite large.
3) His quote for breast augmentation was $5800. I am paying $8000 for brow lift/hairline advancement/lip augmentation. I'm also getting a facelift/chin reduction/jaw reduction/trachea shave for $13000. I'm about 15% of the way towards the 13k, so I can let everyone know how that goes as well. Someone wanting to undergo everything I'm undergoing (keep in mind, I already look like a genetic girl) would pay probably 30k or less. That's including hotel costs and caregiver costs.

Don't feel intimidated. I did when I was a student, and it's generally so bad that I don't look at other tgirls. Even on this website, I have images disabled so that I don't compare and contrast my appearance. I've just stuck with things, and that's how I've afforded all of this. And no, my job in the service industry is NOT contributing to my savings for this.

Message me if you have any more questions. :)
Have been transitioning 3.5 years. Name-change: 05/2016, Legally female: 06/2016, Breast augmentation: 09/2017, Graduation with BS in Informatics: 12/2017, Browlift/hairline advancement/lip augmentation: 06/2018

Offline bloo11

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 03:09:33 am »
Like any surgeon, it’s a dice roll. You might get lucky and have a great outcome or not so lucky.

I’m personally pleased and grateful for my results with Dr. Z thus far. I had a rhino and fat graft. But fat grafts are risky. I think my lips and cheeks settled just about perfectly. I’ve seen others that didn’t settle as well...it’s unpredictable for everyone and varies with weight loss and gain after surgery.

As for his manner, he was great with me. Kind. Not pushy or too much of a salesman. He said when you’re young, the less surgery you get the better. Then other times he could be a bit of a jerk. Professional isn’t a word I’d use for him. And while some of his work is gorgeous, some is very overdone.

Just some random opinions.
I will admit that he seemed like a salesman to me towards the beginning. I remember our first conversation:

"Look, baby - you're gorgeous. Beautiful hair, beautiful eyes, modelesque build. But we could definitely bring your eyes out even more with a browlift. Don't worry about a thing, sweetie. You can get this as a graduation present to yourself. All you have to do is contact one of our third-party financing options, get a guy friend to cosign with you, and you'll be at your best."

So, that's actually not the route I took lol. Apart from his being half an hour late for our recent call, I've not had any problems with him, and I can definitely name some surgeons who are waaaaaay slimier than he is.

Also, people need to be aware that he's blunt. I have a higher hairline, and when I asked him about it, he said that we could definitely lower it since he noticed that I "deliberately cover it" in my consult photos.

Offline echo7

• Friend
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 05:44:04 am »
I had FFS with Dr Zukowski. He is a very down to earth kind of guy. Some people may mistake that for being unprofessional, but that’s just the way he shows his friendliness. He genuinely cares for his patients and always makes time to talk to them personally, something that many other surgeons do not do. As for results, I’m very happy with the work he did on my face. I pass effortlessly thanks to Dr Zukowski. Most of the time I don’t even wear any makeup anymore. I don’t need to.

Offline Circe

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 06:44:53 am »
I have had two consultations with Dr. Z, one in person and one otp.  He offered me a discount at the first consultation two years ago, but I decided not to take his offer since he doesn't do type III forehead work.  I had a phone consult with him a month ago to get a revision, and it was not a pleasant call.  He wanted to "redo everything", and it was going to "cost a lot more".  From what I've seen, he's a talented surgeon, and one of the pioneers in FFS, but he can be gruff.  I'm trying to see past that but comments like "they botched your surgery" do not help.

Offline bloo11

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 10:14:06 am »
I have had two consultations with Dr. Z, one in person and one otp.  He offered me a discount at the first consultation two years ago, but I decided not to take his offer since he doesn't do type III forehead work.  I had a phone consult with him a month ago to get a revision, and it was not a pleasant call.  He wanted to "redo everything", and it was going to "cost a lot more".  From what I've seen, he's a talented surgeon, and one of the pioneers in FFS, but he can be gruff.  I'm trying to see past that but comments like "they botched your surgery" do not help.
Oh, dear. I'm sorry. Yeah, he's nice but so honest, which I guess is just part of it. I've been scared to get consultations with him until I'm absolutely positive that I can afford everything.

Offline bloo11

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 10:17:10 am »
I had FFS with Dr Zukowski. He is a very down to earth kind of guy. Some people may mistake that for being unprofessional, but that’s just the way he shows his friendliness. He genuinely cares for his patients and always makes time to talk to them personally, something that many other surgeons do not do. As for results, I’m very happy with the work he did on my face. I pass effortlessly thanks to Dr Zukowski. Most of the time I don’t even wear any makeup anymore. I don’t need to.
That's so great to hear. I'm not worried about passing myself, as I pass as is. I'm aiming for a certain look, more than anything. And he is quite friendly. My BA surgeon has no regard for anything whatsoever, and she even asked for a psychiatric evaluation for BA, even though I'm legally female, and have been full-time for three years. I contested it and won, but the point is that getting in with Dr. Z is effortless, and his staff actually ensures that you're healthy and ready for the procedures.

Offline Doreen

• Family
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 10:17:34 am »
i went to Dr. Cardenas, and while everyone else seems to see me as female just fine, I still get that 'ick' factor sometimes when I look at my own pictures post ffs.  Now when I look in the mirror 95% of the time I think I'm cute.. but there is still that evil 5% that refuses to go away.  I wonder if it would ever, no matter how many surgeries?

I want to look at pictures, and see 100% female, adorable, someone people wouldn't mind dating.  I don't want to look and say "ewwww" :(  Its hard, and it makes me cry often.  I don't think its body dysmorphic disorder or w/e you want to call it.  I just want to be ... female.  And not some half way creature.

Offline bloo11

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 10:21:47 am »
i went to Dr. Cardenas, and while everyone else seems to see me as female just fine, I still get that 'ick' factor sometimes when I look at my own pictures post ffs.  Now when I look in the mirror 95% of the time I think I'm cute.. but there is still that evil 5% that refuses to go away.  I wonder if it would ever, no matter how many surgeries?

I want to look at pictures, and see 100% female, adorable, someone people wouldn't mind dating.  I don't want to look and say "ewwww" :(  Its hard, and it makes me cry often.  I don't think its body dysmorphic disorder or w/e you want to call it.  I just want to be ... female.  And not some half way creature.
Awh I am sorry. I don't know what you look like (I have images disabled on here haha), but I do have to say that I think there's a point where FFS can only do so much. I think part of it depends on what age one starts hormones.

Offline Doreen

• Family
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 10:26:36 am »
Awh I am sorry. I don't know what you look like (I have images disabled on here haha), but I do have to say that I think there's a point where FFS can only do so much. I think part of it depends on what age one starts hormones.

Oh I started fairly early and I cheated the whole timeline anyways.  My issue is more family gene pool and structure than it is actual hormones present.  My sister looks like she needs ffs.. just saying (as example).  She still looks cis though :)  I don't upload my pics as I am 'stealth' (WHATEVER THAT MEANS).  It just means for me that I'm not waving some kinda flag.  Really, I don't even know what I am yet.  The docs are still scratching their heads trying to figure me out.  I see a reproductive endocrinologist at Duke in 2 weeks.  My story is yet unwritten, but suffice to say .. I am 'unique' .. for better or worse (In my opinion, worse). 

I'm cute enough.  I pass enough.  I just wish things could've been different, but then where would my rich personal history be if I never passed these struggles along the way.  Life is like that, sadly.  Still, I would've given just about anything to be 'normal'

Offline bloo11

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 10:41:11 am »
Oh I started fairly early and I cheated the whole timeline anyways.  My issue is more family gene pool and structure than it is actual hormones present.  My sister looks like she needs ffs.. just saying (as example).  She still looks cis though :)  I don't upload my pics as I am 'stealth' (WHATEVER THAT MEANS).  It just means for me that I'm not waving some kinda flag.  Really, I don't even know what I am yet.  The docs are still scratching their heads trying to figure me out.  I see a reproductive endocrinologist at Duke in 2 weeks.  My story is yet unwritten, but suffice to say .. I am 'unique' .. for better or worse (In my opinion, worse). 

I'm cute enough.  I pass enough.  I just wish things could've been different, but then where would my rich personal history be if I never passed these struggles along the way.  Life is like that, sadly.  Still, I would've given just about anything to be 'normal'
Cool, I'm so glad you're unique. Uh yeah, I know what you mean with passing but still not really welcoming your appearance. I look too cutesie (extreme baby face, despite being pretty thin). I just use makeup to compensate for whatever I hate, namely contouring.

And what is "stealth"? If you mean that you're just not living as a trans woman day-to-day, but a few people know, I think that's pretty much anyone who passes, I'd hope. IDK.

Offline Allison S

• Family
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 11:20:02 am »

I don't think its body dysmorphic disorder or w/e you want to call it.  I just want to be ... female.  And not some half way creature.

This is how I feel, I'm having a lot of doubts lately because I'm scared I'll never "pass".. Even with ffs

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Offline Michelle_P

• Transgender veteran, advocate, and public speaker
  • Family
  • Voices for Transgender Equality member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 11:43:31 am »

Doreen, I completely understand this and have a similar experience. I havent had FFS or any other appearance-corrective procedures beyond GCS, which obviously very few will ever see.  The mirror is not my friend.

When I have my hair in place and 20 minutes of makeup craft done, I can see my reflection, and I see ME.  Without this, not so much.  I don’t seem the ‘sad old man’ any more, but what’s in that reflection of this body stripped of artifice isn’t me.   I am hoping that FFS and perhaps hair restoration if possible will help with this.

I know that even when done, it may take a year or so for those ancient mirror neuron networks in our brains to catch up, and recognize me in the mirror post-FFS and hair work.   I expect to have some uncomfortable mirror experiences until then, and just like any cis-woman, have the occasional bad day even after that.

We live in a culture that puts unreasonable expectations on all women, and this, I think, is a likely result.  Some days we won’t quite cut it, and the mirror won’t be our friend.

It’s not you, Doreen, just slow biology and an unrealistic culture. 
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 213 (8.5 were at the South Pole, five clearings)
On estradiol patch; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018

Offline Maria77

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 10:24:30 pm »
Dr. Z did my nose and shaved the masseter muscle and chin a couple of years back.  I’m going back this summer for a touch-up.  His roots are blue collar like me.  He served in the military and can be pretty blunt.  So when as someone else in the thread, he says things in a conversational manner, he is not being unprofessional.  (My blue collar husband really likes him).  That’s just his personality.   The last time we drove to Chicago and brought our cats and he played around with our huge and goofy maine coon.  :). He also doesn’t oversell you because he thought my forehead was not any priority (it’s gotten worse as I’ve aged-at least to me).    I’m a fan.

Offline bloo11

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 01:48:17 am »
Dr. Z did my nose and shaved the masseter muscle and chin a couple of years back.  I’m going back this summer for a touch-up.  His roots are blue collar like me.  He served in the military and can be pretty blunt.  So when as someone else in the thread, he says things in a conversational manner, he is not being unprofessional.  (My blue collar husband really likes him).  That’s just his personality.   The last time we drove to Chicago and brought our cats and he played around with our huge and goofy maine coon.  :). He also doesn’t oversell you because he thought my forehead was not any priority (it’s gotten worse as I’ve aged-at least to me).    I’m a fan.
Cool, I'm from the working class too. Would have never guessed that about him.

Offline TaylorLeigh

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 11:15:06 pm »
Hello Bloo -

As you mentioned planning a trachea shave with Dr. Z, I thought I’d bring this to your attention:

< Link removed by moderator. TOS 1 >

The person who originally posted this claimed to have voice damage as a result of a trachea shave with Dr. Z. Clearly many others have had the same procedure with Dr. Z and not had an issue. Still, it might be worth asking Dr. Z. what precautions he would take to prevent you from having this sort of complication.

Also, there is a recent video posted by someone about your age regarding her FFS experience with Dr. Z in January of this year (overall positive). You can find it by searching “Zoey Alexandra” on You Tube. I tried to paste the link here, but I guess video links are blocked.

- Taylor
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 07:47:20 pm by Laurie »

Offline bloo11

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 12:35:26 pm »
Hello Bloo -

As you mentioned planning a trachea shave with Dr. Z, I thought I’d bring this to your attention:

< Link removed by moderator. TOS 1 >

The person who originally posted this claimed to have voice damage as a result of a trachea shave with Dr. Z. Clearly many others have had the same procedure with Dr. Z and not had an issue. Still, it might be worth asking Dr. Z. what precautions he would take to prevent you from having this sort of complication.

Also, there is a recent video posted by someone about your age regarding her FFS experience with Dr. Z in January of this year (overall positive). You can find it by searching “Zoey Alexandra” on You Tube. I tried to paste the link here, but I guess video links are blocked.

- Taylor
Thank you! Yeah, I'm considering not getting the trachea shave, given that my voice sounds female and my trachea is feminine. I have a couple months to decide, really.

Offline Doreen

• Family
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 11:22:46 pm »
Thank you! Yeah, I'm considering not getting the trachea shave, given that my voice sounds female and my trachea is feminine. I have a couple months to decide, really.

I have always looked younger than I am... especially now. I'm in my 40's, and look much younger.  That being said, beware the trach shave. I had Dr. Menard do CTA, but the surgery was in the same area (I had no noticeable adams apple, so didn't need it shaved so he said)  but the SCAR on the neck hasn't faded. Just be aware thats a possibility. If I hadn't been so hasty I could probably have easily retrained my voice as I had pushed it that far anyways... eh hindsight & all that.

Still working on reducing it.. if the microneedling isn't effective I'll have to think about just having someone recut & sew it back together again as a last resort. 

Tags: