Author Topic: Help with therapists or WPATH  (Read 382 times)

Offline Lauren24

• Visitor
Help with therapists or WPATH
« on: May 31, 2018, 08:33:55 pm »
Hello, I'm new here.

I was on chat last night after a frustrating round of therapy with my new therapist (I am/was a member with Kaiser). I have been on hormones for about 3 years. I wanted to talk with a surgeon about potential complications from SRS and concerns that I have about it. My therapist said that she would not write me a letter to see the surgeon because she did not think I was presenting hard enough. I have long hair, but she doesn't like the way that I like to dress (cargo shorts and t shirts). She cited WPATH guidelines as the reason. I was very upset because I had waited 5 months to hear that news. That (along with other surgeries) was the whole reason I got the insurance, so I dropped it today.

Does anyone know how to get around these guidelines? Or if there is a list of transgender friendly therapists who don't pull this sort of stunt? Thanks for reading!

Offline Devlyn

• Family
  • Veteran, US Army
Re: Help with therapists or WPATH
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 08:42:23 pm »
Hi Lauren, welcome to Susan's Place! All of the service providers in our Links Directory are transgender friendly, look in the Healthcare section for therapists.

https://www.susans.org/links/

Most providers are going to follow WPATH guidelines, the only exception is likely to be a cash upfront deal. This is because of insurance requirements.

Good luck and see you around the site.

Hugs, Devlyn

Offline Devlyn

• Family
  • Veteran, US Army
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 08:46:18 pm »
Also, WPATH no longer mandates a binary target gender presentation.

Offline Lauren24

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 09:53:37 pm »
Also, WPATH no longer mandates a binary target gender presentation.

That is awesome to hear. Thank you for the warm welcome :)

Offline Devlyn

• Family
  • Veteran, US Army

Online KathyLauren

• Casting off dull certainty
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 06:20:55 am »
Hi, Lauren!

Welcome to Susan's.

I like your name - Lauren is my middle name.

Your therapist is not supposed to be the fashion police.  As Devlyn said, there is nothing in the current WPATH standards that requires a particular presentation.  You do have to present as your true gender for a year prior to surgery.  But a tomboy girl is still a girl.

Please feel free to stop by the Introductions forum to tell the members about yourself.  Here is some information that we like to share with new members:

Things that you should read

2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly, beginning full-time; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS

Tags: