General Discussions > Gender Studies

Question about childhood toys and if they really define us

(1/5) > >>

Amaki:
Ok I had no better 'catchy' title for this, but Ive read and talked with a few people and I mean honestly from experience as well I really dont believe that they do. A lot of kids are bought toys and told play with these that doesn't mean much right, I know my best friend who is in the same boat gender dysphoria wise I talk with her a lot, she did have barbies and what not but she also have toys like Terminator and anything Alien(movie not just aliens lol). But growing up I played more with like Lego's and K'nex it didn't change how I felt or feel now.

Mostly I think its an argument from the older generation trying to justify why we are how we are with no real proof, I guess Im just looking to see what type of toys everyone had growing up

I did enjoy playing imagination style games but its not like I was ever rolled as the mom or anything either lol I dont know 

Doreen:

--- Quote from: Amaki on May 31, 2018, 10:51:51 pm ---Ok I had no better 'catchy' title for this, but Ive read and talked with a few people and I mean honestly from experience as well I really dont believe that they do. A lot of kids are bought toys and told play with these that doesn't mean much right, I know my best friend who is in the same boat gender dysphoria wise I talk with her a lot, she did have barbies and what not but she also have toys like Terminator and anything Alien(movie not just aliens lol). But growing up I played more with like Lego's and K'nex it didn't change how I felt or feel now.

Mostly I think its an argument from the older generation trying to justify why we are how we are with no real proof, I guess Im just looking to see what type of toys everyone had growing up

I did enjoy playing imagination style games but its not like I was ever rolled as the mom or anything either lol I dont know

--- End quote ---

I was given the matchbox cars & gi joe <poo> & just gave it to my younger brother.  The only toys I had were my stuffed animals and I did play with my sisters My little ponies too.  I wasn't super 'girly' either.. but I certainly wasn't into the mac truck gi joe theme either.  I guess I was just me :)  I  did play a lot in the garden & the woods.

Eryn T:
Cool thread Sophia!

When I was younger, I played Legos with my older brother(who suffered from dysphoria, but died before transitioning) and we used one of my dad's cameras to make stop-motion films, and then did voice-overs. He always did the girl voices, cause I couldn't.

I also had a Stretch Armstrong, and apparently those are STILL a thing lol

Shambles:
I dont fit into the sterotype or wanting to play with girls toys, i did play alot with building stuff like micano (spelt wrong) and lego. Made a brill camra from lego once lol

Amaki:
Yeah I never really got to play much with my sisters dolls (barbies and what not) we had a dog that loved the heads of barbies lol. But I did sleep with stuffed animals (well two) until I was about 14 or so that was when my parents adopted (it gets confusing but he was always family just my grandparents who where raising him passed and so) my step-brother, and with no other place to sleep I got a roommate from that point forward. I know around this time I more or less played video games 24/7 and where I still took time out for the old toys they kind of went to the wayside more or less. Yeah i think it was a good question too lol lets see if we can get others to look,

This question is for everyone on this board the whole LGBTQI+ community we have. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version