Author Topic: Transgender and psychological abuse  (Read 180 times)

Offline anastasialea

• Friend
Transgender and psychological abuse
« on: June 16, 2018, 03:11:20 pm »
from my own experiences

Obviously members of the LGBTQ community are one of the most vulnerable when it comes to direct and indirect forms of discrimination. There are people that have developed sophisticated methods of psychological and physical abuse that amounts to LGBTQ erasure across certain parts of the UK...

This is a post to draw attention to being transgendered, and the experience of gaslighting, a technique used to target individuals into questioning what they know to be true or sane.

It's usually incredibly difficult to put into words how gaslighting can work without knowledge of how the mind works, or how the abuse of asymmetries in information can be manipulated into forms of intimidation, or how various technologies can facilitate it by allowing individuals to occupy multiple bodies, online spaces, appliances, or societal constructs such as trains, buildings, clocks etc.

However, if you feel consistent psychological abuse in the form of pointless but directed conversation, colours, objects, focal points on and offline, or anything that I have tried to describe above, you are not alone. They are techniques developed for the sole purpose of isolation, and I really hope it improves for you and your community.

anastasia x

Offline Dani

• On the beach
Re: Transgender and psychological abuse
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 05:46:42 am »
In my own experience, physical and mental abuse is not uncommon for a number of reasons or no reason at all. Here in the US we call this "bullying". The consequences of "bullying" may be severe and on occasion, may result in death, either by suicide of the victim or by lashing out at the abuser.

Recently, there are many reports in the media about physical and mental abuse. I am happy to see that all reports of abuse are presented as not being an acceptable thing to do. This is just another form of offensive behavior. It needs to stop.

Offline HappyMoni

• Smiles for the house, it's on me!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 06:23:35 am »
Thank you for putting a word to what I see happening in the US. Our government is presently involved in gaslighting to an extreme degree. An example would be saying over and over that trans people using the appropriate bathrooms would open the door to predators preying on little girls. For those who don't know trans people, they start to think maybe it's true. For trans people just starting out, it makes them question if they really belong in the bathroom they feel is right for them. Another word is mass manipulation. They mass market the idea, and when people refuse to stand up and call them on it, it is doubly infuriating and dangerous. I tell you, I am really getting my fill of the lies. More and more I find that blending in, a goal that I have always wanted, may have to take a back seat to being openly, loudly advocating for trans people/issues.
Monica
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner- in Baltimore)

]

Offline anastasialea

• Friend
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 03:09:55 pm »
Thank you for putting a word to what I see happening in the US. Our government is presently involved in gaslighting to an extreme degree. An example would be saying over and over that trans people using the appropriate bathrooms would open the door to predators preying on little girls. For those who don't know trans people, they start to think maybe it's true. For trans people just starting out, it makes them question if they really belong in the bathroom they feel is right for them. Another word is mass manipulation. They mass market the idea, and when people refuse to stand up and call them on it, it is doubly infuriating and dangerous. I tell you, I am really getting my fill of the lies. More and more I find that blending in, a goal that I have always wanted, may have to take a back seat to being openly, loudly advocating for trans people/issues.
Monica

I follow the news less and less, however, from my experience in the UK there hasn't been the concerted effort to marginalise the trans community by using the public bathroom debate as there has across America, North Carolina's HB being the worst from what I've read.

With that said, I have experienced indirect threats in the form of "MJ" or "OJ" focal points, on number plates etc. which amount to the same notion of being framed or put in jail, for paedophilia or another heinous crime respectively, purely for being transgender.