Author Topic: Resources explaining transgender  (Read 276 times)

Offline Jayne01

• Family
Resources explaining transgender
« on: June 18, 2018, 03:03:58 am »
I am hoping to come out to my parents in the near future. My father likes to research things that he doesn’t understand, so I thought I would provide him with a list of links to various documents/studies written by scientists or doctors for him to study about being transgender and how modern medicine currently understands the reasons why some people are born transgender.

I did a few searches and came up with countless links to various forums, including this one and a few links from various medical organisations. Does anyone know of any good resources to help a man in his mid 70’s with a mechanically oriented brain understand what being transgender means?

Hugs,
Jayne

Offline Ryuichi13

• Work In Progress!
  • Family
  • T, Tea or Tee? (^_~)
Re: Resources explaining transgender
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 03:53:03 am »
I have a few articles, hopefully they will help...and hopefully I did the coding properly.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-there-something-unique-about-the-transgender-brain/

http://www.tgmeds.org.uk/a-sex-difference-in-the-human-brain-and-its-relation-to-transsexuality.html#.WBJy43TD_qA

Even though this article is about transwomen, it can also be applied to transmen.  Its written in an easy-to-understand way. 

https://everydayfeminism.com/2014/04/trans-women-not-drag-queens/

There is also a video series that explains what transgender is.  It might be useful in explaining it to the rest of your family.

I think I have more info, but this is a good start.

Hope this helps!

Ryuichi

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline Jayne01

• Family
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 04:44:59 am »
I have a few articles, hopefully they will help...and hopefully I did the coding properly.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-there-something-unique-about-the-transgender-brain/

http://www.tgmeds.org.uk/a-sex-difference-in-the-human-brain-and-its-relation-to-transsexuality.html#.WBJy43TD_qA

Even though this article is about transwomen, it can also be applied to transmen.  Its written in an easy-to-understand way. 

https://everydayfeminism.com/2014/04/trans-women-not-drag-queens/

There is also a video series that explains what transgender is.  It might be useful in explaining it to the rest of your family.

I think I have more info, but this is a good start.

Hope this helps!

Ryuichi

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Hi Ryuichi,
Thank you for those links. I will check them out and add them to the list.

Jayne

Offline annaleaver

• Friend
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 06:15:07 am »
Judith Butler writes a lot on transgender issues
Deed poll 17/10/2017
Passport 09/02/2018
Drivers License 07/03/2018
Electrolysis 03/07/2018

Online Kirsteneklund7

• Friend
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 09:00:04 pm »
Hi Jayne,
 Kirsten here. I found Dr Anne Vitale's " The Gendered Self" Ideal for people that think in the analytical way. It is evidence based and I'm sure you will relate to the content.
 Kind regards, Kirsten.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Online Kirsteneklund7

• Friend
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 09:08:18 pm »
PS. I reckon hard copy is best.
Kirsten

Offline pamelatransuk

• Finally taking action after decades of suppression
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 05:54:46 am »
Hello Jayne

Just in case you haven't already seen it, you may wish to see Bari Jo's thread here on this Board also updated yesterday "Evidence Supporting Biological Nature of Gender Identity"

Good luck with your dad.

Hugs

Pamela

Online Kirsteneklund7

• Friend
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 06:41:26 am »
Hi Pamela,
 I just had a little read - very interesting! Going to download pdf off the web and have a good read!

Offline Jayne01

• Family
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 07:18:20 am »
Hi Kirsten and Pamela,

Thank you both for your replies. Since starting this particular thread, I have come out to my whole family. It went very well, far exceeding all my hopes and expectations, especially my parents who I thought would struggle understanding the concept of someone being transgender. I wrote about it in my personal thread starting here, where I talked about telling my sister:
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php?topic=230367.msg2148250#msg2148250

Reply post #1071 is where I came out to my parents. In all my excitement, I had forgotten about this thread until today.

Maybe this thread can continue to grow with more replies should anyone wish to post more links to resources. It may become a useful thread for future readers. If anyone has any comments or questions about my transition journey, please post in my personal thread at the above link. I would like to try and limit this thread to discussion about resources explaining transgender to help our families and friends understand what it means to be transgender (whether the resources be websites, tv programs, books, etc).

Hugs,
Jayne

Online Kirsteneklund7

• Friend
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 12:05:44 am »
Hi Jayne,
Just read the coming out post you recommend. I just wanted to send very belated CONGRATULATIONS ! That took guts. What a great family you have. I'm so glad it worked out.
 Best regards, Kirsten.

Offline Jayne01

• Family
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 12:27:24 am »
Hi Jayne,
Just read the coming out post you recommend. I just wanted to send very belated CONGRATULATIONS ! That took guts. What a great family you have. I'm so glad it worked out.
 Best regards, Kirsten.

Thank you Kirsten. I am very lucky to have the family I do.

Hugs,
Jayne

Tags: judith butler