Author Topic: Hysterectomy, seeking reassurance and experiences  (Read 676 times)

Offline F_P_M

• Family
Hysterectomy, seeking reassurance and experiences
« on: September 23, 2019, 12:14:37 pm »
those who've had hysterectomies without losing their ovaries, how'd you find it afterwards? Any side effects? Any complications?
How was recovery? Did it improve any issues you were having? Did it bring up new ones?

How is sex after?

Just.. some experience would be really nice here. I'm kinda freaking out about potential complications.

Offline Linde

• Full time for some time
Re: Hysterectomy, seeking reassurance and experiences
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 01:02:25 pm »
I was lucky and did not get any uterus into my otherwise very weird body (if you need a spare ovary, you could have mine).  However, I have several friends who had one.
They did not complain about any major problems, except of the typical surgical pains, which are rather short lived.
We did not specifically talk about their sex life, but once they were healed out, nobody complained about that either.

Offline F_P_M

• Family
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 02:19:01 pm »
see my aunt suffered a bladder injury which then became catstrophically worse thanks to how they repaired it. At one point she said she had urine leaking into her BLOODSTREAM, like AIIEEEEE

This was a long time ago sure, I know they're improved a lot, but stuff like that still freaks me the hell out.

Offline Dena

• Family
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 05:53:38 pm »
I know very little about that type of procedure because it hasn't been discussed much in the FTM area but modern surgical procedures are now done through a few small holes reducing greatly the amount of damage for surgical access. The only question you really need to ask would be "Is the procedure done using current surgical procedures and tools?"

Rebirth Date 1982 - My Transition

Offline Linde

• Full time for some time
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 06:46:01 pm »
I know very little about that type of procedure because it hasn't been discussed much in the FTM area but modern surgical procedures are now done through a few small holes reducing greatly the amount of damage for surgical access. The only question you really need to ask would be "Is the procedure done using current surgical procedures and tools?"
This is called minimal invasive surgery, and is done with scopes.  They do even entire hip replacement with minimal invasive surgery these days.  Taking a uterus out is nothing!
And F_P_M, are you sure that your aunt was treated by human surgeons and not by butchers?

Offline AngelaJade

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 10:54:08 pm »
I can talk of the experience of my best friend. She's not transitioning though, so I can't speak about that element.

She's 50 and had issues with her uterus, which eventually became best solved by removal. She was lucky and was able to retain her ovaries in the process.

It took her a good 6-weeks to recover and get back to normal life, although exercise took a bit longer as they made an incision (similar to but shorter than a Cesarean cut).

Her sex life, is in her words 'totally amazing'. She was worried about becoming dry, but the opposite has happened.

For her, it was the best thing she has done. Still thanks me many years later for helping her through it all.

Angela.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 06:09:16 am by LizK »

Nov 2017 - Diagnosed with GD
Jan 2018 - Commenced HRT (e-patches & CPA)
Dec 2018 - Legally changed name & Gender
Mar 2019 - Openly living as a woman.
Nov 2020 - GCS (PPV with Dr Kieran Hart, Canberra)

Offline Ryuichi13

• Rhee-yoo-ee-chee (say it fast!)
  • Family
  • Tee, Tea or T? (^_~)
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 02:32:00 am »
This is called minimal invasive surgery, and is done with scopes.  They do even entire hip replacement with minimal invasive surgery these days.  Taking a uterus out is nothing!
And F_P_M, are you sure that your aunt was treated by human surgeons and not by butchers?

I have to admit, I was wondering about the "butchers" myself.  ugh.  Your poor aunt.  I hope she's okay now.

Like I mentioned before, my (non-transitioning) partner had everything taken out and only has a few small scars to show for it.  His sex drive is nearly as bad as mine, and I'm on T!

My bilateral hip replacement surgery was pretty minimal as well.  I had what's called "anterior replacement," which meant I was up and walking the same day once I got out of recovery, and the only pain I had was surgical pain, which was taken care of with pain meds.  Physical therapy was done at home at first, and now I go to outpatient PT.  The idea of "being at home to heal faster" really works when you're sleeping in your own bed and nurses and PT comes to your house.  Chances are, a nurse would visit you in your home to change your bandages...if that's even needed.

Minimally invasive surgery is done with the idea of "patients heal faster the sooner they can get up and walk, and the sooner they're home, the better for them mentally and emotionally."  Chances are, you'll be home the same day so you can heal in a familiar environment.  And, I bet once the idea that you'll no longer be in pain will greatly improve your mental state, your physical activities, and your sex life!

You can do this!

Ryuichi
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Offline Canamwolf

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 07:11:11 pm »
Don’t know if this is too late or not.

I had a partial hysterectomy early 90’s. It was the full incision kind. It didn’t change sex in anyway. I felt better because I no longer had horrible periods. Had the ovaries out early this year. That was done laparoscopically. Again no change in sex.

All that said - everyone reacts differently. I hope all goes well or is going well for you.

Offline MeTony

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 08:33:26 pm »
I still have my ovaries. When I was 30 I had a hysterectomy but left the ovaries. I did not want to take Estrogen pills. I did not want anything to do with female hormone pills.

The doctor doing the procedure did not know I’m FTM. Nobody but me did. It was a chaotic time.

They went through the baby hole to pick it out. Everything but the ovaries. No visible scars. I still have no regrets. This was done more than 10 years ago.

Tony

Tags: