General Discussions > General discussions

The Aviation Thread

(1/66) > >>

KathyLauren:
There seem to be quite a few aviators and aviatrices (plural of aviatrix) on the forum.  So I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we can introduce ourselves and talk about flying stuff.  It is open to anyone involved in flying, whether professional or private, military or civilian, flight crew, cabin crew or ground crew.  "War stories" encouraged.

I'll start.  I joined the RCAF (At the time, it was technically Air Command of the Canadian Armed Forces) in 1973 while I was in university.  I graduated with my wings in 1977, trained as an instructor, and flew the Tutor jet as an instructor from 1978 to 1982.  I quit then due to an internal moral conflict about being a soldier. 

But, damn, it was fun flying!  I got to do every kind of flying you can imagine: VFR nav, low-level nav, IFR, cross-country, formation, aerobatics.  And I loved the teaching. 

One regret I have was that, when I got out, I didn't go into some kind of civilian teaching.  I tried to get a flying job when I got out, but there were unemployed pilots sweeping out hangar floors at the time.  So I went with plan B and got into IT.  I kept up a private license for a while, but it was expensive.  All I did was fly circuits enough that the flying club would rent me another plane three months later.  Bo-o-o-oring!  When I got checked out at the flying club, the instructor scolded me for doing my turns in the traffic pattern at 45 degrees of bank.  He thought that was "steep".  We used to do them at 60 degrees and 2Gs.

So I don't fly any more.  But I love to talk about it.

What about you all?

@Donica, @Steph2.0, @Jayne01, @Alaskan Danielle

HappyMoni:
It's about time this thread took off. From the looks of it, its a good place to get high. My mood is elevated already. I suspect there is plenty of plane talk ahead.  Don't mind me, I just flew in from New York and girl are my arms tired. (Can you tell that I didn't want to be left out but know nothing about planes?) So buckle your seat belts, its gonna be a bumpy ride. Oh well Kathy, I tried. It's time I folded up my flaps and went home.
Moni

KathyLauren:

--- Quote from: HappyMoni on August 08, 2018, 08:28:28 pm ---It's about time this thread took off. From the looks of it, its a good place to get high. My mood is elevated already. I suspect there is plenty of plane talk ahead.  Don't mind me, I just flew in from New York and girl are my arms tired. (Can you tell that I didn't want to be left out but know nothing about planes?) So buckle your seat belts, its gonna be a bumpy ride. Oh well Kathy, I tried. It's time I folded up my flaps and went home.
Moni

--- End quote ---
Hey, Moni, this would be a great place for passenger tales, too!

Northern Star Girl:

--- Quote from: KathyLauren on August 08, 2018, 08:34:53 pm ---Hey, Moni, this would be a great place for passenger tales, too!

--- End quote ---

@KathyLauren 
@Steph2.0
@HappyMoni
@Jayne01
@Donica
       ... and other aviation enthusiasts

I am definitely not an aviator/pilot but I will be checking in on this thread very often
as anything aviation has always piqued my interest.

Thank you so very much Kathy for starting this thread.

Hugs,
Danielle

Jayne01:
Hi Kathy,

Thank you for starting this thread. It has prompted me to dig out my log book. Wow, my first flying lesson was April 22 1997. The last time I flew was November 17 2004. During that time I only managed to accumulate 84.3 hours, but I did get my single engine private pilot licence and a constant speed prop endorsement in that time. Life got in the way and it became too expensive to keep flying for any meaningful length of time. Like you, I would do some circuits just to keep up my currency. Boring indeed! I would love to start flying again, I really miss it.

I do get to keep myself close to planes with my job though. As many of you already know, I maintain aircraft for a large airline. After doing this job for over 25 years, I still look towards the runway in wonder as I watch fully laden A380s taking to the sky weighing in at around 600,000 kg. It’s a pretty cool sight to see.

I’m looking forward to seeing how this thread evolves.

Hugs,
Jayne

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version