General Discussions > General discussions

The Aviation Thread

<< < (2/66) > >>

KatieP:
Wooooo Hoooooo!!!

I have loved flying and therefore airplanes for longer than I have actual memories. I wanted to fly since about 5 minutes after I knew I was a girl, which is a VERY long time ago.

I ALWAYS wanted to fly my own airplane. When I was in college, I told myself, "When I get out of college I will learn how to fly." I got out of college and decided I couldn't afford it. I told myself, "If I ever make $20,000, I will learn to fly." $20,00 came and went. I told myself, "If I ever make $30,000, I will learn to fly." It didn't take me long to realize I would never learn to fly. So, in 1991, I started taking lessons. In 1992, with a whole 48 hours of experience, the FAA told me I was legal to fly myself and other people. THEY were out of their minds!

I then decided I need to keep learning, and got my Instrument Rating, and later my Commercial license. (This was fun because I could then fly the "Dog fight" type flights for a local company.) There weren't many more training options, so I worked to get my CFI, which I have kept for the past 20 years, in spite of 9-11 putting a huge crimp in the flight instruction business.

I have owned several airplanes, the latest of which was a 1967 Beech V35-TC. It was an amazing plane. Towards the end of ownership of that plane, I realized I was not flying much, and the plane was rotting. I sold it for about half of the market value to a guy in TX who really, really wanted the plane but could not nearly afford it. He still owns it, according to the FAA.

I am currently a member of a local flying club, but even so, I travel for work so much that I almost never get to fly myself, in spite of it being pretty much a life-long passion.

I have noticed MANY people on this forum mentioning aviation. It seems to me there is a correlation between being Trans and being a pilot. VERY interesting!!

Anyway, thanks for starting this thread!!! The two most interesting things in my entire life, and they are both in the same thread. Just a bit of heaven...

Katie

Kirsteneklund7:
Hi Kathy & Jayne & Danielle,
 I don't tell many people this but I am a closet aerosexual! My day job is maintaining a fleet of Beech 200s & Beech 400s for an aeromedical outfit. I also maintained a private pilot's licence in the 80s & 90s flying mighty Cessna 150s&152s!  Nice to hear fellow aviators out there. I also love working alongside nurses, paramedics and doctors.
 Nice posts by the way.
 Kirsten X.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rakel:

--- Quote from: KatieP on August 08, 2018, 11:20:52 pm ---I have noticed MANY people on this forum mentioning aviation. It seems to me there is a correlation between being Trans and being a pilot. VERY interesting!!

--- End quote ---

Another pilot here!

I think there are many more people interested in flying than are actually flying their own aircraft.
Flying is expensive and transition is expensive. Very few people can do both at the same time.

Chloe:

--- Quote from: KatieP on August 08, 2018, 11:20:52 pm --- correlation between being Trans and being a pilot. VERY interesting!!
--- End quote ---

Been a while since flying SIM but see Squawkbox and VatSim are still operational! Combine them with MS Flight Simulator and it's about as real as it gets! "Enya" copyright trolls at Youtube musta missed this one -> 'youtu.be/3nClYU7ksvw' (PanAm VA is now history, off-line)  Father's best pilot friend in the late 60's was a transexual during a time when women weren't allowed to fly so "validation" for her came in the form of "your fired"!

Those early stories were my first experience with "trans". Dad was an instructor too so as an early teen first (and only) real AC I learned to start, taxi and takeoff in was a PA707 @ JFK's cargo building in New York . . . now only a very sad memory indeed!

Donica:
OMG you guys! We have to get together over coffee and hanger talk! I started flying back in the late 80's and flew into the late 90's. I started in a Cessna 152 and then checked out in a 172 and Piper Archer. Good old Piper 43056. I held a VFR rating and missed the chance for an IFR rating. I missed out on getting a high performance rating too. Just SEL with only 426 hours. I couldn't justify the expense of flying while raising two Kids. So I gave up my wings but, I still fly CR (Radio Control). You can never keep a pilot down. One way or another, we are going to find a way to keep flying.

Oh yes, they really don't like 45, 60 and especiallt not 90 degree bank turns in the traffic pattern ;).

Hugs!
Donica.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version