Author Topic: Why are the pockets on women’s pants often so shallow?  (Read 8280 times)

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
Re: Why are the pockets on women’s pants often so shallow?
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2020, 11:21:03 am »
Christian Dior stated in 1954, “Men have pockets to keep things in, women for decoration”.

That said, I don't actually want my pockets bulging with stuff and much prefer a clutch.. I do have skirts with larger pockets either hidden in the sides or as a feature up-front.. and a phone fits snugly into the back pocket of a pair of jeans.. just don't sit down!...  So I guess, if it is important to you, buy your clothes to reflect that need.. then as more women buy clothes with larger pockets so manufacturers will make them.. Maybe that is the issue.. and a lot of women are used to not having that in their fashion and so do not seek it out?

Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2020, 01:03:10 pm »
I'll re-iterate my view that women's pants don't have pockets because most women in fact prefer to carry a bag anyway. I myself do not agree with this viewpoint, but most of the women I know really are attached to having a bag with which to carry around stuff.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2020, 02:19:03 pm »
I am still wondering whether this is useful.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2020, 04:07:28 pm »
I need to carry a small cross body bag more often.

Marion

Offline Froodah

« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2020, 02:15:26 am »

barbie~~

What is your obsession with being so tall! Where does it come from? Do you associate it with being glamorous?

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2020, 01:05:31 pm »
What is your obsession with being so tall! Where does it come from? Do you associate it with being glamorous?

I am always obsessed with my waist. I do not care about my height. The beauty of a man or a woman is mostly determined by a slim waist, IMO.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2020, 03:27:42 pm »
Barbie,

True, for physical appearance, the waist has something to do with good looks.   :)

For a beauty as a person, who you are in terms of your character, for any gender or sex is key.

Chrissy

Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2020, 03:34:22 pm »
I have come to a similar conclusion.  I've been carefully gaining weight as long as it doesn't significantly increase my waistline.

Marion

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2021, 06:13:33 am »
Having pockets that are usable is a nice option.
Purses though help significantly with the lack of pocket space.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2021, 04:19:03 pm »
As mentioned by many others on this thread, deep usable pockets on women's clothing seems to be a rarity.
Most MTF transitioners have had to adapt to not having enough usable pockets to put stuff in....
... handbags, clutches, small waist bags, etc seem to be our best solution.

Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 42

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2021, 04:24:55 pm »
As mentioned by many others on this thread, deep usable pockets on women's clothing seems to be a rarity.
Most MTF transitioners have had to adapt to not having enough usable pockets to put stuff in....
... handbags, clutches, small waist bags, etc seem to be our best solution.

Danielle

@Northern Star Girl

Danielle,

Some jeans seem to have deep back pockets.
Good for telephones, except if my rear gets shapelier I may not want to use them!

Have you noticed that some telephones have been getting taller?

Yay for small crossbody handbags!

Chrissy

Offline Anastasia

• Friend
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2021, 06:26:53 pm »
The lack of pocket space is annoying. But having a purse or bag is very useful. By the time I have loaded everything into my pockets, I sometimes wish it was acceptable fir a man to use a purse. Sitting on my wallet has given me a small amount of numbness in my leg at times. When I'm out as Anna, it is really nice to be able to throw everything in my purse and not have to worry about what's in which pocket. Too bad men's and women's fashion can't blend the good from each and put useful pockets in womens clothes and allow men to use a purse.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2021, 07:53:14 pm »

barbie~~

Well, barbie,

If you lived in Texas, you could always carry a six gun there.

Howdy Partner !  ;)  ;D

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
Why are the pockets on women’s pants often so shallow?
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2021, 08:02:14 pm »
Do you like dresses that have pockets?

I saw some recently but I was not keen on buying them online if I never tried that fashion line’s clothing.
If they tend to fit then I do not mind ordering online.  I know that online returns are easier than ever but if I have a choice I would try them on at the store, and if the changing rooms are closed for COVID, I can try clothes on at home and return locally if need be.  If they fit, additional purchases made from the online Web sites of those local retailers just saves me time.

I really like using my purses but clothing pockets do have an appeal.

Chrissy

Offline BioWoman

« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2021, 02:43:49 pm »
I never thought about this. It doesnt bother me. *shrugs I guess I am used to it since Ive been wearing girls/women clothes all of my life.
All natural woman but here to lend support. Any questions? Just ask. :-*

Offline Wendi

« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2021, 11:41:27 am »
I think that fashion plays a role in it but also because many women carry a purse which will hold the things that males put in their pockets.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Started HRT 1/3/2019

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
Why are the pockets on women’s pants often so shallow?
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2021, 08:21:28 pm »
A lot of the newer big cellular telephones are too tall now to fit in most pockets, except for perhaps cargo pants or bob overalls, so I guess it does not matter that much.  It is nice to be able to put the telephone in a pocket.

Chrissy

Offline Lady Sarah

• Yes, it's another Sarah
  • Family
  • I love my hubby
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2021, 04:49:45 pm »
You could always go out and purchase scrub pants like hospital staff wear. They will look more feminine than military style cargo pants, and still have deep cargo pockets, just without flaps. They are also more lightweight, and breathe easier in the heat than cargo pants.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016

I don't have wrinkles. I have wise cracks.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2021, 08:33:59 pm »
You could always go out and purchase scrub pants like hospital staff wear. They will look more feminine than military style cargo pants, and still have deep cargo pockets, just without flaps. They are also more lightweight, and breathe easier in the heat than cargo pants.

Okay, good thoughts, thank you.   :)

Chrissy

Tags: