Author Topic: Spelunking  (Read 901 times)

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Spelunking
« on: December 07, 2018, 03:43:14 pm »
Any cave crawlers here?
Veteran, US Army

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
Re: Spelunking
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 03:44:35 pm »
< breaking out in a cold sweat> I'd rather be jabbed multiple times in the genitals with electric needles... Oh wait...

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

"Life is a travelling to the edge of knowledge, then a leap taken." - D. H. Lawrence

Offline Jessica

• I love you. No...... I might not know you, but if folk can hate for no good reason, I can love.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 03:50:41 pm »
There are a few cave systems in California.  One of them there are tours you can book that take you floating through underground lakes and into the deep.  The test you must pass is to be put in a tight crawl space called “The Womb”.  If you freak before the time runs out, you aren’t allowed to proceed.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 03:53:54 pm »

The test you must pass is to be put in a tight crawl space called “The Womb”.

I haven't got one, and it's been more than forty years since I escaped the last one,  count me out!

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

"Life is a travelling to the edge of knowledge, then a leap taken." - D. H. Lawrence

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 03:56:36 pm »
I went to Carlsbad Caverns, but took the elevator down and up.
Veteran, US Army

Offline Liina

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 08:37:52 pm »
Spelunking, hmmm, I have been in a few caves with involved lowers, rope work and used ascenders to get back out, however that has been quite a few years now. Certainly a few I would like to check out some time. Recently there was anew cave discovered in BC that promises to be a large cave system, it was just announced that it is closed to public caving with fines if caught. Look forward seeing more about though.

Offline KathyLauren

• Casting off dull certainty
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 09:58:18 am »
Back when I was a teenager, there was a cave in the Rockies (Bragg Creek Ice Caves) that I explored with my school friends. 

After climbing up a 1000' scree slope that deters casual tourists, the first cavern is huge, and many people check it out.  There is an ice flow on the floor that retreats a bit in summer, but is always there towards the back, a couple of hundred feet in.  There is daylight all the way to the back of the first cavern.

The access to the second cavern is a tunnel that starts at chest height on a wall at the back of the first cavern, and that you have to crawl on elbows and toes.  Depending on the ice, some years it is not accessible at all.  The tunnel is, I think, about 50 feet long.  The second cavern is a palace of ice crystals on the walls.  There is no light except from your flashlights. 

Few people make it to the third cavern, which is accessed by a 30' corkscrew vertical tunnel from the second cavern.  THe cavern's floor is a slab tilted at about a 30 degree angle.

The temperature in the cave is a uniform 0C (32F) all year.  There is a wind that blows constantly from the third cavern, through the passages, and out the main entrance.

Like I said, we were kids, young and foolish.  We were at least sensible enough to bring spare flashlights.  I doubt if I would do the same kind of expedition today!

https://braggcreek.ca/kananaskis/icecave/
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly, beginning full-time; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2019-10-18 Phone consultation for GRS; 2020-03-11 GRS!; 2020-09-30 New birth certificate

Offline Paul Muad-Dib

• Family
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 11:18:01 pm »
Did some in my uni days back in 1999, wish I'd done more. I have never been more filthy in my life. It was great.

Offline Speleokitty

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 05:33:18 am »
I've been involved in the exploration of caves and cave rescue for most of my life.

Offline Allie Jayne

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 06:14:03 am »
I scuba dived lots of sea caves, one of my favourite locations are granite islands off the southernmost tip of the Australian Mainland. Over the millennia, the granite walls of the island split into boulders and slabs over 100 feet across, and fall into the sea, stacking on top of each other to form a labyrinth of passages. schools of fish hang around the entrances and sometimes seals join us while we are exploring. The best part is we rarely lose all light and it's easy to find our way out. It can be a bit unnerving if there is swell and the mammoth boulders creak and bang above us. How much would a 150 foot diameter granite boulder weigh?

Allie

Offline Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 06:19:05 am »
I scuba dived lots of sea caves, one of my favourite locations are granite islands off the southernmost tip of the Australian Mainland. Over the millennia, the granite walls of the island split into boulders and slabs over 100 feet across, and fall into the sea, stacking on top of each other to form a labyrinth of passages. schools of fish hang around the entrances and sometimes seals join us while we are exploring. The best part is we rarely lose all light and it's easy to find our way out. It can be a bit unnerving if there is swell and the mammoth boulders creak and bang above us. How much would a 150 foot diameter granite boulder weigh?

Allie

More than enough?  :laugh:
Veteran, US Army

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2020, 07:05:29 am »
Another scuba diver here.

Call me chicken or whatever, but I will not go into a cave underwater unless I can see the exit before I enter. The same goes for wreck diving. Cluck, cluck or  whatever sounds chickens make. That's me.

And now, back to Devlyn' question.

I have been to Mammoth Caves National Park in Kentucky. The caves are well light and safe. The walkways are clean, at least in the caves I went to. This is all the spelunking I want to do.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Paul Muad-Dib

• Family
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 06:45:22 pm »
I was made aware of a caving and mine exploration group in my area. There are a lot of abandoned mines down here. I might give it a go, once I begin to feel fitter.

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 09:50:32 pm »
Like Liina, I've done some rope work in caves. I've climbed a waterfall and slept in them and waded water up to my neck, but such activities aren't for someone old and creaky. Even when I was young, it was brutal. I remember coming home from one over-nighter in January, exiting wet, crossing a freezing stream at night, and then going home in an unheated van. Only for the young!

Offline DawnOday

• Links Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2020, 12:35:16 pm »
The only cave I have been in is Timber Mountain at Knott's Berry Farm.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

Offline Maddie

• Family
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2020, 02:31:42 pm »
I've been involved in the exploration of caves and cave rescue for most of my life.
I would be interested to read more from you about it.
No experience myself.  Curious.

Offline madeleine

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2020, 07:05:27 pm »
Did some in my uni days back in 1999, wish I'd done more. I have never been more filthy in my life. It was great.

I've only done "real" caving, where you get filthy, once, in my 20's and it was exciting.

I did a local "creek clean up last year.  I was really dirty, messy work.  I loved it!

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2020, 07:09:54 pm »
Spelunking can be a hole day adventure.

Chrissy

@Devlyn
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Liina

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 09:33:07 am »
Devlyn, Well I have been in a few, look at many and have an interest in exploring them but not as a regular sport interest. I was in one in Slovenia that had a mining cart rail system that took into the depths of the cave which was a lot of fun. In my Twenties I crawled around a 500' deep hole that was full on rappel, squeeze through adventure in wet mud and some water. Interesting to say the least. Recent discoveries in BC find a large cave that has gone unfounded due to coverup of snow over the years. I am sure there are many around to find. I have a couple I have found which make me curious but they also have reasonable sized creeks that run into them and they are remote. Maybe not...in the spring..

Liina

Any cave crawlers here?

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2020, 10:25:05 am »
Any cave crawlers here?

Caves rock.

Chrissy

@Devlyn
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Tags: