Author Topic: If there were a pill available to remove dysphoria would you take it?  (Read 3798 times)

Offline Janes Groove

• Jane's Groove
Re: If there were a pill available to remove dysphoria would you take it?
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2019, 09:19:20 pm »
I'm glad things are getting better.

I predict you WILL change your mind.  I think you are going thru the 5 stages of grief.  Eventually you will get to acceptance.  A world of light and many good things await you.  It's all a gift.

Offline Tribble

• Friend
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2019, 11:58:03 pm »
I'm glad things are getting better.

I predict you WILL change your mind.  I think you are going thru the 5 stages of grief.  Eventually you will get to acceptance.  A world of light and many good things await you.  It's all a gift.

With the support of the people around me now, I suspect you may just be right. :)

I have a good feeling my cycle of transitioning and detransitioning is coming to an end.
2003-2004 -- Gradual transition -- I didn't correct pronouns and people basically settled on the right ones on their own.
late 2004 -- Orchiectomy.
Late 2015 -- Stupidly saw the political climate and spurned on by my husband's request for a divorce I detransitioned.
2019 -- Rebuilding my wardrobe so I can retransition.  Turns out I cain't bury my true self, after all.  I call these last few years my failed experiment.  At least I found my true feelings were real.

Offline NancyBalik

YES. — My gender dysphoria has been the biggest struggle in my marriage. Unfortunately, I know that my partner’s love for me is qualified with “except for ....” On bad days my love for myself is qualified with the same exception. Life would be simpler if I was satisfied being a man rather than feeling this constant longing to be someone else. Nancy

Ricki Wright

Nope. Keep your red and blue pills.

Since I got reunited with myself, I am whole, I am happier, and I am a much better person as a trans women than I EVER hoped to be as a person trying to be cis male. Read my story below for the full version. I have been told it was funny and heartbreaking at the same time.

Do I have days with doubts? Rarely, but they happen sometimes. Thank goodness for therapists! She reminded me that trans Trenders do not have the feelings I do week over week, and rarely do HRT for longer than a few weeks, or multiple sessions with an electrologist.

I like the whole me more than the offer to be a completely ignorant old me. Eventually I will rearrange parts I have into the parts I want and grow the rest. In 30 years passing won't be a thing because old people of both sexes are all just a pile of wrinkles laughing at what young people think is important.

Side note: check youtube for the 99 year old transgender war veteran if you have not seen it. There is a woman who took one for the team and still managed to live the rest of her life as herself. We all should be so lucky.

-----------------------------Line in Sand----------------------------------

Hugs!

Ricki

Offline Zephyrion

• Visitor
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2019, 02:46:44 pm »
Generally speaking, no. I wouldn't have to deal with transphobia anymore and I would be far more accepted in society, but that would erase a huge chunk of my identity. The confidence I gathered from transitioning is unbelievable. I still have low confidence, but it's a huge improvement from what I was before. I feel like I can actually be myself without forcing myself in cisnormativity. I can be the guy I was meant to be and not the girl everyone wants me to be.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2019, 03:12:46 pm »
No.  Excluding prescribed estrogen mtf HRT medicine of course.  :)

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Ricki Wright

« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2019, 03:59:39 am »
Wait. What? A pill that would make me a CIS girl and make my gender dysphoria disappear forever?!?!?!

SIGN ME UP!!! I'LL TAKE 2 PLEASE! I know a girl who wants one as well!

Hugs!

Ricki

Offline PurpleWolf

• Family
  • Genderfluid? Male in a female body
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2019, 04:44:40 am »
Interesting question!

Before I would have absolutely said NO. I felt being masculine (and a trans guy) was inherently 'me' and what made myself myself. Just the slightest hint at the direction that I could be something else (happy being a girl, more fem, etc.) caused me anger and dysphoria. Makes a lot of sense bcos a lot of my dysphoria WAS caused by people trying to convince me I'm something I am not.

Then, last fall, my dysphoria disappeared suddenly... with a new relationship. I realized I'm a butch woman: happy being in this female body (and not wanting to be or transition to male) but still the same person pretty much. Only the perception changed. So yeah I guess I found my magic pill then......
!!!REBIRTH=legal name change on Feb 16th 2018!!!
This is where life begins for me. It's a miracle I finally got it done.

The past is overrated - why stick with it when you are able to recreate yourself every day

2018/2019 After 17 years of thinking of myself as a guy started detransitioning and now dating another detrans lesbian (septagonscars)

2020 After serious soul-searching I might be more transmasculine & genderfluid instead of ftm trans man

lonewolf

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2019, 02:05:51 pm »
i'd only take the pill if i could OD on it

Offline Angela H

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2019, 12:17:21 am »
I honestly don't know if I would take that pill at this point.

Before I started transitioning I would have said that I wouldn't take the pill because I saw the girl me as the "real" me that I'd be killing off so I could live up to what my family wanted me to be. I didn't want that. I wanted to be true to myself.

Then after I started transitioning I would have said hell no to the pill since I felt like I was making positive changes and I no longer needed anything like that to help with gender dysphoria. At the time I felt like I had found the "solution" and I was going to be just fine...

But now I'm not sure anymore. I no longer see that a guy version of myself wouldn't be the true me. And I undoubtedly would have a better life if I could have taken such a pill before I decided to transition (or better yet 25 years ago before everything in my life starting going to hell), but now after everything I've done to transition taking the pill would seem like a huge waste...

I guess I'd take the pill today if someone offered it to me. I'd probably need to detransition and get my breasts removed. Sheesh, that sounds awful.

Offline NatalieRene

• Family
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2019, 10:08:22 am »
To quote Kirk from star trek.

Quote from: Kirk
Damn it Bones, you're a doctor. You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with the wave of a magic wand. They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. If we lose them, we lose ourselves. [to Sybok] I don't want my pain taken away! I need my pain!

Offline WannaBgirl2

• Neighbor
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2019, 09:24:49 pm »
This is more a philosophical question than a reality-based one but I curious how other women here would answer. When I've talked to my therapist and others who are cisgender I've told them that if somehow a pill came out that would remove dysphoria and there would be no harmful side effects, I doubt I would take it.

While I haven't transitioned (and don't expect to) and my dysphoria continues to be a great cause of distress, I feel as if I would be "killing off" a part of myself that I love. I don't quite have the words to explain this, and with the words I do have it may sound as if I'm talking multiple personality disorder, but Becky is such a part of who I am that to see her disappear, even if it provided welcome relief from my anguish, is not something I would be ready to do.

Fortunately, my dysphoria has never reached a crisis state where I've seriously contemplated suicide, and if I had I suppose my answer would change.

Getting a little deep on a rainy afternoon in New Jersey.

Becky
I would take it in a heartbeat!!!! I think that once I found and accepted myself..... I would be able to embrace my femininity, confidently!!!! Sign me up for the test group please!!! LOL

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Offline WannaBgirl2

• Neighbor
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2019, 09:31:58 pm »
There is a pill, called estradiol.  I’ve been on it for two and a half years and my suicidal ideation has been gone ever since.

It’s not perfect but I think its AMAZING! Better than the antidepressants I was taking before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Shawnna, could you please let me know more about the side effects of the estradiol? Breasts, weight shift, mood swings, emotional stuff....how quickly things happened,  subtle or drastic.... I'm thinking if I can get my head cleared.... I can focus on who and what I am.... Thanks luv!!!!

Offline Dena

• Family
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2019, 10:24:27 pm »
Shawnna, could you please let me know more about the side effects of the estradiol? Breasts, weight shift, mood swings, emotional stuff....how quickly things happened,  subtle or drastic.... I'm thinking if I can get my head cleared.... I can focus on who and what I am.... Thanks luv!!!!

It seems that the testosterone blocker is responsible for most of the improvement. Estradiol does help and that's why most people tend to go low dosage at least at first. The following links might be helpful.
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,130268.0.html
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,207785.0.html
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,209589.0.html
Rebirth Date 1982 - My Transition