Author Topic: Laparoscopic peritoneal pull-through vaginoplasty- testimonials, anyone?  (Read 3052 times)

Offline josie76

• Family
  • Something beautiful emerges from a dark pool
Re: Laparoscopic peritoneal pull-through vaginoplasty- testimonials, anyone?
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2020, 09:34:07 am »
My update as well,

Dr. Gallagher did my PPV in Sept 2019. I was at IU Health University Hospital in Indianapolis, IN, USA.

For my procedure I had Dr. Koch the urology chair doing the laproscopic potion. They place 5 small incisions in my belly to insert a robotic surgical tool.

Dr. Gallgher di the disassembly of the penile tissue. This is much the same for most surgeons. She kept the frenulum area per my request to make the clitoris from. This stays connected to blood vessels and nerves. She uses a length of the urethra from the inside of the penis as the vestibule floor. Also fairly common practice. My labia are made mostly of penile skin.
Internally, Dr. Koch went to the bottom of the space behind the bladder. Opened a small incision through the peritoneal  lining from the inside. He also had to loosen the lining from the inner wall of the abdominal cavity. This then allows them to insert a hook tool and pull the peritoneum lining down to the opening created by the GCS surgeon for the vaginal introitus. The pull the peritoneum down forming a tube and stitch this to the vaginal opening. The laproscopic surgeon then closes the tube inside the body with a "purse stich" suture. This closes the vaginal cavity while leaving it completely attached to the rest of the peritoneum. This way there are no concerns about loss of blood supply to this tissue.
Over several months the inside lining of the vagina changes from the normal internal surface to an epthilized surface. It continues to secrete moisture but this reduces significantly. Other studies and biopsies of these type of surgeries has shown that the tissue becomes indistinguishable from natal vaginal lining tissue under a microscope.
This tissue self heals quickly so continual dialation was important at first. This limits how far down the tissue will seal closed and so maintains depth. Now I can dialate once a week and keep the depth just fine. girth never appeared to be an issue as the tissue stretches. The only area of issue there is the point where the peritoneal lining joins skin. The skin will try to contract if not kept stretched.
04/26/2018 bi-lateral orchiectomy
09/11/2019 PPV at IU Health (DaVinci robot laparoscopic Davydov with modified Chonburi Flap) w/ Dr. Gallagher, Dr. Koch, Dr. Roth assisting urology
03/02/2020 revision labiaplasty at IU Health w/ Dr. Gallagher

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence.
I for one want to live now, not just exist!

Offline Nozomi

• Neighbor
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2020, 06:49:54 pm »
I have considered starting new topics, but the information in this forum is valuable and I would like to shed some light on the treasures of Susan's Place.

PPV information forums are scattered around Susan's Place, so I summarized them in the table below to help find relevant surgical information.

Place         Dr. of plastic surgeon        Patient           Forum Title and reply #                                                       
Belgrade    Miroslav Đorđević             Anna994         Peritoneal vaginoplasty in Belgrade A)
IU             Sidhbh Gallagher              Josie76           #20 of this forum & Looking at peritoneal vaginoplasty with Dr. Gallagher
SF             Heidi Wittenberg              SadieBlake      #270 of GCS with Dr Wittenberg April 2017, thanks for y'alls help!    
NYU           Rachel Bluebond-Langner Maybebaby56  #19 of this forum B)
Mumbai      ? of PriyaMed                  cbraeburn        PPV Surgery with PriyaMED C)
IU              Joshua Ross                  Kara Lee          Recent perionteal vaginoplasty in Indianapolis, In

My comment   
A) It may be before the revision, but a breakthrough.
B) "Similar but not a Davydov from the start." in #144 of "Looking at peritoneal vaginoplasty with Dr. Gallagher",
C) cbraeburn, come back to Susan's forum!

According to # 15 of Looking at peritoneal vaginoplasty with Dr. Gallagher, Dr. Ting etc. were excluded from this table.
According to # 12 of this forum, Dr. Houtmeyers was excluded from this table.
It does not include future surgery schedules.
This table may be Incomplete. If you find any mistakes or omissions, please correct them.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 12:17:46 am by Nozomi »

Offline Kara Lee

• Friend
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2020, 08:03:13 pm »
Nozomi, Yes, I had my PPT surgery at Indiana University Health with Dr Joshua Roth.  Dr Gallagher is now in Florida setting up her practice down there and last I heard she is looking for a surgeon to do the robotic side of things in the abdomen. She is scheduling for PI and other surgeries. Dr Roth still has Dr Koch working with him on the robotic surgical system (davinci).

I have some postings on my surgery and recovery here https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,253996.0.html
I'm meeting Dr Roth for a surgical followup in 2 days and will be asking how people can contact them since their website hasn't been updated in a while.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 05:30:34 pm by Northern Star Girl »

Offline Kara Lee

• Friend
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2020, 02:51:25 pm »
Just an update. IU Healths website to contact them has been updated some. <Off-Site Link Not Allowed> There is also a new number and point of contact at IU Health at 317-948-3706. The new person they have helping seems very nice. I saw Dr Roth this morning and I asked him how people could contact them and he said it was ok to let you all know. They are ready for new people :)

ok, I can't link directly to IU's updated website so search for this:  universitygenderaffirmationsurgery
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 05:40:27 pm by Kara Lee »

Offline Nozomi

• Neighbor
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2020, 05:14:25 pm »
Nozomi, Yes, ...
Just an update. ...

Thank you very much for your reply and update.

Offline AngelaJade

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2020, 03:06:14 am »
Sorry to add to a thread a month old..

You can add me to the PPV list..
I’ll be having my surgery on the 9th November in Canberra, Australia with Dr Kieran Hart..
I’ll be the first or second in Au to have primary PPV surgery..

there’s also a number of girls in Australia booked in for surgery between November and February 2021.

Cheers
Angela

Nov 2017 - Diagnosed with GD
Jan 2018 - Commenced HRT (e-patches & CPA)
Dec 2018 - Legally changed name & Gender
Mar 2019 - Openly living as a woman.
Nov 2020 - GCS (PPV with Dr Kieran Hart, Canberra)

Offline Nozomi

• Neighbor
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2020, 05:51:44 pm »
I’ll be having my surgery on the 9th November in Canberra, Australia with Dr Kieran Hart..
I’ll be the first or second in Au to have primary PPV surgery..
there’s also a number of girls in Australia booked in for surgery between November and February 2021.
Angela

Dear Angela,

I hope your operation be completed successfully on the 9th November.

Nozomi
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 07:32:41 pm by Nozomi »

Offline Nozomi

• Neighbor
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2020, 03:42:09 pm »
Sorry to add to a thread a month old..
You can add me to the PPV list..
Angela
Thank you very much for your information.
Update reply # 21 here.

I have considered starting new topics, but the information in this forum is valuable and I would like to shed some light on the treasures of Susan's Place.

PPV information forums are scattered around Susan's Place, so I summarized them in the table below to help find relevant surgical information.

Place         Dr. of plastic surgeon        Patient           Forum Title and reply #                                                       
Belgrade    Miroslav Đorđević             Anna994         Peritoneal vaginoplasty in Belgrade A)
IU             Sidhbh Gallagher              Josie76           #20 of this forum & Looking at peritoneal vaginoplasty with Dr. Gallagher
SF             Heidi Wittenberg              SadieBlake      #270 of GCS with Dr Wittenberg April 2017, thanks for y'alls help!   
Mumbai      ? of PriyaMed                  cbraeburn        PPV Surgery with PriyaMED B)
IU              Joshua Ross                    Kara Lee          Recent perionteal vaginoplasty in Indianapolis, In
Canberra     Kieran Hart                    AngelaJade    #25 of this forum

My comments:
A) It may be before the revision, but a breakthrough.
B) cbraeburn, come back to Susan's forum!
C) This table contains only Davidov-based PPV and does not include the followings
(I'm not saying that the following peritoneal methods not included in this table are bad):
The Davidov method has been used by about 170 cis women for about 50 years, so based on the frequency of complications in "Neovagina creation methods and their potential impact on subsequent uterus transplantation: a review" [PMID: 31338951] ",
you can consider countermeasures.

According to # 15 and #144 of "Looking at peritoneal vaginoplasty with Dr. Gallagher", Dr. Ting and Rachel Bluebond-Langner etc. were excluded from this table.
According to # 12 of this forum, Dr. Houtmeyers was excluded from this table.
This table may be Incomplete. If you find any mistakes or omissions, please correct them.

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2020, 03:59:50 pm »
I have my surgery with Bluebond in January 2021 (less than three months away!). Stay tuned...

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Tags: revision