Author Topic: When and how often should a mtf get a mammogram?  (Read 1453 times)

Offline KateR

• Kate
Re: When and how often should a mtf get a mammogram?
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2019, 11:13:08 am »
My doctors are saying 2nd half of 2020 when I’ve passed the 18 month point on HRT.

I seem to be fortunate in the breast growth department which I guess has a bearing on how soon for the first one.

(My wife seems to relish the prospect of me having to endure the squish.  Kinda a revenge I guess.  :-). )

Kate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kate

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2019, 01:20:27 pm »
Every doctor has their opinion.  My Dr says, nope, unless there's family history, the radiation exposure is not worth the risk.  I started hrt at 55 and he said that maybe at 70 but not really worth it.

No Squishies for Denise.

So, does getting a mammogram result in receiving a significant amount of radiation that is a cancer risk?

@Denise  @ChrissyRayn
Dear Denise and Chrissy:
Per my own personal experience, I have now had 3 mammograms since I started HRT in March of 2015 when I was 35 years old.

I had a 2nd Mammogram two years later last September 2018 when I was 38 years old...and the test revealed a slight shadow in my left breast that my doctor was not too concerned with, thinking that is was a small benign cyst. 

Because of that my doctor ordered a follow-up Mammogram a couple months ago in September 2019, the shadow was slightly bigger and they did a needle biopsy during the Mammogram test to obtain a lab report about the cyst to determine if it was benign ... that was inconclusive so my doctor scheduled me for surgery to remove it last October TWO-Months ago. 
Soon after,  got the lab report from my doctor and very thankfully it was benign. (my doctor and I wanted it removed !!!)
If it wold have been malignant, and it could have been, the mammograms would have been a life-saver.

By the way, in my family and extended family history there are no incidents of breast cancer going back several generations.

As a pre-emptive safety measure my doctor wants a follow-up Mammogram next year in September to make certain that all is OK.

Regarding radiation exposure, I asked my Doctor about that before I had my 3rd mammogram several months ago and I was told that the benefits of regular mammograms definitely outweigh any minimal radiation risks... which are similarly comparable to dental x-rays.  (My Sweetie Tooth-Fairy reassured me about the wisdom of this.)
Please note that was my own Doctor's opinion... and I am obviously very happy with my doctor's suggestions for my healthcare.
I am so very glad that I followed my doctor's orders to have the mammograms and the surgery last September....
 ...and now a 4th one planned for next September.  I am becoming an old-hand about my own mammograms.

Here are a couple of LINKS that you can click so you can read what my recent experiences with my doctors regarding all of this.
     --->  https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,243696.msg2310096.html#msg2310096

--->  https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,250316.msg2320331.html#msg2320331

Hugs and best wishes,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline Randi

• Not a medical professional, but I sleep with one.
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2019, 10:10:32 am »
I believe that breasts usually come with a 20 year warranty. 

I have seen no statistics, so this is just my opinion...  I think trans women would get less breast cancer than cis women of the same age.  My genes may be 64 years old, but my breast tissue is only 2 years old.  However, I wouldn't expect our rate to be as low as that of pubescent cis girls.  There are those 64-year-old genes after all.  SO, probably somewhere in between.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2020, 07:25:22 am »
Are you getting your mammograms?  Stay healthy.

Have you found that their availability been restricted because of the Covid-19?

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2020, 09:21:03 am »
In many locations, as health care facilities are starting to rebound back from the initial Covid-19 dilemma, appointments for diagnostic tests are becoming available, read the LINK below to read my thoughts, and my own personal experiences, regarding regular self-exams and Mammogram testing.

Click LINK>>>     Mammogram alert

HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Tags: