Author Topic: When and how often should a mtf get a mammogram?  (Read 2064 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
When and how often should a mtf get a mammogram?
« on: January 18, 2019, 09:16:53 pm »
When and how often should a mtf (trans-woman) get a mammogram?

When should her first mammogram be scheduled?

What is the cost for a mammogram?

What is the cost of any follow-up ultrasound, if needed?

Do mtfs get breast cancer more often than cis-women or cis-men?

Who schedules the mammogram?  You, as you want it, or can it only be ordered by one of your physicians?

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline LizK

Re: When and how often should a mtf get a mammogram?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 01:16:50 am »
Hi @ChrissyRyan

Not sure I can help you with many of the questions except maybe the when...My HRT Dr said after 3 Years on HRT I should start to have them regularly and her plan this year is to teach me self examination as well as me having my first one.

As for the rest of the questions you have I think that comes back to you and your Dr

Take care

Liz

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 04:23:04 am »
My doctor said that we'd start doing them after five years of HRT.
Veteran, US Army

Offline KathyLauren

• Casting off dull certainty
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 07:03:13 am »
The standard here is after 5 years on HRT and over 50 years of age. 

Costs would depend on your insurance situation.  Here, there is no charge to the patient. 

Your doctor should be the one requesting it, but it would be up to you to schedule it with the lab.  If your doctor doesn't think of it when you are due, you should remind them.

I have seen no statistics, so this is just my opinion...  I think trans women would get less breast cancer than cis women of the same age.  My genes may be 64 years old, but my breast tissue is only 2 years old.  However, I wouldn't expect our rate to be as low as that of pubescent cis girls.  There are those 64-year-old genes after all.  SO, probably somewhere in between.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly, beginning full-time; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2019-10-18 Phone consultation for GRS; 2020-03-11 GRS!; 2020-09-30 New birth certificate

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 07:57:16 pm »
With reading messages about HRT and possible cancer, this question of when to get mammograms came to mind.

What is the latest recommendations for when and how frequently we should obtain a mammogram?

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Linde

• Full time for some time
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 10:36:23 pm »
5 years I was told by the doctors at the Mayo.  However, they palpated my breasts very thoroughly during the last visit a few weeks ago, and the findings were captured in the medical report as kind of a baseline.

Breast tissue is breast tissue, and the more one has of it, the larger is the chance to get some negative development!

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 02:13:03 am »
My doctor said we'd start mammograms after five years of HRT as well.
Veteran, US Army

Cindy

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 02:52:17 am »
When and how often should a mtf (trans-woman) get a mammogram?

Depends on age and breast tissue density. Mammograms don't work well on dense tissue so  follow the rules for cis-females and mammograms are recommended after age 40-49 and  every 2 years from 50+. Discuss with your medic if there is a female family history of Breast cancer (that should have been discussed prior to starting HRT  and BRAC1 gene expression offered if a high risk)

When should her first mammogram be scheduled?
3-5 years post HRT.

What is the cost for a mammogram?

Country dependent. Free in Australia as part of Breast Screen.

What is the cost of any follow-up ultrasound, if needed?

Country dependent see above

Do mtfs get breast cancer more often than cis-women or cis-men?

In general more often than cis-males less often than cis-females. Note the risk factors and avoid them (smoking, obesity, alcohol etc)

Who schedules the mammogram?  You, as you want it, or can it only be ordered by one of your physicians?

In Australia you will be part of Cancer Screen after changing your Medicare ID and have a free mammogram every 2 years after you reach 50. All follow ups are part of the screening process. I imagine that this varies from country to country.

Chrissy

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 06:39:21 pm »
Last year my family doctor order a mammogram after 11/2 years after I started HRT.  I had little boobettes growing, which look more like moobs right now, and I think that he just wanted to set a baseline for my annual November yearly physicals.  No big deal and no pain, and they had enough to get decent images.
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline Monkeyyeah

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 04:25:03 pm »
This is good info, I'll have to remember this. May come to be useful in the future.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 09:55:45 pm »
Mammograms are important that is for sure.  Thank you for this current information.   :)  :)

Chrissy

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 07:22:20 am »
Is the timeframe for counting being on mtf HRT include the time being on phytoestrogens? 
Or is that time period ignored?

Chrissy

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 09:01:50 am »
Is the timeframe for counting being on mtf HRT include the time being on phytoestrogens? 
Or is that time period ignored?

Chrissy
@ChrissyRyan
Dear Chrissy:
Last month I posted a thread regarding the importance of regular Mammograms.   
I had breast surgery as a consequence of what recent Mammograms had revealed. 
This is an important post for most all of here on the Forums to read....

Click LINK-->
   Mammogram alert      (November 11, 2019)

HUGS and best wishes,

Danielle
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For my new readers and potential followers: The following information and LINKS will guide you to my previous and informative threads that I had started writing back in February 2018.   Numerous threads, comments and over 18,500 posts later here I am starting all over once again, please bear with me and feel free to ask me any questions and/or make any comments that are on your mind.
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Mammogram alert
Positive Mindset... put away negativity
Susans Writers and Book Readers
Trouble posting pictures??? HERE ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS
Trouble Posting a VIDEO??? HERE ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 09:04:16 am »
@ChrissyRyan
Dear Chrissy:
Last month I posted a thread regarding the importance of regular Mammograms.   
I had breast surgery as a consequence of what recent Mammograms had revealed. 
This is an important post for most all of here on the Forums to read....

Mammogram Alert    (November 11, 2019) 
    Mammogram alert 

HUGS and best wishes,

Danielle
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For my new readers and potential followers: The following information and LINKS will guide you to my previous and informative threads that I had started writing back in February 2018.   Numerous threads, comments and over 18,500 posts later here I am starting all over once again, please bear with me and feel free to ask me any questions and/or make any comments that are on your mind.
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
Mammogram alert
Susans Writers and Book Readers
Trouble posting pictures??? HERE ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS
Trouble Posting a VIDEO??? HERE ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS

Yes, I saw your thread on that.  It is good, and the process of finding your cyst was something that you could trace back to your mammogram.

Maybe someone has thoughts on the phytoestrogen use timeframe.

Chrissy

Offline Bobbie LeAnn

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 07:45:09 pm »
For me it was about 1 & 1/2 years from when I started HRT. My doctor (A cis woman) ordered it because my breasts had grown rather large. I have had one about a year after the first one and my doctor wants me to have one each year.
My insurance paid for it so I have no idea what it cost.

GordonG

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 03:00:43 pm »
My doctor says that we'll talk about it next December (2020) at my yearly checkup. It will have been 2 years on HRT at that time.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 08:56:04 pm »
For many women under the age of 50, with or without a transgender history, the recommendation is the same.

However, for late transitioners like myself at age 70, my doctor wants an annual mammogram. Probably not absolutely necessary. Maybe they just want to document any later in life changes since late transitioners are really unknown territory. There just aren't that many of us, yet.  :o

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Denise

• Denise
  • I am Denise
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2019, 10:02:37 pm »
Every doctor has their opinion.  My Dr says, nope, unless there's family history, the radiation exposure is not worth the risk.  I started hrt at 55 and he said that maybe at 70 but not really worth it.

No Squishies for Denise.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

1st Person out: 16-Oct-2015
Restarted Spironolactone 26-Aug-2016
Restarted Estradiol Valerate: 02-Nov-2016
Full time: 02-Mar-2017
Breast Augmentation (Schechter): 31-Oct-2017
FFS (Walton in Chicago): 25-Sep-2018
Vaginoplasty (Schechter): 13-Dec-2018

A haiku in honor of my grandmother who loved them.
The Voices are Gone
Living Life to the Fullest
I am just Denise

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2019, 06:12:55 am »
Every doctor has their opinion.  My Dr says, nope, unless there's family history, the radiation exposure is not worth the risk.  I started hrt at 55 and he said that maybe at 70 but not really worth it.

No Squishies for Denise.

So, does getting a mammogram result in receiving a significant amount of radiation that is a cancer risk?

Offline Linde

• Full time for some time
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2019, 10:24:36 am »

So, does getting a mammogram result in receiving a significant amount of radiation that is a cancer risk?
Not a significant amount, but a very concentrated amount!  And mammograms do not find all growth, and for this reason the new developed technology of 3D mammograms is used, which looks at the breast from all sides.  But even this can cause failed diagnosis, and very often a biopsie is the only possibility to determine the actual condition.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 01:39:47 pm by Linde »

Tags: