Author Topic: When and how often should a mtf get a mammogram?  (Read 2057 times)

Online KateR

• Kate
Re: When and how often should a mtf get a mammogram?
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2019, 11:13:08 am »
My doctors are saying 2nd half of 2020 when I’ve passed the 18 month point on HRT.

I seem to be fortunate in the breast growth department which I guess has a bearing on how soon for the first one.

(My wife seems to relish the prospect of me having to endure the squish.  Kinda a revenge I guess.  :-). )

Kate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kate

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2019, 01:20:27 pm »
Every doctor has their opinion.  My Dr says, nope, unless there's family history, the radiation exposure is not worth the risk.  I started hrt at 55 and he said that maybe at 70 but not really worth it.

No Squishies for Denise.

So, does getting a mammogram result in receiving a significant amount of radiation that is a cancer risk?

@Denise  @ChrissyRayn
Dear Denise and Chrissy:
Per my own personal experience, I have now had 3 mammograms since I started HRT in March of 2015 when I was 35 years old.

I had a 2nd Mammogram two years later last September 2018 when I was 38 years old...and the test revealed a slight shadow in my left breast that my doctor was not too concerned with, thinking that is was a small benign cyst. 

Because of that my doctor ordered a follow-up Mammogram a couple months ago in September 2019, the shadow was slightly bigger and they did a needle biopsy during the Mammogram test to obtain a lab report about the cyst to determine if it was benign ... that was inconclusive so my doctor scheduled me for surgery to remove it last October TWO-Months ago. 
Soon after,  got the lab report from my doctor and very thankfully it was benign. (my doctor and I wanted it removed !!!)
If it wold have been malignant, and it could have been, the mammograms would have been a life-saver.

By the way, in my family and extended family history there are no incidents of breast cancer going back several generations.

As a pre-emptive safety measure my doctor wants a follow-up Mammogram next year in September to make certain that all is OK.

Regarding radiation exposure, I asked my Doctor about that before I had my 3rd mammogram several months ago and I was told that the benefits of regular mammograms definitely outweigh any minimal radiation risks... which are similarly comparable to dental x-rays.  (My Sweetie Tooth-Fairy reassured me about the wisdom of this.)
Please note that was my own Doctor's opinion... and I am obviously very happy with my doctor's suggestions for my healthcare.
I am so very glad that I followed my doctor's orders to have the mammograms and the surgery last September....
 ...and now a 4th one planned for next September.  I am becoming an old-hand about my own mammograms.

Here are a couple of LINKS that you can click so you can read what my recent experiences with my doctors regarding all of this.
     --->  https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,243696.msg2310096.html#msg2310096

--->  https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,250316.msg2320331.html#msg2320331

Hugs and best wishes,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline Randi

• Not a medical professional, but I sleep with one.
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2019, 10:10:32 am »
I believe that breasts usually come with a 20 year warranty. 

I have seen no statistics, so this is just my opinion...  I think trans women would get less breast cancer than cis women of the same age.  My genes may be 64 years old, but my breast tissue is only 2 years old.  However, I wouldn't expect our rate to be as low as that of pubescent cis girls.  There are those 64-year-old genes after all.  SO, probably somewhere in between.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2020, 07:25:22 am »
Are you getting your mammograms?  Stay healthy.

Have you found that their availability been restricted because of the Covid-19?

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2020, 09:21:03 am »
In many locations, as health care facilities are starting to rebound back from the initial Covid-19 dilemma, appointments for diagnostic tests are becoming available, read the LINK below to read my thoughts, and my own personal experiences, regarding regular self-exams and Mammogram testing.

Click LINK>>>     Mammogram alert

HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW

Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
When and how often should a mtf get a mammogram?
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2020, 10:46:36 am »
Do remember to schedule your mammogram and physician checkups.

I was talking about this yesterday.  Briefly someone said, “Oh, you probably have little chance of problems, because you are [T] ...” then she seemed to wonder if she should have said that.

So I just followed that up with that we simply need to have regular checkups and proper medical care, and we had much nice conversation to follow.  :)

Chrissy

Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2020, 10:56:45 am »
@ChrissyRyan
A very good reminder... thank you for posting!

As most of us know, even cis-males that are not transitioning and not on HRT can develop breast cancer.   MTF transitioners that are on HRT are susceptible to breast cancer and other similar issues.   Hormones are powerful stuff!!!

For newer members reading this thread, scroll down and read some of my previous comments and links....  it should become apparent that regular Mammograms are very important.

HUGS,
Danielle

I was talking about this yesterday.  Briefly someone said, “Oh, you probably have little chance of problems, because you are [T] ...” then she seemed to wonder if she should have said that.

So I just followed that up with that we simply need to have regular checkups and proper medical care, and we had much nice conversation to follow.  :)

Chrissy
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 11:56:51 am by Northern Star Girl »
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW

Offline TanandaTheTrollop

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2020, 04:34:18 pm »
Once a year, every year since two years on hormones. Don’t be the one who doesn’t wear a mask and think it can’t happen to you. Take care of yourself!

Offline TanandaTheTrollop

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2020, 05:48:40 pm »
Sorry, somehow I missed the COVID-19 part of the thread. Mine was delayed this year but I finally got it done after a four month delay. Actually my schedule that made that so long after the initial delay. It was much more streamlined than it has been in past years. All of the paperwork and questionnaires don before getting neat the place. My technician was like a grandma drill sergeant. “Here, here. Okay shoulder back a little. Not it, I am going to put you in place. Not comfortable, I know but has to be done. Yes it is cold, we all have to do it dear. Here comes the pressure, you will be okay. Hold your breath... now! Okay, grab here now. No here. Where my hand is sweetie. That is it, little bit closer.(good push on the back) There! Not so bad is it? Here comes the squeeze. We all go through it dear. Hold your breath now in... 3... 2... 1... now! Now the other one, go ahead and cover that side up and pull yourself out of the other.”

Never uncomfortable but sheesh! She should be running more than breast exams, 5’ 8” maybe and 105 lbs tops, that grandma could make sure the whole world towed the line.

Offline Pammie

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2020, 06:29:48 pm »

Chrissy
The NHS seems pretty good in this area, I was asked to go for a mammogram last year and im just in the system like any other woman so I’ll get regular invites. I have to say it was a very uncomfortable experience but is absolutely necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline noleen111

• Family
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2020, 03:16:30 am »
I have never had a mammogram.

I have had my breasts for over 10 years now,(I cant believe its being so long now, I cant think of my life anymore where I never had them, putting on a bra daily is so natural now.)

I do self checks and a get  a breast exam during my yearly checkup. My doctor told me she will send me for my first mammogram when I reach my 40's. I am only in my early 30's now.

A question for you girls who have experienced a mammogram and have implants?

I have natural 36D breasts, i have inherited the same breast style as my mother, and she mentioned i like her,, I  may experience sagging in my 30's, I would like to get some work done in my 40's to firm things up again, maybe go up a cup size to a 36DD.

How does the implants effect the doctors ability to perform an effective mammogram?

Enjoying ride the hormones are giving me... finally becoming the woman I always knew I was

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2020, 05:40:16 am »
Sub muscular placement of a breast implant has little or no effect on a mammogram. Sub glandular placement, being closer to the breast tissue being looked at in a mammogram, is bit more in the way. However, imaging technology today is so improved that either placement causes little problem.

If your mother experienced sagging breasts in her 30's, I expect that this was due to having children and breast feeding. When lactating, all breasts become engorged with milk. This can stretch your breast tissue so that it never returns to the original shape, resulting in a sagging breast. Even without breast feeding a child, time and gravity are a breast's worst enemy.  :( . Bras are made for support among other reasons.  :D

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Tags: