Author Topic: Darn Endocrinologist  (Read 10235 times)

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
Re: Darn Endocrinologist
« Reply #240 on: July 02, 2020, 05:04:30 am »

I drank pickle juice today...

...Pickle juice? ...

...Yet today, I could feel I wanted salt really badly. Beats me why. I just did. There were dill pickles in the fridge. They tasted good. Then I remembered those ridiculous stories of people drinking the pickle juice...

Your body is telling you something. Your electrolytes were a bit too low.

I have also noted that when my body needs something to restore my natural balance, that something seems to taste really good.

There is no harm in drinking a small amount. Pickle juice is essentially saltwater and a few other spices in the mix, but I would not drink pickle juice on a regular basis. I would expect swelling and edema as well as all the other issues from excess salt intake.

Just curious, did you chase the pickle juice with a snack of salty chips or nuts?  :laugh:

Offline Battle Goddess

• Friend
« Reply #241 on: July 02, 2020, 11:15:50 am »
Your body is telling you something. Your electrolytes were a bit too low.

Darn scientists. Be taking all the angst and introspection out of everything. Can't a person be a whiny pubescent teenage girl every once in a while?

You're the best, Rakel.   :icon_love:

Just curious, did you chase the pickle juice with a snack of salty chips or nuts?  :laugh:

No, after having gobbled down all those pickles, and having preceded it all by eating a half-teaspoon of salt (out of pure biochemical curiosity, mind you), I was pretty well set.   :icon_mrgreen:

That reminds me, I think I drove through Edema once on my way to Oklahoma City.
Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline Battle Goddess

• Friend
« Reply #242 on: July 03, 2020, 12:15:50 pm »
Aargh. Nipples hurt nipples hurt nipples hurt.

Hmmph...

Much as I adore my developing breasts, I'm having very mixed feelings about my nipples.

I was okay with my nipples before all this estrogen business. They were p much afterthoughts. Might as well have been body art except in certain intimate situations, and even then they were more of a bit player than part of the principal cast of characters.

But now? Dayum. Little buggers are a pain in the ... whatever! Can't see anywhere they'd be involved in anything intimate or pleasurable. Tried going braless over the weekend to see what it was like, and that ain't happening again. The skin is fine - no inflammation, no discoloration - but the nerves grumble and growl all day long.

Now that my family is more comfortable with my transition, they're more willing to broach indelicate women's topics around me in everyday conversation. I hear a lot of kvetching about breasts that I never used to hear before. High-maintenance little buggers all around, I guess.

The things you learn...
Divigel January 20 2019

Online Maddie

• Family
« Reply #243 on: July 09, 2020, 09:02:35 pm »
Mine seem less sensitive
More willing to be touched than before HRT.
I believe it's ok to be different.

Happy that you have family, and they are more comfortable with you and your nipples.
Sounds like a good place, BG   :)

Offline Battle Goddess

• Friend
« Reply #244 on: July 10, 2020, 11:28:57 pm »
Yesterday I drank more pickle juice at lunch and enjoyed ice cream after dinner.

Looking at my belly, I'd say that all signs point to my being somewhere early in my second trimester.
Divigel January 20 2019

Offline Battle Goddess

• Friend
« Reply #245 on: July 12, 2020, 12:50:04 pm »
Grrr...

You know that Far Side cartoon of the crocodile in his therapist's office, and he's confessing to the therapist that when those trusting little birds hop into his mouth to clean his teeth, he's taken to eating them?

Sorta how I feel now when someone calls me "sir." They probably think they're being polite, and all I want is to make them vanish. Immediately. Poof.

How many cues does a girl gotta give? Shoot. A fair piece more, I imagine. Oh, well. At least I know who I am.
Divigel January 20 2019

Online JanePlain

• This is getting complicated.
« Reply #246 on: July 13, 2020, 09:28:07 am »
Started out writing a post about anosmia to the coronavirus thread, but it ended up getting all personal and reflective, so I decided to put it here instead.

Just for reference, a certain level of anosmia runs in my family. We don't have good senses of smell or taste. I'm fortunate in that I can still smell natural gas, but it's hard to recognize when food has begun to turn. Am perpetually bemused that DW throws away food that smells perfectly good, and I have been very curious what it's been like for folks who have become anosmic as a result of covid.

Hadn't expected it, but HRT has begun to somewhat lift the cloak of my anosmia. I can smell and taste much more vividly! It's thrilling and fascinating, but I also find myself evolving coping strategies. It's not that the new smells are overpowering, but I'm not quite prepared to deal with all of them. Too many mice headed for the mousehole all at the same time. It's just too much.

That's sort of how it was when I was first coming to grips with the unnerving possibility that I might be trans.

I'm a very data-oriented person. Trusting my feelings isn't comfortable. I want empirical evidence. Why was I recognizing this possibility now, I perplexedly wondered? Wth happened? All these new feelings like popcorn kernels bursting one after the other in a mushrooming cascade... it's not that I denied the possibility, but I had to figure out how to dull the clamor and get space to think.

I wish I could have just accepted the possibility right then and there. Meemaw didn't teach me to stand in front of freight trains. The feelings were the empirical data. I was just too scared to admit it. Spent so much time instead with therapists and trying to placate DW and navel-gazing and promising myself that I wouldn't do anything stupid or rash, and it was all time I could have been spending not fighting it. Phooey.
This was one of the effects that going on HRT came as a complete surprise to me.  I expected to have a change how my body smelled but I was overwhelmed with my ability to smell! I have a place under the sink for tossing out garbage and even with the door closed (At at the other end of the house) it was overpowering. I didn't connect it with HRT until I did some more research but for a while I felt like I had gained the skills of a bloodhound.  Socks my SO leaves on the floor every morning to collect all just drive me over the wall. The smell of good food (and horrible fast food) is so much more intense. Its given me such a new understanding of why my mother was so intent on dirty cloths down the chute (Then washed asap)  I've grown to be slightly less overwhelmed by it.  I'm just glad my body stopped putting out "man stink" at the same time. Ugh! 

Who knew how many things would change for the better?

Online JanePlain

• This is getting complicated.
« Reply #247 on: July 13, 2020, 09:30:03 am »
Mine seem less sensitive
More willing to be touched than before HRT.
I believe it's ok to be different.

Happy that you have family, and they are more comfortable with you and your nipples.
Sounds like a good place, BG   :)

Without this getting TMI they are much more a part of getting intimate.

Offline SoCal_Holly

• Multi-Pass
« Reply #248 on: July 15, 2020, 01:38:26 am »
Battle Goddess (and everyone 😎)

Love reading about your adventures....

I’m was right there with you on the strangeness of drinking pickle juice still haven’t tried it but friends swear by it, may have to try it before summer ends lol

Only male fail I had was a hwy patrol officer approaching me from behind to give me a traffic ticket but that was because my blue hair is halfway down my back so I don’t think that counts 😡 lol - really sad huh

Was talking to my doc about about body sculpting etc.. and she said just be careful about raising A1C if I’d eliminate too much body fat, sculpting will help with feminine shaping just need to watch gaining weight afterwards, no more yo-yoing  weight for me

And yes under TMI - nipples = fireworks 🔥🔥🔥

Holly

Offline Battle Goddess

• Friend
« Reply #249 on: July 15, 2020, 09:24:19 am »
Without this getting TMI they are much more a part of getting intimate.
Aargh. I just whanged the left one of other women's part of getting intimate on a doorframe. Note to self: don't take corners so tight.

Also, YAYYYYY!

I got enough to hit on doorframes!

Might go back and hit the other one once the throbbing dies down.
Divigel January 20 2019

Offline Battle Goddess

• Friend
« Reply #250 on: July 16, 2020, 03:18:46 pm »
The Battle Goddess strongly endorses her local Costco!  :D

In my ongoing quest for affirmation, I went in yesterday to update my Costco membership info with my new name and face. For those of us who don't shop there, you get a photo ID card to present at checkout. No card means no checkout, though I've heard one can use their pharmacy without being a member.

So I mosey up to the customer desk's plexiglass shield, greet the person standing behind the counter, and announce that I'd like to update my name and photo on my membership record because (at which point I flourish my old membership card) "I sure don't look like that anymore."

It was not a photo of anyone you'd choose to sit next to on the bus. The picture on that card showed someone unhappy, even surly. Slumped, hunched shoulders. No smile. Downcast eyes. Short hair and a goatee gone salt-and-pepper. The very portrait of a man living a life of silent desperation, exasperation, frustration, and bitter resentment.

The Costco staffer looked at me, looked at it, smiled, said, "Sure don't!" And asked what I'd like my name to be.

Then we took my new picture.

Then I got my new card.

Simple as that. No muss, no fuss, no pain in the tuchus. No hairy eyeballs or tittering from the peanut gallery. No gushing about how I brave I am, or how proud they were to assist me, or rainbow flags that disappear on the first day of July. I just wanted to make a change, they made the change, and that was it.

Completely accepted. Completely routine. Completely normal.

My new membership card shows a very happy gal with droolworthy eyes, hair running down along a very long neck, and a grin like a possum eating a sweet potato.

Onward and outward!

Divigel January 20 2019

Online Maddie

• Family
« Reply #251 on: July 17, 2020, 12:29:12 am »
That's a happy possom :)

Does Costco sell doorframes?

Offline Battle Goddess

• Friend
« Reply #252 on: July 17, 2020, 02:11:57 pm »
That's a happy possom :)

Does Costco sell doorframes?
They carry all sorts of stuff online that they don't display on the shop floors. Coffins, for example.

Is that the kind of doorframe you mean?
Divigel January 20 2019

Online Maddie

• Family
« Reply #253 on: July 20, 2020, 03:36:01 pm »
No, Battle Goddess, I was jokingly referring to your post.
Aargh. I just whanged the left one of other women's part of getting intimate on a doorframe. Note to self: don't take corners so tight.

Also, YAYYYYY!

I got enough to hit on doorframes!

Might go back and hit the other one once the throbbing dies down.

As in, wish I had that problem ;)

Offline Battle Goddess

• Friend
« Reply #254 on: July 20, 2020, 11:07:06 pm »
Got all happy today thinking that it was only three days until my next estrogen shot.
Divigel January 20 2019

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
« Reply #255 on: July 21, 2020, 02:26:17 pm »
ah yes the lady sticky out bits, got stuck squeezing between the roof frame on my hot rod and ended up squishing them to get back out . Ouch  and the doors and frames that jump out (brain still not caught up with the new dimensions)
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever

Offline Battle Goddess

• Friend
« Reply #256 on: July 21, 2020, 05:24:58 pm »
ah yes the lady sticky out bits, got stuck squeezing between the roof frame on my hot rod and ended up squishing them to get back out . Ouch  and the doors and frames that jump out (brain still not caught up with the new dimensions)

Dang. Took me a minute or two to unscrew my eyes after that one.

Makes me glad I work in software. Stuff only has to exist logically, not physically.

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline mm

« Reply #257 on: July 22, 2020, 01:27:02 pm »
davina61, Just something every teenage girl learns as she develops, her chest takes up more room and will let you know when they get bumped when you try to get through a narrow spot. Doors can be bad and seems to be everywhere one goes.

Offline Battle Goddess

• Friend
« Reply #258 on: July 23, 2020, 12:47:45 pm »
Got all happy today thinking that it was only three days until my next estrogen shot.

Awwww yeah... E-Day. Pure biochemical goodness. Slammed a little bit extra because the vial was fixing to run out. Waste not, want not, and the Battle Goddess is a very happy girl on a very pink cloud!
Divigel January 20 2019

Tags: