Author Topic: Hiking  (Read 5349 times)

Offline Tess100

Re: Hiking
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2020, 09:20:46 am »
@MeTony
I am in full agreement with you on a map and compass. Electronics are always prone to failure plus maps are fun to look at and markup with notes.

Offline MeTony

« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2020, 02:09:14 pm »
Been on a little trip today. It was amazing to be out in the nature again. This is 30 min drive from home.

There was people in the forest. But not very much.

The third picture is an overgrown bunker from WWII.

Offline MeTony

« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2020, 06:41:20 am »
Me hiking again. 24 km. One night out in a tent. I have sore muscles but I’m ready to go for next adventure soon.

Sunrises are magic. Just me and the birds are awake.

Offline CynthiaAnn

• like totally dig that pacific pulse....
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2020, 08:02:11 am »
Me hiking again. 24 km. One night out in a tent. I have sore muscles but I’m ready to go for next adventure soon.

Sunrises are magic. Just me and the birds are awake.

Very nice Tony  :)

How fun

C
kindness is love nurturing your soul....

Offline MeTony

« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2020, 03:43:20 pm »
Time to revive this old thread. On saturday I will go on my next hike. I will put up some beautiful pictures of sunrises and stuff here.

I am bringing my sister with me. She is excited and has very optimistic thoughts about how far we will hike in one day. But I have stopped her a bit. 3 km/h is what she has to count. Her one-day-trip became a 3-day-trip. Over mountains is not like walking on a road. Propable even slower than 3 km/h.

Tony

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2020, 03:27:06 pm »
Nowadays I hike to a small mountain near my house. It takes less than 1 hour, but helps me keep healthy.

A few days ago, I chased the cloud looking like a lens to the mountain.

The lens cloud scattered soon.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline MeTony

« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2020, 03:03:57 am »
Lovely pictures Barbie.

We were only out for 1 day and one night. There tiny insects bit my sister. She now looks like she has smallpox. They are called ”knott” in Swedish .

The hike, 10 km, was nice. But hot. It was about 30 degrees and we drank a lot of water. All but my son and sister. I had to give them a salt/sugar solusion in the evening to get rid of the head ache and told them to drink more water.

Here’s me at a break, 3 km left to hike.

A mosquito net is essential in a forest in northern Sweden.

Our camping site. A nice lady invited us to camp on her yard. We did not need to camp in the forest.

Here’s my son. Out fishing in the forest. I love the nature. The lake was like a mirror.

Tony

Offline MeTony

« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2020, 03:07:35 am »
The small insects are called gnat in English. I looked it up. There were thousands of them. They bit you everywhere. I am lucky the bites don’t bother me. No itch no nothing. My worst bites are on my leg. Wore shorts.

Offline RandyL

• On the way
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2020, 10:36:43 am »
In North America, gnats don't bite, they just get in your nose and eyes. The ones that bite, we call blackflies. Yes they are evil although usually the bites don't last as long as mosquito bites. Also called no-see-ums. You have to have a fine-mesh net to keep them out.

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

Casting about for my best path forward...

My personal blog thread: Randy the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randy's HRT Journal

Offline barbie

« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2020, 08:39:13 pm »
Beautiful nature phots, MeTony.

We also have many mosquitoes at my house, but less than the downtown areas. As I usually run in the mountains, insects seldom land on my skin to bite.

I tend to be careful of tick in the mountains here. Ticks can transmit SFTS (Severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome ) virus. Its symptoms are similar to Covid-19. The fatality is very high.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_fever_with_thrombocytopenia_syndrome

At my house, I can see the sea, which is sometimes covered by fog. In the mountains, the scenery is clearer. Near the coast is the downtown area.

barbie~~

Just do it.

Offline MeTony

« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2020, 01:40:01 am »
Ticks. Hate them. They don’t like me though. I seldome get bit. But I’ve had Lyme disease three times.

Offline Liina

« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2020, 08:31:19 am »
Great hiking photos Tony, it is fabulous that you get out so much, wow. Yes I bet the insects are ferocious at certain times of the year. It is amazing to me to see the left over history from WW2 scattered about, lots of history in the forest. It is so awesome to have places to go see in nature so close by.  Thanks for sharing and have fun hiking.
Liina

Been on a little trip today. It was amazing to be out in the nature again. This is 30 min drive from home.

There was people in the forest. But not very much.

The third picture is an overgrown bunker from WWII.

Offline Liina

« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2020, 08:36:20 am »
Hi Barbie, yes ticks are nasty little bugs, we get them in the spring through to summer and make it creepy knowing they could be crawling all over you. For us we see loads of the on trails in areas where there is lots of wildlife. One of my in laws had 2 of them embedded in his chest and armpit a week ago after a hike. Dogs get em all over if we don't check right away. Keep eyes open for them..
Liina

Beautiful nature phots, MeTony.

We also have many mosquitoes at my house, but less than the downtown areas. As I usually run in the mountains, insects seldom land on my skin to bite.

I tend to be careful of tick in the mountains here. Ticks can transmit SFTS (Severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome ) virus. Its symptoms are similar to Covid-19. The fatality is very high.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_fever_with_thrombocytopenia_syndrome

At my house, I can see the sea, which is sometimes covered by fog. In the mountains, the scenery is clearer. Near the coast is the downtown area.

barbie~~

Offline anne_indy

• Friend
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2020, 12:26:16 pm »
You have a beautiful view, Barbie. I was on Jeju island 6-7 years ago, and we really enjoyed it. But we were only there for 2 days, so didn’t get to see all of its beauty. The driver who took us around thought we enjoy the more touristy sites, but in retrospect, I would have loved to have spent some time hiking or biking there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2020, 01:06:49 pm »
@MeTony
Dear Tony: 
Your hiking pictures are terrific.  It is nice for me and the rest of your followers to to along with you as you hike around in your area.

You live in the far northern latitudes as I do, so I am certain that you have lots of biting bugs and mosquitoes for a couple months of warmer, sunny, summer weather.   

In some areas where I do my hiking in the hills the mosquitoes are very thick...   they only have a couple months to propagate and breed, so they are very busy for a short while. 
In Alaska, we call them our "State Bird"   LOL !!!  ;) :o

This time of year I don't venture out without bug repellent spray.... and yes, I am very careful to avoid the Ticks.

Thank you for sharing and posting...
Best wishes to you,
Danielle

***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline MeTony

« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2020, 02:21:26 pm »
Looks like chicken pox. Lol.

This is only parts of my body.

Left and right legs.

Offline barbie

« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2020, 05:40:08 pm »
You have a beautiful view, Barbie. I was on Jeju island 6-7 years ago, and we really enjoyed it. But we were only there for 2 days, so didn’t get to see all of its beauty. The driver who took us around thought we enjoy the more touristy sites, but in retrospect, I would have loved to have spent some time hiking or biking there.

Glad to hear from you, B.

Jeju island has changed a lot during the past several years. I invited an old German professor in 2012-2014, and he complained that he could not see any German car in the streets of Jeju island. I replied that there are a lot of German cars in the mainland.

Nowadays I can see many German cars here in Jeju island with car dealers and service centers. The real estate price has doubled on average over the entire island, with some extreme cases, more than 10 times. Conflicts between developers and environmentalists and between local and mainland people are always widespread. An example is regarding the construction of the 2nd airport, which is now temporarily halted.

I wish to visit the eastern US again, but the COVID-19 does not allow any immediate plan. Nowadays I sometimes flash back to the moment of visiting Smokey mountains with my kids 20 years ago.

Staying healthy,

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline barbie

« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2020, 05:45:57 pm »
Looks like chicken pox. Lol.

This is only parts of my body.

Left and right legs.

I am sure that excellent ointments are available in nearby stores.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline barbie

« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2020, 06:05:22 pm »
Hi Barbie, yes ticks are nasty little bugs, we get them in the spring through to summer and make it creepy knowing they could be crawling all over you. For us we see loads of the on trails in areas where there is lots of wildlife. One of my in laws had 2 of them embedded in his chest and armpit a week ago after a hike. Dogs get em all over if we don't check right away. Keep eyes open for them..
Liina

Yes. Bugs never stop annoying human species. Yesterday, two electric repairmen came to my house and kept the door open for 1 hour. Now, we need to kill mosquitoes with insecticide spray. The Monsoon started this week. Mosquitoes tend to suck blood during the spawning season, immediately after the Monsoon.

barbie~~

Just do it.

Offline Liina

« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2020, 09:20:13 am »
Hi Barbie, those "pesky Mozzies", I have those mosquitoes around my home from mid May sometimes to midi September all summer long. If I ignored them the do not bug me, mostly. Ya know you try to open the door with arms full of groceries and bang they get you on the back of your shoulders...ah yes them Mozzies.

Liina

Tags: