Author Topic: Do you think of yourself as intersexed?  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Rachel Montgomery

• Family
Re: Do you think of yourself as intersexed?
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2021, 10:26:15 pm »
I now see myself as intersex.  My Endocrinologist from childhood never did, but in my early 50’s I starting going to a new Endocrinologist and the first thing he said was “so, your intersex”.  I said, “no, what?”  He started going over the different aspects of my peculiar problems and said that I had Kallmans, but I had the sense of smell, so it is called IHH.  I don’t know if that really makes me intersex or not, but he says it does. 

I was surprised that I had never been told that before.  But, it did make a lot of sense.  I suspymy parents have known for years. 

Offline Rachel

• Family
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2021, 10:32:27 pm »
So, I was on a quest to find out proof positive if I am intersexed. I had my Kerio type taken and it showed xy but the y did not look normal. When Dr. McGinn saw mw she said to me you know you are inter sexed. I said yes. Post Op she closed me up a week after surgery at Papillion and she said my anatomy is very different.

I had my entire genome read at Dr. Churches lab and compared to 20,000 studies. It is very accurate. It said I am mosaic due to polymorphisms on my Y chromosome. There are a lot of polymorphisms on the strand and some are 8 high. I am variant for sure. I then look at the enzymes 5 alpha reductase and 5 alpha dehydrogenase and I have a lot of polymorphisms on those two enzymes. They are responsible for converting T and E to and from more potent forms of the hormones'.

Two weeks ago I was at a party and my friend checked out my vagina. She is trans and went to Dr. McGinn for GCS as well. She whispered in my eat that I am different. There were a bunch of people in the bed so I dare not ask a question like how. I do not want anyone to hear. So, I am friends with her on a site that is common to our community. Anyhow, I was thinking about asking her in a PM.

So, going back to the original question, do I consider myself intersexed?  I do not have dysphoria any more. I am on good meds so I have reduced ideation and rumination. I still have the number and pattern thing and when excited I roll my eyes and flap my hands. I try so hard to not stim. I want beautiful nails and stimming till my fingers bleed is not pretty. I am doing very well with that too. Do I consider myself ASP?

I am trans, intersexed and I have ASP. How do I define myself? I am Rachel. I am a woman. I do not define myself by parts of who I am.

Dusty, my first trans PA-c was not right. Finding out why I am who I am is very important. He was right that once I found out what does it matter. I want to change that.

Rachel
MTF in need of help link https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,133631.1980.html
MTF in need of help 2 link https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,251825.0.html
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas FemLar 10/13/2020
Dr. Thomas laser vocal procedure 2/17/2021

Offline Angelaney

• Friend
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2021, 05:17:16 am »
I read about someone who was born externally male, but had a partially formed uterus and this was not found until he had a routine operation in his 50's. They say that less than 2% of the worlds population are intersexed, BUT how many just don't know it?

Also it's probably REALLY wrong of me, but in some situations when i'm getting dragged into the binary gender and biology argument, I will state that i'm intersexed, because it stops them in their tracks and we can then have a meaningful conversation about gender, rather than arguing about biology.

I'm really not proud of myself for doing this, but I think the end justifies the means.

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2021, 07:21:38 am »
I might be intersexed as I don't need to take estrogen. My estrogen level has always been in the low normal range, both for a young woman and an old woman.*

When I was about 55, it dropped, but was still normal for an old woman. I did take estrogen to kickstart my second puberty.

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2021, 04:06:45 pm »
I am intersex.. I have a genotype of 46XX:46XY.. a true chimera... this means that some of my cells are 'male' and some are 'female'.. and so, some organs are differentiated as such too..
But, in reality.. it makes no difference. I was 'eventually' assigned male at 2 years old.. I had surgeries done to affirm this.. and I went through a 'male' puberty..
My genetics does not make my gender.. if I was 46XY I would still be female.. confusing medical conditions such as intersex genetics with gender.. is the same as confusing sexuality with gender...

I am intersex, I deal with the medical issues that it causes me daily.. as my condition predisposes you to tumours and other rare conditions.  The scars from the surgery at 18 months old are obvious and have pained me for most of my life. I have had to take hormones for most of my adult life.. and none of this has anything to do with 'who' I am or what gender I am. It is simply I did not 'fit' into the standard biological definition of binary sex.

Being the perfect genetic twin system.. 50% male and 50% female.. I could argue my biology to be either sex.. truth is it is a mix and always will be.. but my gender.. now that is not mixed.. so I consider myself to be just simply female with some interesting genetics. I really don't understand intersex being used as a 'reason' for gender or anything that should be considered affirming one binary over another..

Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline Karen_A

• Friend
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2021, 05:13:30 pm »
While someone being intersex likely makes it easier for others to accept their transition (and maybe even oneself), most of us, as intersex is defined, are likely not.

I have no physical indications of being intersex AT ALL. As such there has never been a reason to test for it, so I have never been tested.

If for some reason I was tested and turned out to be the case (about as likely as winning Powerball 5 drawings in a row), at this point in my life I doubt it would change anything and I doubt I would even mention it to anyone but an MD.

It has been many years since I felt the need to try and justify my transition to anyone... including myself (something I struggled with when much younger)

I don't know why I had to do it in spite of the fact that 'success" in my case looked very improbable...

But I know i needed to do it and so did... and that is enough in the end.

-Karen

Offline Rachel Montgomery

• Family
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2021, 09:41:12 am »
I am intersex.. I have a genotype of 46XX:46XY.. a true chimera... this means that some of my cells are 'male' and some are 'female'.. and so, some organs are differentiated as such too..
But, in reality.. it makes no difference. I was 'eventually' assigned male at 2 years old.. I had surgeries done to affirm this.. and I went through a 'male' puberty..
My genetics does not make my gender.. if I was 46XY I would still be female.. confusing medical conditions such as intersex genetics with gender.. is the same as confusing sexuality with gender...

I am intersex, I deal with the medical issues that it causes me daily.. as my condition predisposes you to tumours and other rare conditions.  The scars from the surgery at 18 months old are obvious and have pained me for most of my life. I have had to take hormones for most of my adult life.. and none of this has anything to do with 'who' I am or what gender I am. It is simply I did not 'fit' into the standard biological definition of binary sex.

Being the perfect genetic twin system.. 50% male and 50% female.. I could argue my biology to be either sex.. truth is it is a mix and always will be.. but my gender.. now that is not mixed.. so I consider myself to be just simply female with some interesting genetics. I really don't understand intersex being used as a 'reason' for gender or anything that should be considered affirming one binary over another..

I certainly understand the feelings behind the position, but I don’t think it is possible to know for sure whether there is a causal relationship.  I understand and agree that ultimately, causation doesn’t change reality.  You are transgender, regardless why.  But, given the extremely high percentage of intersex people who are transgender (much higher than our cis brothers and sisters), I cannot help but to wonder whether whatever creates gender is somehow causing intersex people to be assigned wrong more often.

And, I am not 100% sure that someone 50:50 can really be “transgender”, though I certainly identify with your experience. As you pointed out, you are genetically as much one as the other, so whereas you gender is opposite of that which they guessed and chose for you, it was a 50:50 shot at the outset.

I am not saying that you are more a woman than the rest of us, but I don’t think that gender and sex are unrelated.  I think that 90 something percent of the time, sex determines gender.  I think there is something biological going on in ALL of us that narrows the possibility of what gender we will ultimately develop.  It may not be an absolute assignment, but I think for 90 something percent of people there is a biological determination of gender, for some it isn’t biologically determined.  But, I suspect that even among us who are transgender, it (our gender orientation) is generally hard wired into our neurology.  How it gets that way is the subject of research even as we speak.  We may never know for sure, but there is mounting evidence to support the theory.

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2021, 11:07:52 am »
I am constantly surprised how much easier it is to socially interact with others when I present female.
Obviously I don't know how much is learned from observation but I'll often realized I've done something instinctively and gotten the proper response from someone else before I've had any time to think about it.

Marion

Offline Blueday14

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2021, 09:48:41 pm »
I am intersex 47 xxy. I found out at 36 yrs while my wife and I were going through infertility treatments. Learning of this cleared up a lot of questions about myself. I was put on testosterone at that time which increased my energy and got rid of my never ending depression, I still experience depression from time to time but not as deep. Being intersex is a weird experience, I seemingly don’t age on the outside yet I have osteoporosis. I was always thin until I started taking testosterone, now I gain weight easily and lose it with great effort. I am more emotional then most men but I don’t see that as a negative.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2021, 08:45:33 am »
Good morning Blueday14,

I see that this is your first post here and I want to extend to you our official Susan's Place welcome. We are a website for support and discussion of all types of gender related issues. We have many members here who are underage and we strive hard to keep Susan's Place Family Friendly. We have rules on what we can talk about and these rules are listed in the Terms of Service. I will post links below to the Terms of Service and other important information.

Also, if you have a minute, please consider stopping by the Introductions Forum and tell us a little about yourself.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Things that you should read

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Rachel

• Family
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2021, 06:50:39 pm »
So it has been about a year and a half since I first posted this thread.

How do I see myself now? I am intersex but I do not consider myself intersexed. I consider myself female ( I am post op for years now). Others see me as female, guys see me as female and I see me as female.

I wish things were different. I wish I had help when I was young. I did not and that is that. I could have taken things into my own hands as I planned and plotted but I did not. I waited until I had to transition and pick up all the pieces the best I could.

I understand the pain and suffering. I was one of the lucky ones and I survived. I will do my best to make see the collateral beauty even if the skies are gray.

Rachel
MTF in need of help link https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,133631.1980.html
MTF in need of help 2 link https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,251825.0.html
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.

Offline Robbie

• Visitor
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2021, 03:31:46 am »
Many things went unexplained during my teens as I was undiagnosed Klinefelter  Syndrome . Super late puberty puffy nipples , long limbs I was swim team and took a lot of ribbing from team mates. Went through adult as a cross dresser as there wasn't really the transgender thing in my era and area. About the time I hit 60 my body started to change some breasts started to grow and hurt and I went in for some tests my hormones where strange very high fsh and lh very low free testosterone and low dhea  that's when we discovered XXY. While that doesn't make me trans my body always wanted to be a woman and as soon as I started hrt  everything made sense and I felt at home with myself. Super fast transition so far 6 months and lots of change. I love being a woman in this head and body.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2021, 05:00:43 am »
Good morning Robbie,

I noticed that this is your first post and I want to officially welcome you to Susan's Place.

We are a website for support and discussion of all types of gender related issues. We have many members here who are underage and we strive hard to keep Susan's Place Family Friendly. We have rules on what we can talk about and these rules are listed in the Terms of Service. I will post links below to the Terms of Service and other important information.

Also, if you have a minute, please consider stopping by the Introductions Forum and tell us a little about yourself.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.

Offline Robbie

• Visitor
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2021, 01:37:23 pm »
Thank you Rakel  for the support and info

Offline ooBobbi

• Visitor
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2021, 03:29:57 am »
After years of confusion and wondering about my sex/gender, I have finally concluded that I maaaay be intersex.  I was born with male genitalia, but even at a very early age, like just past toddler, I was always tucking it back and under because it didn't belong on me, at least in my mind and I hated it.  I was making bikinis for myself at those early ages too, and I would always wear short shorts and even model for some of my guy friends.  I have to consider, would a MAN do these things? Would a MAN be concerned with wearing bikinis?  Would a MAN feel completely comfortable and natural wearing stockings, skirts, bras, panties?  So I had to consider that at least in my brain, something in my brain, my wiring, my pathways, my chemicals - something was always pulling me to the female aspects and feeling feminine.  And at those young ages I wasn't even aware of gender or sex. I just considered myself a guy because I had that penis, but was always acting out as a female without even realizing it. I never thought about it, it was just natural to me.  It wasn't until later ages that I became more aware that I simply wasn't like the men around me, that I didn't look like them in frame and build and didn't think like them either.  Not to mention that I always, in the back of my mind, knew that these boobs I had were an oddity, but I now remember, as a kid, looking down at my boobs, which were at that time, more like larger mounds with hard perky nipples but somehow I just always wrote it off and shrugged it off and thought hmm, I wonder why my chest is different than my guy friends?  But i never lingered on it or thought of it in any depth, until later on in life, and the boobs kept growing.  Fortunately for me, because I have definitely a gruffer looking face, though rounded and slighter than that of a mans, the boobs didn't grow past a large B cup.  I cannot wear just a tshirt because I get all kinds of looks, so i wear a tight tshirt which compresses the boobs and I always wear a second over-shirt that is a size too large for me as this helps to conceal them.

But in my early 20's, for some odd reason, I began to lactate.  Then I started noticing that it was difficult to become muscular, even when lifting weights.  My arms were still somewhat long and thin, my legs were always thin and sort of feminine shaped and pushing weights with my legs only made them more shapely, not more bulky.  I never grew normal body hair, my body hair was always thinner and more sparse, especially on my legs where i have very little, almost none at all.  None on my back or butt either.  I have fully developed boobs that grew naturally.  And yet, I have male characteristics too.  I have a wider upper torso and shoulders.  My shoulder muscles and those around my back are a bit thicker, like a guys would be.  Yet I have this smaller frame and a bit curvy from my mid section down.  I have always had a smaller than normal penis and really small gonads, sometimes, for whatever reason, the gonads will virtually disappear and become nothing more than a couple of small little mounds that barely protrude.  Add to that, a puffy V shaped pelvis that looks nothing like that of a mans.

All of these conditions lead me to THINK that I may be intersex.  I cannot be sure, as I have not seen a doctor and have not got any testing done.  But I seem to be part guy, part girl.  And from what I have read about the intersexed, It seems like many share similar conditions.

There is absolutely nothing I can do about any of it.  I have feminine days where I feel soooo female and it's overwhelming.  Then there are days when I feel more male.  I have come to just accept that I have male days and I have female days.  I figure this has to do with bodily or brain chemistry or something. 

But the whole point is, that it seems like I am a mix of both sexes and I have to just accept that for myself.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2021, 05:46:38 am »

Good morning ooBobbi,

I noticed that this is your first post and I want to officially welcome you to Susan's Place.

We are a website for support and discussion of all types of gender related issues. We have many members here who are underage and we strive hard to keep Susan's Place Family Friendly. We have rules on what we can talk about and these rules are listed in the Terms of Service. I will post links below to the Terms of Service and other important information.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Offline Rachel

• Family
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2021, 05:28:39 pm »
I had my kerio type taken probably back in 2015. My Y looked almost like an X. In females they have two X ; however, one X is silenced. If it is partially silenced than there are immune system issues.

I then had my entire genome sequenced and compared to 20,000 genetic studies. I am mosaic and I have a lot of gene polymorphisms on 5 alpha reductase and dehydrogenase.  These enzymes are responsible for converting  T and E to alternate forms and back again.

When Dr. McGinn examined me she said, "you know you are intersexed". After GCS she said my anatomy is very different. I do know I could empty my balder fully for the first time in my life.  It was much worse but I had an operation at age 12 that helped.

I am in a relationship with a nonbinary woman. She chose to be female and acts female around males and male around me. I am very female, it is just me. I thought I was heterosexual. Now I guess I am bisexual. My girlfriend and I go to parties and we will be with lots of guys and with each other. I love being with her and she me. I do not know what sexuality I am but this relationship feels right.

I and my girlfriend are Poly. It took me a lifetime to realize I am poly and bisexual and should be with someone that is like me. It works very well. I love being with her.

I am trans, my girlfriend is trans. She is 5'4" and very beautiful. She is very much male with me.

So what does this have to do with being intersexed. Well, I was wondering it this common or the exception with intersexed persons?  I see myself as female 100%. I feel 100% female. I am with a nonbinary trans female that says she is not trans. We are post op. She considers me as her girlfriend and I consider her my girlfriend. We love each other and it feels right. Do other intersexed persons eventually find the right fit relationship with others that are poly, bisexual trans people? 

I do know she is extremely bright as well as our girlfriend Melissia.

I am who I am and I was wondering if my relationship choices are similar to others that are intersexed?

HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn

Offline mm

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2021, 06:41:30 pm »
Very interesting Rachel, you both can learn from each other at so many different levels and areas in your lives.

Tags: XXY from birth