Author Topic: Google Workers Protest Conservative Thinker On AI Board  (Read 1300 times)

Offline AnneK

Google Workers Protest Conservative Thinker On AI Board
« on: April 03, 2019, 05:55:01 am »
On Monday, a group of anonymous Google employees published an open letter, demanding the tech giant pull the appointment of Kay Cole James, the president of the Heritage Foundation, from an AI advisory board, over her alleged anti-trans, anti-gay views.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/367540/google-workers-protest-conservative-thinker-on-ai-board?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=whatsnewnow&utm_medium=title[/url

PC Mag
By
Michael Kan
April 1, 2019 5:32PM EST
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:11:58 pm by stephaniec »
I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.

Ann W

Re: Google Workers Protest Conservative Thinker On AI Board
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 09:08:39 pm »
I agree with Joanna Bryson. Silencing points of view that disagree with ours is stupid.

Online AnonyMs

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 09:18:57 pm »
Some views need to be silenced, otherwise ours will. It's known as the Paradox of Tolerance.

The paradox of tolerance states that if a society is tolerant without limit, its ability to be tolerant is eventually seized or destroyed by the intolerant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

Offline Haley Conner

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 08:52:01 am »
The mission of the Heritage Foundation is to silence and undermine the voices and rights of the LGBT community, so imo, they do not deserve to be heard.  I always say, a persons liberty extends only as far as it encroaches on the liberty of another.  The heritage foundation wants to move that line for LGBTs.

Michelle_P

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 02:51:24 pm »
Google’s AI work includes stuff for personnel decisions, HR support, and some experimental work on medical diagnostics.

I am not entirely sure I want a representative of the Heritage Foundation having any input for this sort of work.

Offline Matinaz

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 08:50:23 pm »
It is important information.

Offline KathyLauren

• Casting off dull certainty
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 08:42:17 am »
Hi, Matinaz!

Welcome to Susan's Place.

Please feel free to stop by the Introductions forum to tell the members about yourself.  Here is some information that we like to share with new members:

Things that you should read

2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly, beginning full-time; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2019-10-18 Phone consultation for GRS; 2020-03-11 GRS!; 2020-09-30 New birth certificate

Offline Complete

• Friend
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 12:35:28 pm »
The mission of the Heritage Foundation is to silence and undermine the voices and rights of the LGBT community, so imo, they do not deserve to be heard.  I always say, a persons liberty extends only as far as it encroaches on the liberty of another.  The heritage foundation wants to move that line for LGBTs.

I see this as a very parochial and highly misleading and intolerant statement.

summary
A guide to building an America where freedom, opportunity, prosperity, and civil society flourish.

Copied from the Heritage Fndn.  website
The Heritage Foundation formulates policies that promote free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense. Heritage does not support policies that deviate from these principles, nor are our recommendations ever influenced by donations or outside political pressure.
1) The federal government exists to preserve life, liberty and property, and it is instituted to protect the rights of individuals according to natural law. Among these rights are the sanctity of life; the freedom of speech, religion, the press, and assembly; the right to bear arms; the right of individuals to be treated equally and justly under the law; and to enjoy the fruits of ones labor.
Yes. This is what I look like :-*

Offline zirconia

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 11:35:45 pm »
Hi, AnonyMs

Some views need to be silenced, otherwise ours will. It's known as the Paradox of Tolerance.

Thanks... the link finally gave me the source. I see the paraphrase is from philosopher Karl Popper's 1945 The Open Society and Its Enemies.

As his personal philosophical view it's of course as valid as any concept proposed by any other philosopher. However, the weaponization I've seen lately has made me personally very uncomfortable.

Wielded skillfully the concept seems ideal for expanding any group's influence ad infinitum by simply using the following loop:
  • Proclaim lofty progressive ideals
  • Claim to be suffering of discrimination
  • Claim opponents to be intolerant
  • Establish that their intolerance is the type that is intolerable
  • Repeat
Given time and patience this makes it possible to silence all opposition.

I wonder how many of those who brandish it also base the rest of their ideology and conduct on the entirety of Popper's work. Doesn't not doing so somewhat resemble using a single cherry picked bible verse to support one's own agenda?

Offline Complete

• Friend
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 10:04:33 am »
Hi, AnonyMs

Thanks... the link finally gave me the source. I see the paraphrase is from philosopher Karl Popper's 1945 The Open Society and Its Enemies.

As his personal philosophical view it's of course as valid as any concept proposed by any other philosopher. However, the weaponization I've seen lately has made me personally very uncomfortable.

Wielded skillfully the concept seems ideal for expanding any group's influence ad infinitum by simply using the following loop:
  • Proclaim lofty progressive ideals
  • Claim to be suffering of discrimination
  • Claim opponents to be intolerant
  • Establish that their intolerance is the type that is intolerable
  • Repeat
Given time and patience this makes it possible to silence all opposition.

I wonder how many of those who brandish it also base the rest of their ideology and conduct on the entirety of Popper's work. Doesn't not doing so somewhat resemble using a single cherry picked bible verse to support one's own agenda?

Excellent observation. Would that so many here, might understand and consider the import of what you have pointed out.

Offline Karen_A

• Friend
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 10:28:35 am »
Excellent observation. Would that so many here, might understand and consider the import of what you have pointed out.

I think you are older than I, but while I was very young then, I can remember the some of the early 60s (which were a hangover from the 50s) and the consequences of conservative thought on society as whole that the 60's was a rebellion against...

So I do believe there some parts of conservative/far right wing idealogy that are too dangerous to be allowed to gain ascendancy again.

If you remember the 50's I don't see how, particularly being TS, you could disagree with that.

Younger people don't really understand how society was , and could be again, but us older folks have seen enough to have some idea.

-Karen

Offline Joelene9

• Astronomer
  • M-F Transsexual blossoming
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 03:37:15 pm »
Tolerance is that. That includes tolerating the intolerant. That also means to have strength to counter the intolerant. Those who are weak will be ruled by the intolerant. Limiting tolerance will only bring on more and more new rules over time until there is no such thing. Google should talk. Try googling some things and getting nowhere. Then try googling the same thing from a different URL or Zip code of a different demographic, you'll get a different result.

Joelene

Offline Complete

• Friend
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 05:18:52 pm »
Tolerance is that. That includes tolerating the intolerant. That also means to have strength to counter the intolerant. Those who are weak will be ruled by the intolerant. Limiting tolerance will only bring on more and more new rules over time until there is no such thing. Google should talk. Try googling some things and getting nowhere. Then try googling the same thing from a different URL or Zip code of a different demographic, you'll get a different result.

Joelene

So I guess that means that if you hate the current administration in the US, you support Google and all the other media platforms supporting the Resistance and muzzling supporters.
Sounds like a fast track to tyranny

Offline Joelene9

• Astronomer
  • M-F Transsexual blossoming
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2019, 12:13:48 pm »
So I guess that means that if you hate the current administration in the US, you support Google and all the other media platforms supporting the Resistance and muzzling supporters.
Sounds like a fast track to tyranny
Quite the opposite! I do not support Google and those who shunt tolerance in any way. Our media system is a mess. Tolerance does not mean support. It is when words go into a bad action or a threat of a bad action that goes wrong that is bad. Being a tolerant but a firm and honest society may sway those with bad intentions to do the opposite. That means that in politics and in the workplace.

Jolene

Offline MistressStevie

• Neighbor
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2019, 01:45:21 pm »
We live in a marketplace of ideas, philosophies, and practices.   To live in that world sanely we must be able to adopt, or at least tolerate, both sides of a dichotomy.  For example: It is essential to believe my good example will influence others positively, but when it does not, I cannot withdraw or berate myself.   

Of late our our increasingly winner take all political discourse is ignoring the fundamental dictum of good politics making sure everybody gets a slice of the pie.   Engaging those with whom we disagree is falling out of fashion sadly.  This puts all participants in the position that their idea triumphs but in a possibly smaller and smaller bubble.  Independent of the other's position, if we believe the ultimate wisdom of our position, defending it politely and firmly strengthens it. 

The ideas that scare me the most are those most exclusionary of discussion, debate, or dissension for I may be but a slight misstep from being on the next excluded list not matter how popular the current strategies are.     

Offline Complete

• Friend
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 02:19:42 pm »
Quite the opposite! I do not support Google and those who shunt tolerance in any way. Our media system is a mess. Tolerance does not mean support. It is when words go into a bad action or a threat of a bad action that goes wrong that is bad. Being a tolerant but a firm and honest society may sway those with bad intentions to do the opposite. That means that in politics and in the workplace.

Jolene

Thank you. Zirconnia pointed this out to me in a PM and pointed out my now obvious misinterpretation of your words.
I stand happily corrected.  :D :D :D

Offline Reelman

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2020, 10:32:51 am »
Unbelievable how polarizing things are getting. If we continue this way, the extremes will pull so hard the middle of our society is just going to rip open.

Offline Sinclair

• Pretty in Pink
  • Friend
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 09:09:39 pm »

The paradox of tolerance states that if a society is tolerant without limit, its ability to be tolerant is eventually seized or destroyed by the intolerant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

That would be the end of our Republic. No Views need to be silenced, they need to be discussed and debated. My question to you is who is being intolerant when one wishes to stamp out opposing views? Sure, we could go the China route and put in a government that will not tolerate opposing views, and end up with things like the COVID-19 virus. The reason our country (USA) is special is that we tolerate all views, and debate them, and find some reasonable resolution to disagreements. We don't need a one view dictatorship. Many will die because China has a policy of tolerance with limits. They set the limits, no discussion, no debate, no compromise.

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 09:28:19 pm »
Unbelievable how polarizing things are getting. If we continue this way, the extremes will pull so hard the middle of our society is just going to rip open.

@Reelman
Dear Reelman
    I am pleased to see that you have signed up as a member of Susan's Place and have submitted your first posting. 

As you post here on the forums you will be able to exchange thoughts and comments with others that are experiencing many of the same things that you wrote about.

This is the right place for you to be to find out what others may have to say that may have been in your circumstances and with your questions and concerns.
    There are a lot of members here that will be able to identify with your situation as you continue to feel free to share it.

I want to warmly WELCOME you to Susan's Place
You will find this a safe and friendly place to share with others and to read about others similar trials, tribulations, and successes.

As you are certainly aware you can share with others and involve yourself with some give and take with other like-minded members.  When frustrated or if you have successes you can share it here if you wish and receive support from others and offer support to others. ....
     ***There is a very good chance that you might find that you will make some new like-minded friends here. 

Please come in and continue to be involved at your own pace.   Other members will be along shortly to give you their thoughts about your questions and concerns that you mentioned in your very first posting.

There is information and important LINKS that I have included below.   You will find information about the site that will help you navigate around and best utilize the features here.   
Please look closely at the LINKS in RED, answers are there to many questions that new members ask....

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place.
Danielle

Here are some links to the site rules and stuff that all new members should be familiar with:

Things that you should read
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2020, 09:28:34 pm »
@Reelman
Dear Reelman:

If you feel so inclined please feel free to stop by the Introductions Forum to tell more members about yourself!

With more exposure to more members here you will be able to get more responses to your questions and concerns.

Wishing your well as you continue to be involved in the forums.

NOTE: Now, after all of this Greeting and Welcoming stuff, I will give you other readers the thread back so you all can continue to exchange thoughts and comments with other members.

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place.
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Tags: