Author Topic: Jenner withdraws support for Trump  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Haley Conner

Jenner withdraws support for Trump
« on: April 06, 2019, 09:41:37 am »
This is from 2018, so probably old news: " Caitlyn Jenner said in a column in The Washington Post that she no longer supported President Trump. The blunt rebuke came after news broke that the Trump administration was considering narrowly defining gender as a biological condition determined by a person’s genitalia at birth. "

Offline Jessica

• I love you. No...... I might not know you, but if folk can hate for no good reason, I can love.
Re: Jenner withdraws support for Trump
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 12:06:57 pm »
:police: As this is a political topic, I must remind everyone to be respectful :police:

Thank you, Jessica
Global Moderator

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

Online Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 04:43:04 pm »
I'd say I'm in the same boat as Caitlyn, I voted Republican across the board, but I'm not impressed with the about-face he's done on LGBTIQ+ issues. Obviously some of it is just bluster to get votes from our wonderful friends, Southern Baptists.  The second biggest problem is career politicians in the House and Senate. Presidents are short term blips on the radar.

<edit by moderator>
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 06:10:02 pm by Jessica »
Veteran, US Army

Offline Jessica

• I love you. No...... I might not know you, but if folk can hate for no good reason, I can love.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 06:12:26 pm »
:police: That’s two edits already! :police:

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

Offline Lady Sarah

• Yes, it's another Sarah
  • Family
  • I love my hubby
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 07:03:46 pm »
I thought she would have rebuked Trump within year one of his presidency. The attacks on us have been horrific, and will likely continue to be horrific until we get a new president and vice president.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 08:51:14 pm »
I think that it is very nice to see Caitlyn be woman enough to change her mind!  ;)

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Nebulous

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 11:08:15 am »
I'd say I'm in the same boat as Caitlyn, I voted Republican across the board, but I'm not impressed with the about-face he's done on LGBTIQ+ issues. Obviously some of it is just bluster to get votes from our wonderful friends, Southern Baptists.  The second biggest problem is career politicians in the House and Senate. Presidents are short term blips on the radar.

<edit by moderator>

I’m experiencing the same internal conflict- I’m a small to no government libertarian so, I often drift to the Republican tickets/candidates. However, given the recent anti trans policy changes( ie. naval academy ban) and rhetoric, I think a Biden(the likely nominee) win next year could be a blessing in disguise. This isn’t necessarily my preferred outcome, however I’m finding it difficult to support the current administration.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 11:47:57 am »
I’m a small to no government libertarian so

I have a real problem with that sort of position.  The government should be able to help all the citizens, not just the privileged few.  Take a look at what's happen recently, not just with attacks on LGBQT, but also the environment, health care, the poor etc., where the attitude seems to be "I have mine and too bad for you", with more and more driven into poverty, attacks on Mexicans, Muslims, etc.  Is that really the world you want to live in?  We NEED the government to provide protections for us and more.  Or would you rather be back in the days that Dickens wrote about?  Without government, you can be sure we'd have anarchy, as happens in other parts of the world.  Good luck being LGBQT then.

I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.

Nebulous

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 11:56:38 am »
I have a real problem with that sort of position.  The government should be able to help all the citizens, not just the privileged few.  Take a look at what's happen recently, not just with attacks on LGBQT, but also the environment, health care, the poor etc., where the attitude seems to be "I have mine and too bad for you", with more and more driven into poverty, attacks on Mexicans, Muslims, etc.  Is that really the world you want to live in?  We NEED the government to provide protections for us and more.  Or would you rather be back in the days that Dickens wrote about?  Without government, you can be sure we'd have anarchy, as happens in other parts of the world.  Good luck being LGBQT then.

The issues/concerns stated above describe anarchy, not libertarianism which are vastly different. Most libertarians including myself believe that the idea of no government is ideal but not realistic and instead strive for small government...aka minarchy. Ironically, big government is used just as much by the right as it is by the left as an agenda pushing tool.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 11:58:49 am »
:police: As this is a political topic, I must remind everyone once again to be respectfull :police:

Thank you, Jessica
Global Moderator

Offline AnneK

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 12:21:26 pm »
The issues/concerns stated above describe anarchy, not libertarianism which are vastly different. Most libertarians including myself believe that the idea of no government is ideal but not realistic and instead strive for small government...aka minarchy. Ironically, big government is used just as much by the right as it is by the left as an agenda pushing tool.

In my experience, cutting government tends to mean cutting things that benefit the bulk of the population.  One example would be how Trump cut medicaid, but gave billions in tax cuts to Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway.  In Ontario, we got a conservative government last year, that was supposed to be "for the people".  We've seen pretty much non stop cuts to important and even essential services, while ensuring the wealthy got tax cuts.  Is that what you mean by small government, ensuring the wealthy get wealthier, at the expense of the average person?  This is not the first time I've seen conservative governments do so much damage.  The Republicans in the U.S. and Conservatives in Canada, are not what they were decades ago, when they did much to help people and the environment on both sides of the border.  Take a look at recent attacks on the environment.  Who would ensure appropriate laws are in place with a minimal government, even if one that's not hostile to such things?  Who would help ensure people can afford heath care?  What about the education system?  I'm not saying we need a government has to be into everything, but the current trend to small government only benefits those who already have power.  We'd be back in the days of a few centuries ago, where the nobility had virtually everything, at the expense of the population, who were struggling to survive.  History has proven that is the only likely outcome.

I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 12:38:04 pm »
:police:  Let’s try to keep the conversation to transgender issues.  :police:

There are so many political views that can be had that it would be far better if we work together trying to solve the issues we as a membership here are challenged with.
There are better sites that you can discuss non-transgender political issues.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 12:38:27 pm »
Incidentally, here's an example of the kind on nonsense our current Ontario government has come up with.  In order to combat climate change the federal government gave the the provinces the opportunity to come up with a way to reduce carbon emissions.  The previous Ontario government chose to implement a "cap and trade" system or leave it to the federal government to put on a fee on carbon sources, which would be rebated to the population.  If you use less, you have money in the pocket.  If you use more, it will cost you.  Instead of remaining with cap & trade, the new Premier scraped it and came up with this nonsense to attack the federal plan.  He is using tax dollars to print these stickers for his political message and then forcing gas stations, under threat of heavy fine, to put the stickers on the gas pumps.  This is from the "for the people" guy, who is opposed to anything that gets in the way of business.  This is what "Conservative" means in Ontario these days.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/political-opinion/2019/08/17/doug-ford-is-taking-motorists-for-a-ride-with-gas-pump-stickers.html

Nebulous

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 12:41:49 pm »
In my experience, cutting government tends to mean cutting things that benefit the bulk of the population.  One example would be how Trump cut medicaid, but gave billions in tax cuts to Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway.  In Ontario, we got a conservative government last year, that was supposed to be "for the people".  We've seen pretty much non stop cuts to important and even essential services, while ensuring the wealthy got tax cuts.  Is that what you mean by small government, ensuring the wealthy get wealthier, at the expense of the average person?  This is not the first time I've seen conservative governments do so much damage.  The Republicans in the U.S. and Conservatives in Canada, are not what they were decades ago, when they did much to help people and the environment on both sides of the border.  Take a look at recent attacks on the environment.  Who would ensure appropriate laws are in place with a minimal government, even if one that's not hostile to such things?  Who would help ensure people can afford heath care?  What about the education system?  I'm not saying we need a government has to be into everything, but the current trend to small government only benefits those who already have power.  We'd be back in the days of a few centuries ago, where the nobility had virtually everything, at the expense of the population, who were struggling to survive.  History has proven that is the only likely outcome.

Your points are all well and good, but to quote Thomas Jefferson:

"If your government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have."

Offline Jessica

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 12:53:30 pm »
:police:  topic locked  :police:

The topic is of how a transgender woman is dealing with her vote at the polls.

Political discourse can become very impassioned and turn ugly.  We will be avoiding that.

15. Items under discussion shall be confined to the subject matter at hand. Members shall avoid taking the other users posts personally, and/or posting anything that can reasonably be construed as a personal attack.

Tags: