Community Conversation > Military Veterans Confab

Experiences with the VA

<< < (3/3)

Bea1968:
You can use VA services even if not retired or have service related injury?

Colleen_definitely:
It seems that you can be eligible if you served for at least 24 months active or did a reserve/guard call up and have a discharge of any type other than dishonorable.  Coverage seems to be based on income if you aren't service connected, former POW, or have an enemy marksmanship medal award.

I looked for a straight answer on the VA page but the best I could find was more or less "stop by, apply, and we'll tell you!"

Katie V:

--- Quote from: Colleen_definitely on May 02, 2019, 11:12:14 am ---It seems that you can be eligible if you served for at least 24 months active or did a reserve/guard call up and have a discharge of any type other than dishonorable.  Coverage seems to be based on income if you aren't service connected, former POW, or have an enemy marksmanship medal award.

I looked for a straight answer on the VA page but the best I could find was more or less "stop by, apply, and we'll tell you!"

--- End quote ---

That's what I did after having coverage became mandated with ObamaCare.  I couldn't afford insurance so I signed up with VA and was accepted.

Rakel:

--- Quote from: Colleen_definitely on May 02, 2019, 11:12:14 am --- or have an enemy marksmanship medal award.

--- End quote ---

It is OK to say Purple Heart here.

--- Quote ---I looked for a straight answer on the VA page but the best I could find was more or less "stop by, apply, and we'll tell you!"

--- End quote ---

The eligibility rules keep changing depending on Congress, Court rulings and VA interpretation of existing policy guidelines. VA eligibility is a very complex subject. You need to visit a VA facility to get the latest interpretation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version