Community Conversation > Legal Matters

Is it possible to change your name while living in a different state? (PA)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Devlyn:

--- Quote from: jryd on May 15, 2019, 04:06:51 pm ---sorry if this is the wrong forum, but idk where else to look or ask

I was born in/currently live in Pennsylvania. After quitting my job I've decided within the next couple of months I'm moving west to vegas with a sister and start anew (more opportunities there, done with living in such a small town and dealing with small town life, plus my sister hasn't seen me in 12 years, started hrt in 2014 so im sure I'll look way different to her lol). I can't wait because my sister and I are on somewhat of a time frame with me moving over there (getting living arrangements settled, and dealing with her family as well). And I believe in PA it would take months to complete the process. So I didn't want to start the process, find out it would take months, and push back me moving.

What I want to know is, is it possible for me to change my name while living in vegas. I've been lurking and I saw someone said they could hire a lawyer to represent them (but idk what state it was and it was also 7 years ago).

I'm not sure what options I have, because PA doesn't have much info on it other than how to do it in person.

Whatever info you guys have is appreciated thank you.

--- End quote ---

It doesn't look like it. https://www.susans.org/wiki/Changing_legal_name_in_the_US

Edit to add: I did my name change in Massachusetts and I believe it was 99 days from application to recieving the court order in the mail.

jryd:
@Linde so if i got my residency in nevada, I could get my name changed there instead of doing it prior to me leaving PA?
 @Devlyn damn, well thank you. i may have to delay my move then

sorry im not sure how to properly @ people

Colleen_definitely:
If you become a resident of Nevada you can change your name there. It doesn't have anything to do with where your were born or anything like that. All that matters is that your do the name change where you live.

Linde:

--- Quote from: jryd on May 15, 2019, 06:13:33 pm ---@Linde so if i got my residency in nevada, I could get my name changed there instead of doing it prior to me leaving PA?
 @Devlyn damn, well thank you. i may have to delay my move then

sorry im not sure how to properly @ people

--- End quote ---
I was born in Germany, lived half of my life in Minnesconsin, and live now in Florida.  I did my legal name change in Florida.

StacyRenee:
Most states require 3 months to establish residency, some 6 months. After established, you file your name change in the courts with that state. Lawyers aren't necessary, but can make the process easier. After legal name change is done, then you can see about changing your birth certificate from PA.

Side note, once your gotten a driver's license with Real ID, you don't need to show all of the proof required again. I got my Real ID (indicated by a star in a circle) then changed my name. I didn't need to have a matching birth certificate, just the court ordered name change.

Gender marker for driver's license and birth certificate requirements vary by state. I recommend the website for NCTE for each state's requirements.

https://transequality.org/documents

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version