Community Conversation > Legal Matters

Dr office wont stop calling me male pronouns and has it on my chart as male.

<< < (2/5) > >>

itsApril:
Good afternoon, MySaures!

Hi!  I'm in California, too.  But luckily I don't have this problem.  My docs are GREAT about this stuff.

You have raised this problem with various staff folks at the office, but to no avail.  My first suggestion is this: Write a letter directly to the doctor himself/herself, asking to correct the problem with the staff.  The doc may not know this problem exists and he/she is in a position of authority to correct his/her subordinates.  Maybe that will solve the problem.  If not . . .

California medical practitioners are regulated by a California state agency, the Medical Board of California (MBC).  The Board has a complaint process you can access here:

http://www.mbc.ca.gov/Consumers/Complaints/

Complaints must be in writing, and they can be filed by mail, by fax, or online.  The link above contains a button you can click to initiate the online complaint filing process.

While lots of complaints to the MBC involve really dangerous issues regarding practitioners (like sexual abuse, drug or alcohol impaired practice, or practice by unqualified/unlicensed practitioners), there is one area of complaint that seems to fit your problem:

"•Office Practice Issues (e.g., failure to provide medical records to patient, failure to sign death certificate, patient abandonment)"

So you might want to file an "office practice issue" complaint with MBC regarding your doctor's recordkeeping problems.  In general, medical practitioners in California are alert and sophisticated regarding trans issues compared to those in other states.  I'm sorry that you are dealing with a throwback.

I can readily sympathize with the point Maid Marion raises.  Who needs this?  Your healthcare is supposed to make you feel BETTER, not WORSE!  Your doctor and his/her support staff should be alert to your needs and treat you with respect.  Unless you are - for some reason - highly attached to this doctor, you might want to explore alternatives.  (By the way, if you DO change doctors, your former doctor's office is obligated by law to release all of your medical records to your NEW doctor, to make sure that the new doc has access to all the info he/she needs to address your health needs.)

Even if you do end up changing doctors, I suggest sending a letter to your doc explaining your decision and filing an MBC office practice complaint on the way out.  That way, your doc is on notice of the problem.  Hopefully he/she can correct this issue so it doesn't cause the same problem with future trans patients.

Lady Sarah:
I have dealt with similar at my doctor office. They referred to me as female, yet put male on prescriptions and such. I got that remedied quick.

After 3 years of it, you must be a very patient person. You could bring it up again with your doctor with an ultimatum: "either address me as a woman, or I will find another doctor". If that changes nothing, find another doctor. Some of them are stubborn as a mule, and won't stop.

Meghan:

--- Quote from: Lady Sarah on May 20, 2019, 10:28:19 pm ---I have dealt with similar at my doctor office. They referred to me as female, yet put male on prescriptions and such. I got that remedied quick.

After 3 years of it, you must be a very patient person. You could bring it up again with your doctor with an ultimatum: "either address me as a woman, or I will find another doctor". If that changes nothing, find another doctor. Some of them are stubborn as a mule, and won't stop.

--- End quote ---
My Medical team knows about my medical transition and always talking to me as Megan,  even though my medical records still show as Male for legal insurance purposes only.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

KateR:

--- Quote from: Maid Marion on May 19, 2019, 02:03:42 pm ---I'd find another doctor.  Seriously.  My biggest health issue is stress.

--- End quote ---
Yes I agree, find another provider.

I'm early in transition.  I've come out to my PCP, who helped me find an endocrinologist.  Both have told me when I'm ready to change my gender marker to let them know.  Both refer to me as her.  (And that has taken some getting used to.  I hear it and don’t immediately recognize that the reference is to me.)

My endocrinologist works for the health system that has treated me for the last 25 years.  She indicated that she will also help me get the marker changed throughout the health system.

There are people (providers) who care enough to get it right.

Kate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Linde:
I had to call the health insurance the other day, because of question, and they used my new name but called me Mr.  I asked why that is, and they told me they get the info from Medicare, and I am Mr. with new, female name, there.

Medicare draws the information right out from the Social Security files.  So, I called there, and they told me hat I am Female in their files, and Medicare must have made a mistake, but she filled the form to correct it out while I was on the phone.  This was about 3 weeks ago.  I had to call the insurance yesterday again, and they still  call me Mr.  I asked the person to please check with Medicare, and she told me that I am still male in the Medicare file!
which means, on Monday i have to deal wit SS again to make sure the other person did put the change in.

I am now in the ridicules situation that I am female for SS, male for Medicare, and my health care providers, female for the State of Florida, for the USA and for Germany/EU.

t sure is not easy to change anything in gov't systems!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version