News and Events > Science & Medical News

Doctors may soon be legally able to refuse to treat trans people

(1/9) > >>

Jessica:
Doctors May Soon Be Legally Able to Refuse to Treat Trans People

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qv7zax/doctors-may-soon-be-legally-able-to-refuse-to-treat-trans-people?utm_source=vicefbus&fbclid=IwAR2tqBTsx6XQLCg4eZ2tCd5pDUfDw54l-Gh2sP-peGqOmYpqy7_mCURcc5Q

Identity
|
by Diana Tourjée
|
May 24 2019, 1:54pm

Hiii:
Firstly...
Doctor's shouldn't refuse treatment to certain groups of people.

But can they refuse to perform certain treatments? (Presumably due to religious reasons)
E.g. abortions or GRS
Nb: probably irrelevant for the average Dr...

MikaelaA:
With decades of court precedence in favor of transgender people, I'm sure there will be a federal judge somewhere along the way that puts an injunction on this ruling and will be tied up in courts for a while.

Zumbagirl:
Quote from: LexiLex on October 07, 2019, 12:40:23 pm

With decades of court precedence in favor of transgender people, I'm sure there will be a federal judge somewhere along the way that puts an injunction on this ruling and will be tied up in courts for a while.

I actually support this but not for the reasons you think. I don't believe anyone should be forced to do anything for another person and that includes medicine. Let's be honest what are we talking about a handful of doctors in the US and suddenly it's a constitutional crisis? I doubt it. Any government that is powerful to force a doctor to perform srs surgery on someone is also powerful enough to make a trans person do things they don't want to do. It cuts both ways.

Sophiaprincess2019:
Doctors have a lot of choices. They can choose to violate laws, write bad prescriptions, engage in medical malpractice and a host of other ill-advised activities but why would they? My Physicians support my decision to live an authentic life with pride and intelligent decision making.

So I guess what I'm really saying in short: Just because they (Doctors) can (refuse) doesn't mean they will.

Sophia

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version